Buying a mooring ?

CompairHolman

Featured Posts

Has anyone investigated into buying offside land on a CRT canal and creating their own mooring ?

Does CRT have a policy on this , would they never allow it, or would they consider it ?

We want to know because when were out and about on our boat we sometimes see spots that would make a nice mooring and we start dreaming of our perfect mooring isolated out in the countryside, a vegetable patch for me, and the wife wants to open a hedgehog hospital for some reason !

Better we know now if there's no chance of it being allowed.

1 minute ago, CompairHolman said:

Has anyone investigated into buying offside land on a CRT canal and creating their own mooring ?

Does CRT have a policy on this , would they never allow it, or would they consider it ?

We want to know because when were out and about on our boat we sometimes see spots that would make a nice mooring and we start dreaming of our perfect mooring isolated out in the countryside, a vegetable patch for me, and the wife wants to open a hedgehog hospital for some reason !

Its been done numerous times countywide, and at the end of many peoples gardens. Some get allowed some dont. It is not a cheap thing to do especialy on a nice rural stretch.

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its been done numerous times countywide, and at the end of many peoples gardens. Some get allowed some dont. It is not a cheap thing to do especialy on a nice rural stretch.

And if you want to live there you need planning consent

It might be allowed, it might not, its up to CaRT to decide and you have to pay to make an application. Will it upset navigation???? The offside is usually shallow so you will likely need to dredge, you Must use a CaRT approved contractor for this, budget for £10,000.

After this investment CaRT still reserve the right to remove their permission at a later if they so wish, but they do say they won't be unreasonable. Maybe somebody building a new marina nearby could be a reason, I really don't know. Even if its not residential you still might need planning permission.

.................Dave

12 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

You might have better luck trying rivers - there are quite often plots available on the Nene and Soar

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

You might have better luck trying rivers - there are quite often plots available on the Nene and Soar 

And if buying land alongside a River, it would NORMALLY come with rights that you own up to the centre of the River (check with your Solicitor before buying) so that C&RT cannot stop you having a mooring.

Add "plots available on the Trent" to the list.

Over the last few years, several boaters have created such moorings, with gardens or veg. plots, below Cropredy. I do not know if these have been bought or rented from the farmer. Alan is correct in saying that a river mooring usually comes with riparian rights - our end-of-garden one does.

Beware though: you'll have no water, electricity, road access or sewage disposal, so in inclement weather it might not be quite the good life that you imagine it to be.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And if buying land alongside a River, it would NORMALLY come with rights that you own up to the centre of the River (check with your Solicitor before buying) so that C&RT cannot stop you having a mooring.

Add "plots available on the Trent" to the list.

Best check with cart whether they are in or out of the main navigable channel.

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

Best check with cart whether they are in or out of the main navigable channel.

According to which of the definitions they adopt?

Irrelevant though, as official recognition is given in BW's old EoG 'informative' (long since brushed under the carpet as it is) to riparian rights of mooring on rivers. Referred and linked to several times here, over the years, within identical topics, but the link no longer gets anywhere. If I remember next week, when back at a 'proper' computer, I will try to find it.

• Greenie 1