Sterling Alternator no output

regginald

Featured Posts

Can someone point me to where sterling sells alternators without regulators?

https://sterling-power.com/collections/alternators-1/products/high-power-performance-alternators

Simplest thing is to take alternator to somewhere like this

http://www.kingslynnautoelectrical.co.uk/our-product-range/starter-motors-alternators/

And get it tested!

Edited by Loddon

7 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Possible but then the PDAR would have to be in a distinctly labeled box as it is no longer a PDAR and as they are sold as seperates I can't see that this is the case.

In any case wiring it in with just a bulb and a length of wire will prove it or otherwise.

Neither can I but just one phone call to Mr Sterling makes me very suspicious of the company values.

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Can someone point me to where sterling sells alternators without regulators?

https://sterling-power.com/collections/alternators-1/products/high-power-performance-alternators

I agree but then we have the OP's statement of what Mr Sterling supposedly told him.

If this was an Ebay bargain, as I suspect it was,  it could have been part of a cancelled special order for something bespoke. Sterling supply far more than just the marine industry.

This is from the Sterling site and clearly says alternator with standard reg or Alternator with standard and PDAR .... As i said in my earlier post when fitting, the instructions state you must get the alternator wired and working BEFORE connecting the PDAR ... that way you ensure the alternator wiring and the bulb you choose to fit are correct.

Description Part Number
12V 200A alternator with standard reg AL12200
12V 200A alternator with standard & PDAR AL12200PDAR
12V 140A alternator with standard reg (supplied with multi v and twin v pulley) AL12140
12V 140A alternator with standard and PDAR (supplied with multi v and twin v pulley) AL12140PDAR
24V 150A alternator with standard reg AL24140
24V 150A alternator with standard and PDAR AL12140PDAR

Rick

:banghead::banghead: So we have the Sterling website APPARENTLY contradicting Mr Sterling himself. I have no idea if that alternator has an inbuilt regulator or not but until that is proven I would have thought that we can only proceed on the basis of Mr Sterling's reported statement, be it correctly reported or not.

As I said it could be the remains of a special order so not be on the website. Until the OP clarifies somehow we simply can not know. I do not see the value in speculating on the basis of the website or past experience. This one just might be something different/special.

I appreciate you are as upset as i would be, but i think you need to look at this in a slightly different light.

1) establish by third party assessment that the product is faulty, and this was a manufacturing not installation issue.

2)  if yes pursue the seller. I suspect that you bought from a non approved re seller..

3) if above is true there is no point pursuing sterling because your re seller may have bought some sterling equipment built or modified for a specific use, not suitable for your needs. 

Clearly sterling have had issues with this supplier in the past and are not willing to pick up the pieces. 

5 hours ago, Loddon said:

In case it was missed

Simplest thing is to take alternator to somewhere like this

http://www.kingslynnautoelectrical.co.uk/our-product-range/starter-motors-alternators/

And get it tested!

couldnt agree more ... i also suggested this in my original post ...can only be faulty ... not correctly wired or be using the wrong size bulb , or of course be some kind of special

Rick

Edited by dccruiser

Looking at the Stirling site  https://sterling-power.com/collections/alternators-1/products/high-power-performance-alternators   All the AL12200 are quoted as having standard regulators fitted with or without the PDAR. It makes no claim to the alternator being modified or different.

So I would be happy that the alternator has a regulator and that being new, it is most likely to be a connection problem than anything else. 

For a insulated return alternator to work it has to have a connection to the battery positive on B+, a connection via the warning light to the ignition on D+ and a connection to the battery negative on B-. Any one of these missing? If so it will not charge.

5 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Looking at the Stirling site  https://sterling-power.com/collections/alternators-1/products/high-power-performance-alternators   All the AL12200 are quoted as having standard regulators fitted with or without the PDAR. It makes no claim to the alternator being modified or different.

So I would be happy that the alternator has a regulator and that being new, it is most likely to be a connection problem than anything else. 

For a insulated return alternator to work it has to have a connection to the battery positive on B+, a connection via the warning light to the ignition on D+ and a connection to the battery negative on B-. Any one of these missing? If so it will not charge.

And that is one reason I asked for a photo but unfortunately the OP declined and does not seem to have been back for ages so we must conclude its fixed..

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Well we try Tony.

Perhaps I should of thought about the -B terminal sooner, the OP did seem to be beating his chest a bit.

I think he did state he only had a B+, D+ and the white fly lead but experience tells me what members claim may well not be accurate.

41 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think he did state he only had a B+, D+ and the white fly lead...

Yes he did. As you say though, experience shows that we shouldn’t always believe what posters tell us. But then some of them get most offended when we suggest they’ve missed out a piece of info. 

It also doesn’t answer why Charles Sterling told OP that it ‘wouldn’t work’ without the PDAR, in direct contradiction to what the web site states. 

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes he did. As you say though, experience shows that we shouldn’t always believe what posters tell us. But then some of them get most offended when we suggest they’ve missed out a piece of info. 

It also doesn’t answer why Charles Sterling told OP that it ‘wouldn’t work’ without the PDAR, in direct contradiction to what the web site states. 

My experience of Mr Sterling (just once on the phone) and some of eh OP's language makes me suspect he got fed up with him and as someone said there is some indication that this involves an unofficial reseller that has caused Sterling problems in the past.  As we don't know what Mr Sterling knows about the alternator & its source and the OP seems to have gone away I doubt we will ever know.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

As we don't know what Mr Sterling knows about the alternator & its source and the OP seems to have gone away I doubt we will ever know.

Yup. Shame really. It would be nice to put this one to bed. 

the alternator from ebay was duff and was repaired by local alternator repairer. please do not buy any sterling products from the ebay seller new as sterling do not recognize the warranty and the seller doesn't respond either. Charles sterling wont even discuss the products unless you purchased from him directly. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/beacon-and-lightbars