Hoover which one

Mike E-W

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Mike E-W said:

currently use Dyson hand held small unit  easy to charge and store but its not very good anyone recommend a good hoover

Maybe you have an 'older generation Dyson'.

We bought one of the Dysons (hand held - with an extension tube - cordless from Aldi (last year) and its performance is on a par with the 'full-size' hoover. It picks up all the dog hairs and everything else.

It is actually so good that we have taken it home 'for the Winter' and it gets used in preference to the 'big Dyson'.

The only downside to it is that the pick-up width is a bit small and it takes ages to do a room (not a problem on the boat)

• Greenie 1

For a full-size mains operated machine you can't beat a Henry (Numatic). That's what the professionals use by choice.

IMO a hand-held vacuum will always be pretty pathetic by comparison, so buy a cheap one and chuck it away when it breaks.

No vacuum cleaner is so good that you can't do without it for a few days.

28 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

For a full-size mains operated machine you can't beat a Henry (Numatic). That's what the professionals use by choice.

IMO a hand-held vacuum will always be pretty pathetic by comparison, so buy a cheap one and chuck it away when it breaks.

Absolutely correct. When we had pubs we tried all kinds to include two brand new free Dysons given to us by the MD from the Dyson factory over the road, they were completely crap and we left them in a cupboard at the pub when we left. Henry and his pals are still to be had for £100 and take all the knocks and bangs and do a sterling job. We have had Nilfisk commercial ones but they are several hundred quid although they too are very good. The OP wants hand held though and may not have oodles of cupboard space like we do on our boat.

5 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

The Numatic George is even better than Henry, coz he can suck up water from the bilges and clean carpets as well.  ?

Main problem is finding room for him and his attachments on a boat.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last sentance

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

The Numatic George is even better than Henry, coz he can suck up water from the bilges and clean carpets as well.  ?

I wouldn’t be able to make room for a HENRY or a George on the boat, but a Dyson V6 and a 240v upright fit fine.

20 hours ago, Mike E-W said:

currently use Dyson hand held small unit its about 6 years old   easy to charge and store but its not very good anyone recommend a good hoover

prefer hand held unit

We bought an AEG Ergorapido a number of years ago for use at home, since when our big Miele has spent most of it's time in the cupboard. Although we only use it in the house and re-charge it throught the mains, I have noted that the charger draw is only 0.6 amps on 240v , so it should theoretically

charge easily on even the smallest inverter. The only downside is that the hand held extension is not very long, so reaching into deeper spaces is a problem, although a longer extension designed for a different cleaner my well fit.

I tried Googling the AEG Ergorapido, and it seems that it may have been replaced by a newer model but some might still be avauilable on line. This one looks identical to ours :=  https://ao.com/product/cx7235wr-aeg-cordless-vacuum-cleaner-red-61153-155.aspx?&WT.z_PT=SDA&WT.z_AT=Cordless Vacuum Cleaner&WT.z_MT=Search&WT.z_MAT=AEG&WT.z_FT=Free Standing&WT.z_PC=CX7-2-35WR_WR&WT.srch=1&WT.z_KW=CX7-2-35WR_WR&WT.z_DT=c&WT.z_RTM=PLA&WT.z_CN=SDA Genie - Vacuum Cleaner - AEG&WT.z_AG=Brand Type&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6eXIir7g3wIVgbHtCh1BpAHHEAQYASABEgJRm_D_BwE

15 hours ago, cuthound said:

If you had bought a whole boat there would be no problem with storage ? Trouble with those piddly little sixty footers is the sardine tin interiors. Even though our boat is too short realy we have a henry oover in one cupboard and a full size wet vac in another for exterior use :P

If you use makita 18v tools then screwfix are doing a good price on the makita vacuum

Screwfix makita 18v vacuum

Vacumm is well made but basic and you won't be doing any deep cleaning with it, more than adequate for picking up dust though. 

You will need the batteries though and genuine ones can be expensive. 

After a lot of searching I purchased 2 x 4ah genuine batteries and a fast charger for £123.99 from Powertoolmate on ebay. 

The batteries are compatible with a lot of the makita 18v range. 

Makita 18v 4a batteries x 2 and charger

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If you had bought a whole boat there would be no problem with storage ? Trouble with those piddly little sixty footers is the sardine tin interiors. Even though our boat is too short realy we have a henry oover in one cupboard and a full size wet vac in another for exterior use :P

Well on my piddly 60 footer George will fit under the rear deck boards, next to the engine, along with my tools, spare oil etc.

However he is just as useful at home, so often lives in the airing cupboard tire rather than the boat. ?

On 08/01/2019 at 15:45, mrsmelly said:

Absolutely correct. When we had pubs we tried all kinds to include two brand new free Dysons given to us by the MD from the Dyson factory over the road, they were completely crap and we left them in a cupboard at the pub when we left. Henry and his pals are still to be had for £100 and take all the knocks and bangs and do a sterling job. We have had Nilfisk commercial ones but they are several hundred quid although they too are very good. The OP wants hand held though and may not have oodles of cupboard space like we do on our boat.

They are still available but you can't get the higher powered one anymore. The older ones were 1200w, which is the one we have at home. The new ones are only 620w.

For the boat we have a handheld jobbie that we bought cheap off Ebay when the Dyson brightly coloured piece of plastic tat bailed out. It is much better than the Dyson and much cheaper. One of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightweight-Handheld-Bagless-HEPA-Filtration-Sleek-Blue-845W-Vacuum-Cleaner-Vac-/362432989267?hash=item5462b08853

We didn't pay anything like that price though. From my Ebay history it was £36!!

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You have a "tire" (American spelling ?) as an airing cupboard - how does that work then ?

Would it be like a spin-dryer ?

Spillchucker has mangled what I wrote. Problem is I can't work out what I originally meant to write ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Spillchucker has mangled what I wrote. Problem is I can't work out what I originally meant to write ?

I found myself stood with my hand on the fridge door handle the other day. I paused for a moment as I couldnt remember if I had just put something in the fridge or if I was about to open it to take something out ?

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I found myself stood with my hand on the fridge door handle the other day. I paused for a moment as I couldnt remember if I had just put something in the fridge or if I was about to open it to take something out ?

I think we are of a similar age and I find it happening to me more often. 

IIRC they are called "senior moments" ?

• Greenie 1

On 08/01/2019 at 15:11, Machpoint005 said:

Used to have one of these. Excellent vacs. Two down sides where the storage space required and the power consumption being near the limit of the inverter when cruising, so went hand held battery vacuum cleaner.

23 hours ago, reg said:

If you use makita 18v tools then screwfix are doing a good price on the makita vacuum

Screwfix makita 18v vacuum

Vacumm is well made but basic and you won't be doing any deep cleaning with it, more than adequate for picking up dust though. 

You will need the batteries though and genuine ones can be expensive. 

After a lot of searching I purchased 2 x 4ah genuine batteries and a fast charger for £123.99 from Powertoolmate on ebay. 

The batteries are compatible with a lot of the makita 18v range. 

Makita 18v 4a batteries x 2 and charger

Got one of these to replace the Henry, which went to a land based friend. They are designed for tradespeople to clear up after/during their work, so good for picking up particulate matter like coal dust, sawdust. Less good at hair. Takes up little space. If you are part of the makita cult, then you already have the batteries, so a cheap, compact boat cleaner. If you are not, then this will be the gateway tool in to buying more Makita stuff.

Jen

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

At least you don't open the fridge door first, then stare into it for ages, like the Memsahib....,

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Got one of these to replace the Henry, which went to a land based friend. They are designed for tradespeople to clear up after/during their work, so good for picking up particulate matter like coal dust, sawdust. Less good at hair. Takes up little space. If you are part of the makita cult, then you already have the batteries, so a cheap, compact boat cleaner. If you are not, then this will be the gateway tool in to buying more Makita stuff.

Just bought myself a twin 18v makita chainsaw to replace defunct petrol jobby, needed the batteries and charger. As most the time the batteries would be sitting there doing nothing thought I would treat myself to  vacuum as well particularly as Screwfix were doing them at a very good price. 

Initially I was disappointed with the vacuum, does not compare to mains vacuum in any way, but then I began to appreciate it for what it was and I am now more than happy with it. Very useful for a quick clean around the fire plinth area. 

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Found myself at a double lock one day after a very long days boating, drained the lock, opened the gates, closed the lock, filled the lock up, thought to myself something doesn't seem right here and the it clicked I had forgot to put the boat in. 

• Haha 3

We bought a compact mains powered wet and dry vac from Asda for buttons. I believe that its dry performance is almost as good as the Henry machines that we always had in the school where I once worked (agree with others that they are brilliant), and has the advantage of being a wet vac which is great when you live on a boat. Only criticisms are that the flex is too short, (so I lengthened it) and the pipe looks a bit flimsy, but has lasted OK. I have another on standby off a different machine.
Can't fault it for the money.

Edited by Guest