Square D pressure switch for water pump

frangar

Featured Posts

I’m thinking of fitting a Square D pressure switch to control my jabsco parmax 4. I think the model number I need is 9013FRG22J36

9013FRG22J36

However this seems to be hard to get in the UK! I need a switch that is suitable for water...cuts out at 25psi and cuts in at 10psi. I’ve tried emailing the UK distributor but they don’t seem that interested in one unit! 

If anyone knows a UK supplier before I order it from the states or indeed another suitable model that’s available Id be very interested. 

Got my last one from Acorn Engineering 3 Turner St Denton  I think but it was an Italian equivalent.

20 Item(s)

SHOW                                                               10                                                                                  20                                                                                  50                                                     
  1. Pressure Switch, adjustable
    Ex VAT: £27.37Inc. VAT: £32.84

Depends on which thread diameter it is. The two thread forms are different NPT is 60 deg and BSP is 55 but size for size the TPI are sometimes different, sometimes the same or nearly so.

Best have an adaptor or run a tap into the hole if the TPI match.

N

37 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Depends on which thread diameter it is. The two thread forms are different NPT is 60 deg and BSP is 55 but size for size the TPI are sometimes different, sometimes the same or nearly so.

Best have an adaptor or run a tap into the hole if the TPI match.

N

It’s 1/4 inch BSP or 0.25in NPSF according to the relevant data sheets....both of which I think are a parallel thread so I’d use PTFE tape 

edited to add

Ive found some brass adapters on eBay so all is good! 

Now to decide if I go with the Acorn one or the RS one!  (I’ve got an RS account which might still work!) 

Edited by frangar

3 hours ago, Split Pin said:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pressure-switches/1242125/

This one should do the job it is within the range that you need but will need adjusting to match your needs.

Steve

Am I missing something or does this one only go down to 15psi as a cut in pressure? I was hoping to get to 10psi to allow the accumulator to do more work....the inbuilt pressure switch on the pump cycles from 15-25psi which I’d like to take lower to reduce pump cycling....my old pump went down to 10psi and it seemed to work well. 

12 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

Don't forget they are adjustable.

Yes but only over a set range...hence wanting the model I originally listed....there are a lot of model variations hence picking the right one! The model range is baffling..you need to select the right upper cut out and then make sure the pressure differential is right to get the cut in pressure....even the data sheets seem designed to confuse! ..hence my questions. 

26 minutes ago, frangar said:

Yes but only over a set range...hence wanting the model I originally listed....there are a lot of model variations hence picking the right one! The model range is baffling..you need to select the right upper cut out and then make sure the pressure differential is right to get the cut in pressure....even the data sheets seem designed to confuse! ..hence my questions. 

Looks like this might work for you...

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/pressure-switches/1242170/

I would agree that the data sheets seem to make it difficult and it does depend on which one you find to look at

Switches with either FSW2 or FSG2 as part of their number have a

Cut in of 5-45 psi

Differential adjustment of 15-30 psi

Cut in Range 20-65 psi

So setting the cut in at 25 minus the lowest differential gives you 10 psi cut in

The J20 means that the Cut out pressure is within the 20-40 psi range as standard

image.png.f50813a5ebe170ca76f29991e10ed276.png

At least thats the way that I read it.

You dont need to have an account as such with RS but you do need to have a user Id and the price that you see is what you pay. i.e no extra for postage

Steve

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Looking at the datasheet the range is pretty much the same as the Square D one.

Telemecanique own Square D

Looking at the picture they have a very similar action but with an updated switch which resembles a motor contacter.

As the Squre D Pumptrol switch has been around for at least 35 years to my knowledge maybe this will become its replacement.

Steve

Edited by Split Pin

7 minutes ago, Split Pin said:

Looking at the datasheet the range is pretty much the same as the Square D one.

Telemecanique own Square D so they may well be much the same under the cover.

Steve

???

I thought it was 0.3bar. That’s less than 5psi

If your aim is to reduce pump cycling, if you have room, you could get a bigger accumulator, mine is 25litres. I can, even at my size, get enough water out of it to have the first part of a shower before the pump cuts in. However pump does run for over one and a half minutes to fill it up again this means it never cycles as such.

Edited by Loddon

19 minutes ago, Loddon said:

If your aim is to reduce pump cycling, if you have room, you could get a bigger accumulator, mine is 25litres. I can, even at my size, get enough water out of it to have the first part of a shower before the pump cuts in. However pump does run for over one and a half minutes to fill it up again this means it never cycles as such.

I need to increase the pressure differential too....at the moment I’m getting less than a litre from a nominal 5 litre accumulator. I’ve pointed out to jabsco that the switches on the parmax 4 plus are rubbish but they don’t seem bothered....I must say I used to like parmax pumps but I’m not too impressed with the “plus” range. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Interesting....that looks like an updated version as split pin has said....it didn’t come up on my search...,,what is the “G” thread tho?  I’m off to google! 

Edit...

Turns out G is the same as Parallel BSP! 

Edited by frangar

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the switch as recommended by Wotever in post #10...slight issue was the lack of pressure gauge due to the one I ordered falling apart as detailed in another thread..to get round this I fitted the switch then used the existing switch in the pump to  get the adjustment in the right area....nowhere does it tell you what the Telemecanique switches are set to out of the box which is annoying but my method got there. I fitted it using a Hep20 spigot to 1/2” BSP then a brass adaptor to 1/4” BSP. 

Once it was set roughly I wired the pump thro it and then connected a digital tyre pressure gauge to the accumulator to get it spot on....would have been easier with someone else to open & close taps etc but got there in the end. 

Now have a water system that’s working much better....the pressure switches on the jabsco parmax 4 plus are dire...mine kept rapidly cycling when it got up to pressure even with an accumulator...turns out it also was cutting out at 10 psi over the stated pressure. The new switch seems to be able to cope with the thermostatic mixer on the shower better as well. 

I will fit a gauge at some point to aid any trouble shooting in the future. 

Ive also found this model rated at 6 bar since receiving my 12 bar model...I think either would do the job for most people tho. 

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/pressure-switches/1242163/

Hopefully this might be of use to others in the future!