Anybody Recognise This Lock?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

OK. I was correct! 

Here's a 1902 picture from http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/1900to1949gallery15.html

There are two sets of ground paddles at the head of the lock.

bensonj02_coltlock02.jpg

Interesting that this photo clearly shows both paddles but the one on the right is better maintained. In Alan's original picture what we can see of the cottage side paddle it is very well maintained. In my picture it has gone and the lock is quite decrepit although probably usable. For a lock that vanished in 1912 there is a remarkable collection of photos giving a record of decline 

12 hours ago, mark99 said:

Meged old/new

Untitled.jpg

I need a trip to Coltishall....

Edited by magpie patrick

12 hours ago, Peter X said:

So that latest picture, of the boat (Norfolk wherry?) with its mast down shows us how the photo could have had a boat mast in it.

As to the date, I have a feeling that the lady is more Victorian than Edwardian, as there was a trend to bigger more elaborate hats after Edward came to the throne. But she might just have been old fashioned!

I wonder if the distinctive bag/case on the lady's lap could be dated? It looks quite unusual. 

The government 1888 returns show the River Bure as having no locks, though with an annual return of just £213 for the whole river, they probably were not to worried about exact details. There was a wherry builder at Coltishall called Allen who built the 'Gleaner', for which the lines survive.

Re the gates, many East Anglian locks show similarities with some those built in Holland, and could lack balance beams, as in this photo of Oulton Lock. The lack of clearance over the top of the gate in the original photo may be a result of the mill being alongside, where the weir would provide sufficient capacity for flood waters.

Oulton Lock.jpg

3 hours ago, Pluto said:

The government 1888 returns show the River Bure as having no locks, though with an annual return of just £213 for the whole river, they probably were not to worried about exact details. There was a wherry builder at Coltishall called Allen who built the 'Gleaner', for which the lines survive.

Re the gates, many East Anglian locks show similarities with some those built in Holland, and could lack balance beams, as in this photo of Oulton Lock. The lack of clearance over the top of the gate in the original photo may be a result of the mill being alongside, where the weir would provide sufficient capacity for flood waters.

Oulton Lock.jpg

Mutford Lock is a tidal lock so has back to back gates at each end as half the time you lock up into Oulton Broad and half the time Down depending on tied heights. I don't know if it overtopped last night with the high tides

These images are said to be Burgh Lock in 1927 (looking downstream at the top gates) and Buxton Lock in 1928 (looking upstream into the lock from the lower gates). Burgh lock appears to have gate paddles at the top and I fancy I can see paddles on the top gates of Buxton Lock, although the image doesn't blow up well and good old Mr Gestalt may be kicking in. The top gates do look full depth though, as in they reach the lower water level so less need for ground paddles. 

If the other locks did have top gate paddles those ground paddles at Coltishall may have been unique

Buxton-lock-1928.jpg

Burgh lock 1927.jpg