Alternative dip stick for PRM 150 gearbox

luggsy

Featured Posts

Just thought I would show you a simple dip stick I have for the 150 gearbox as a few people struggle to see the oil on the dip stick, the orange top fits perfectly and the wood dowel shows the oil so you get a true reading 

IMG_3572.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

• Greenie 1

I’ve used a .410 shotgun cleaning rod. Works well but will be slightly harder to see the level than your wooden one. 

Is the product a vitamin C drink tablet shaped like a polo with the rod up the middle?

1 hour ago, MHS said:

I’ve used a .410 shotgun cleaning rod. Works well but will be slightly harder to see the level than your wooden one. 

Is the product a vitamin C drink tablet shaped like a polo with the rod up the middle?

Yes vitamin tablet , no hole in the middle , I drilled a hole in the bottom off the tube so you can put it back in the tube so you don't break the stick 

1 hour ago, Wrinkley said:

Take the original dip stick out and lay it on toilet tissue, dah-dar, you can see the oil! 

I used to do this on a technodrive box and it worked.

1 hour ago, Wrinkley said:

Take the original dip stick out and lay it on toilet tissue, dah-dar, you can see the oil! 

42 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes that's what I do, bit of kitchen towel.

12 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Ditto

Phil

Yep, I've used that method for years and it works in almost every application.  Somehow, however, it's not at all definitive with the PRM150. Others here have reported having the same experience with the PRM150 and fresh oil.