Unwanted Kelvin K2

Nati

Featured Posts

I have a Kelvin K2 that's unwanted.

It's currently in my narrowboat in Aquaduct marina on hard standing. The boat has removable roof panel which would need to be opened and the K2 diconnected from the prop shaft and unbolted from the floor then craned out. You will need a hiab and be able to do this job alone as I won't be present.

I wouldn't mind a bit of money toward a new engine that goes when you turn a key, any takers?

Cheers.

Surely it is not possible for a K2 to be unwanted, everybody must want to own one, but maybe is not able to do so. You mean that you currently have a boat that is not suitable for a K2.

................Dave

The engine should be worth a few £K -possibly enough to go a good way towards a new engine. I would get a price from the boatyard to disconnect it and lift it out -anyone else doing it might be a problem with access and insurance. If you put it on ebay you might get a buyer who will collect it when they lift it out.

29 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

The engine should be worth a few £K -possibly enough to go a good way towards a new engine. I would get a price from the boatyard to disconnect it and lift it out -anyone else doing it might be a problem with access and insurance. If you put it on ebay you might get a buyer who will collect it when they lift it out.

Very good advice, if you sell it somebody who is not experienced in "lifting" and they drop it then it would probably go right through the floor of your boat. ?

I assume the boat is up on blocks, and the K2 is a tall engine, so this is going to be quite a high lift, you don't want some amateurs with a tripod of 3 by 2's and a block and tackle..

..............Dave

A (sad) sign of the times; fewer folks prepared to polish, fettle and enjoy the sound and vibration of a true 'traditional' engine....

No disrespect to the OP who probably wants the comfort and space released by putting a more modern engine in the boat.

8 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

A (sad) sign of the times; fewer folks prepared to polish, fettle and enjoy the sound and vibration of a true 'traditional' engine....

No disrespect to the OP who probably wants the comfort and space released by putting a more modern engine in the boat.

To be fair I think the op did quite fancy the Kelvin and this forum changed her mind (in a recent thread). She has just purchased a "project" boat which has the K2 "half installed" in what is probably an unsuitable boat.

If she was braver and/or wealthier she should remove and store the K2, Renovate the current boat, fit a modern engine, then sell boat and seek a shell more suitable for the K2.

............Dave

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

To be fair I think the op did quite fancy the Kelvin and this forum changed her mind (in a recent thread). She has just purchased a "project" boat which has the K2 "half installed" in what is probably an unsuitable boat.

If she was braver and/or wealthier she should remove and store the K2, Renovate the current boat, fit a modern engine, then sell boat and seek a shell more suitable for the K2.

............Dave

Mine was a general observation  and not implying any criticism  of the OP However, apologies for being too lazy to look up the original thread.

Edited by OldGoat

Just now, OldGoat said:

Mine was a general comment and not an attack on the OP. Apologies for being too lazy to look up the original thread.

I doubt the OP drives around in an antiquated car and quite rigtly doesnt want similar hassle with the boat engine, I know I wouldnt.  I like to use my boat daily not mess about with it.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I doubt the OP drives around in an antiquated car and quite rigtly doesnt want similar hassle with the boat engine, I know I wouldnt.  I like to use my boat daily not mess about with it.

How dull...personally I like my transport to have character be it land or water based....still at least someone that appreciates it will get an engine that will outlast them for not much money hopefully  

• Greenie 2

23 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Mine was a general observation  and not implying any criticism  of the OP However, apologies for being too lazy to look up the original thread.

The previous thread had stuck in my head, mostly because I count myself among those who would love a K2 but cant easily accommodate one.

I do agree with you, the boats on the canal are getting blander and blander with more and more "bog standard cruiser stern clonecraft" and increasingly boring fat narrowboats. Ive got nothing against big boats, I could quite fancy a dutch barge on the Thames.?

I don't know if anything can be done, the loss of Steve Hudson was bad news whether or not you like his particular style of boat, I also wonder if all the new EEC rules about vintage engines are putting people off? I think these days people take the paperwork and rules much too seriously. 

Also the "proper" boat builders are getting to the end of their careers and Idon't see many youngsters stepping in to their boots.

.............Dave

Surely there s much we don't know here?

This 65 foot 2001 boat, including the K2, was on sale at a brokerage with an asking of about £14K, if I remember.  Not sure what OP has paid, but presumably no more than this!

Admittedly the boat had been gutted, but none-the-less that is an absurdly low price for a brokerage to ask for a 2001 boat with a K2, (assuming the shell itself is not a rust-bucket!).

For what ever reason the brokerage, at least, must have decided this is not a very desirable example if a K2, and cannot have placed a very high valuation on the engine, given that the overall £14K price included a boat as well.

Yet again, as in the previous threads about this boat,  people seem to be assuming this is a desirable engine that could be dropped into a boat and be up and running without major expense.  I have to say that based on what we have been told, that sounds highly unlikely, or I'm sure Aqueduct would have been asking a lot more money.

Without knowing far more about the engine it is surely not possible to say what kind f money "Nati" should be looking for?

Edited by alan_fincher

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

The previous thread had stuck in my head, mostly because I count myself among those who would love a K2 but cant easily accommodate one.

I do agree with you, the boats on the canal are getting blander and blander with more and more "bog standard cruiser stern clonecraft" and increasingly boring fat narrowboats. Ive got nothing against big boats, I could quite fancy a dutch barge on the Thames.?

I don't know if anything can be done, the loss of Steve Hudson was bad news whether or not you like his particular style of boat, I also wonder if all the new EEC rules about vintage engines are putting people off? I think these days people take the paperwork and rules much too seriously. 

Also the "proper" boat builders are getting to the end of their careers and Idon't see many youngsters stepping in to their boots.

.............Dave

Thing is Dave that I love old engines but as a liveaboard I need comfort and ease of use, hence clonecraft which are specced as such. My bro in law lives aboard now and moved on to his hobby boat three years ago with its old lister, engine room etc etc. Its a fab boat and he loves tinkering BUT after cruising six months this summer with us his boat is at present for sale on the duck and he is looking for a boat like mine, he has offered me a substantial sum over what I paid for mine as he realy wants it, but it aint for sale. People dont run around in morris eight series e's any more or Standard flying twelves ( both of which I have owned amongst many others ) the reasons are obvious. Its the way people are now hence more and more boats with decent electrical systems etc etc. I know some liveaboards hang on to and enjoy their old kit but its not many in the great scheme of things. I must add that if I were a hobby boater my view would probably be different.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thing is Dave that I love old engines but as a liveaboard I need comfort and ease of use, hence clonecraft which are specced as such. My bro in law lives aboard now and moved on to his hobby boat three years ago with its old lister, engine room etc etc. Its a fab boat and he loves tinkering BUT after cruising six months this summer with us his boat is at present for sale on the duck and he is looking for a boat like mine, he has offered me a substantial sum over what I paid for mine as he realy wants it, but it aint for sale. People dont run around in morris eight series e's any more or Standard flying twelves ( both of which I have owned amongst many others ) the reasons are obvious. Its the way people are now hence more and more boats with decent electrical systems etc etc. I know some liveaboards hang on to and enjoy their old kit but its not many in the great scheme of things. I must add that if I were a hobby boater my view would probably be different.

As i've said before, we have the Beta JD3 which is a good compromise for a liveaboard. After spending quite a bit of time with mtb and his Kelvins I did think seriously about whether a K2 would fit in our boat, but concluded that the JD3 is the right engine for us.

There is of course an obvious way forward for both of us....TWO boats, a liveaboard boat and a hobby boat.?

..............Dave

Just now, dmr said:

As i've said before, we have the Beta JD3 which is a good compromise for a liveaboard. After spending quite a bit of time with mtb and his Kelvins I did think seriously about whether a K2 would fit in our boat, but concluded that the JD3 is the right engine for us.

There is of course an obvious way forward for both of us....TWO boats, a liveaboard boat and a hobby boat.?

..............Dave

Make sure the playing out boat can fit up the Calder & Hebble and the L&L - you will like them!

No wait, you won't like them because of the sharks and the dark satanic mills and the general "grim up North" thing.

;)

15 minutes ago, dmr said:

..............Dave

Yeah I forgot you had a JD3. I could live with one of those no problem and you can fit a travel power on one, a good bit of kit. I as a pauper cant afford two boats ☹️

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Make sure the playing out boat can fit up the Calder & Hebble and the L&L - you will like them!

No wait, you won't like them because of the sharks and the dark satanic mills and the general "grim up North" thing.

;)

Yes, its only dreaming (I think) but a Rochdale winter hobby boat would be nice. A little tug of about 50 foot, probably with a K2. Would need to do the Calder and Hebble at one end and also turn in the winding hole on the summit.

It is pretty grey and grim up here lately, and plenty of satanic mills too, but we like this sort of thing. You don't need to put people off, the huge number of wide locks does that. On the K&A the liveaboards spend a whole year getting prepared to do Caan Hill, up here you do a Caan Hill every time you move ?.

.................Dave

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah I forgot you had a JD3. I could live with one of those no problem and you can fit a travel power on one, a good bit of kit. I as a pauper cant afford two boats ☹️

Its got loads of torque which is just perfect for driving the TravelPower.

I thought you had cut down on beer?,    you will save enough money for another boat in no time at all ?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yes, its only dreaming (I think) but a Rochdale winter hobby boat would be nice. A little tug of about 50 foot, probably with a K2. Would need to do the Calder and Hebble at one end and also turn in the winding hole on the summit.

Well I know where you can get an unwanted K2 ...

Is this Hobby Boater a new term? what please is the definition of a hobby boater & what guide lines are used to pigeon hole the various groups ?,My view would be allexcept the fuel &trip boats would be leisure /pleasure boats

• 2 weeks later...