New to canal barges and your forum

Frenchmke

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Frenchmke said:

Please can you give me an idea how wide are 10 ft barges on the inside, on average. 

Soyez le bienvenu!

A bit less than ten feet....maybe subtract a few inches for insuklation, so about 9'6"....but that is only up to the gunwales - side decks are from 4" to 6" wide on average, so above the gunwales the internal width would be in the region of 8'6", I would guess. That's on British-built barges: as you'll be aware, French ones often have wider side decks.

6 minutes ago, Frenchmke said:

Please can you give me an idea how wide are 10 ft barges on the inside, on average. 

This may help to give you some idea. You should be able to get a feel for internal width by looking at the appropriate drawing on their web site.

http://newandusedboat.co.uk/eurocruiser-widebeam-canal-boat/

Howard

18 minutes ago, Frenchmke said:

They feel alot wider than narrowboats, even tho there's only 3ft in it, if your commissioning one, prob best to have a feel of one in flesh first.

Edited by Robbo

if you go for a more continental / dutch barge style, you'll have less tumblehome so more interior width where it matters - at shoulder height. Not terribly usable on some of the English canals (e.g. Grand Union and other 'not very broad canals')