Another Lithium battery thread

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ohhh! My bell teacher works there. He blows stuff up for a living....

Blaster Bates used to do that. Now if nothing will tempt Rusty out of hiding, nothing will....only 2 posts to go to his million.....and then a party.

22 hours ago, peterboat said:

Mine must be charged because the solar charger says zero amps going in, until the fridge kicks in then for a short time it reads a couple of amps ?

20 hours ago, peterboat said:

Its fine voltage set at 13.8 volts absorb float at 13.6 works great batteries all balanced..............I think or they were last time I checked

Peter,

All the stuff I've read says do not keep charging if up to 100%. You are obviously at 100% from the first quote. I read one study that said even just holding at 100% for 12 months gave a 10% reduction in capacity. Charging at 13.6V when full appears to damage the cathode (?) ...I think they said that was Lithium plating.

I know it will only happen for a few hours a day in your case once the solar has replaced the overnight reduction in charge. The effect of this problem will be a reduction in capacity but you are not going to notice that .....but over the years? .....and then expensive to replace.

I worried about this exact problem. Its easy to terminate charge with the alternator/battery charger/Solar at 30amps by restricting the voltage to 13.8/13.9V but you can get to 100% SoC with solar at 13.6V. The solution for me is easy. I just isolate the lithium bank for the daytime if its over 90% charged. I'm sure the odd day in the sun wont damage them but not sure about every day.

Just a thought for the 'experts'. Would charging in this way help top end balance the cells? If there was a laggard cell, surely it would catch up in Peter's case? Any ideas?

33 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Peter,

All the stuff I've read says do not keep charging if up to 100%. You are obviously at 100% from the first quote. I read one study that said even just holding at 100% for 12 months gave a 10% reduction in capacity. Charging at 13.6V when full appears to damage the cathode (?) ...I think they said that was Lithium plating.

I know it will only happen for a few hours a day in your case once the solar has replaced the overnight reduction in charge. The effect of this problem will be a reduction in capacity but you are not going to notice that .....but over the years? .....and then expensive to replace.

I worried about this exact problem. Its easy to terminate charge with the alternator/battery charger/Solar at 30amps by restricting the voltage to 13.8/13.9V but you can get to 100% SoC with solar at 13.6V. The solution for me is easy. I just isolate the lithium bank for the daytime if its over 90% charged. I'm sure the odd day in the sun wont damage them but not sure about every day.

Just a thought for the 'experts'. Would charging in this way help top end balance the cells? If there was a laggard cell, surely it would catch up in Peter's case? Any ideas?

I have a fan in the toilet running and the fridge cycles in and out also the controller says zero amps going in, so I cant see as its charging at all.

However Bob I do exercise my batteries in the day with an electric kettle, dishwasher and auto washer as well. Plus in the summer when the batteries are charged all solar goes to an immersion heater, its a straight switch nothing goes to to the controllers so in affect they arent charging

Edited by peterboat