Beta JD3 calorifier confusion

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

No the hottest water from the top of the engine (or from the top connection on your stove back boiler) should go to the upper connection on the calorifier coil so that you heat the domestic water to the highest temperature, and the cooler water further down in the coil then heats the cooler domestic domestic water lower down the calorifier. If you put hot water in at the bottom of the coil it just gives up all its heat to the cold water and there is no heat left to raise the temperature of the domestic water higher up.

Sorry to argue but wrong!  If it was working on gravity alone, then you would be correct but this is pumped.

The heated water in the cylinder will stratify at the top anyway and the discharge is from the top. Once heated the water doesn't stay at the bottom!

After a lifetime as a heating engineer I  can confirm that pumped flow to lower is correct as otherwise you are trying to push the air down a pipe past water, much easier to let it rise to the top and be pushed out.

But some are done the other way and seem to work so do whatever you want.

Edited by Boater Sam

6 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Sorry to argue but wrong!  If it was working on gravity alone, then you would be correct but this is pumped.

The heated water in the cylinder will stratify at the top anyway and the discharge is from the top. Once heated the water doesn't stay at the bottom!

After a lifetime as a heating engineer I  can confirm that pumped flow to lower is correct as otherwise you are trying to push the air down a pipe past water, much easier to let it rise to the top and be pushed out.

But some are done the other way and seem to work so do whatever you want.

Maybe this comes from remembering how to correctly connect the skintank but mixing it up with the calorifier.

12 hours ago, dmr said:

I still think that with a few revs the waterpump might just make enough flow to force the water through and blast the air out, and a heating coil likely does this a lot easier than a heater matrix would.   Otherwise get the engine hot to raise the pressure and then crack open a union, whilst wearing big gloves and a raincoat ?.

...............Dave  

That is why I fitted a bleed valve at the highest point but it seems to go without using it, I did bleed it first time but never bothered since.