Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
DHutch

Open fire, smokeless zone, options?

Featured Posts

Having moved we are now in a smokeless zone and wondered if the collective had any suggestions for what we can burn that is reasonably compliant while also nice to burn. 

Previously I've enjoyed burning domestic house coal from the local merchants, easy to light, right amount of flame which is half the point, and not actually that smokey once going.

So far we have had some unbranded smokeless fuel which gave no flame at all looked naff and left a huge amount of ash, tried burning some steam coal which is certified smokeless but tends to sit there and sulk, and perhaps the smokiest slightly damp housecoal from the garage. 

Going out again to try some more tomorrow. 

Daniel

Is the mooring officially classified as residential? If not you may continue to burn ordinary house coal even if it is within a smokeless zone.

15 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Is the mooring officially classified as residential? If not you may continue to burn ordinary house coal even if it is within a smokeless zone.

I assumed it was Dan's new house.  Open fires on a boat would be a bad thing.

• Haha 1

Blaze and Brazier burn on open fires with a nice flame. Blaze from B&M £3.99p, 10kg bags  plus others. Brazier from Range, Aldi £3.99p, 10kg bags,  Wickes dearer.

10 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I assumed it was Dan's new house.  Open fires on a boat would be a bad thing.

I expect you're right, my brain doesn't work properly that late at night especially after the pub.

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

A mix of supertherm and anthracite might work on a grate 

Ok. Will look out for some supertherm at the local merchant. Slightly supprised you recommend mixing with anthracite? For a nice fire with flame, and or easier lighting,  I would have been avoiding the harder coals. 

8 hours ago, bizzard said:

Blaze and Brazier burn on open fires with a nice flame. Blaze from B&M £3.99p, 10kg bags  plus others. Brazier from Range, Aldi £3.99p, 10kg bags,  Wickes dearer.

Ok, we have all the above mentioned stores reasonable close. Are Blaze and Brazier the same product with different names, or just similar?

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I assumed it was Dan's new house.  

Yes, could have been clearer, but I am largely land based. 

The boat stove mainly burns steam coal as we have it handy, often lit using a shovel of fire from the boiler and we are mainly after the heat then something to look at, where the fire at home it's much more important it's nice to look at and easily lit. Although till the heating is improved the earth is also much appreciated!

Daniel

5 minutes ago, DHutch said:

sizes

Ok, we have all the above mentioned stores reasonable close. Are Blaze and Brazier the same product with different names, or just similar?

Yes, could have been clearer, but I am largely land based. 

The boat stove mainly burns steam coal as we have it handy, often lit using a shovel of fire from the boiler and we are mainly after the heat then something to look at, where the fire at home it's much more important it's nice to look at and easily lit. Although till the heating is improved the earth is also much appreciated!

Daniel

No, Blaze is single size ovoids and does give the best flames.  Brazier is 'mixed, two sizes of ovoids in the bags,  flames not quite as good.

6 minutes ago, bizzard said:

No, Blaze is single size ovoids and does give the best flames.  Brazier is 'mixed, two sizes of ovoids in the bags,  flames not quite as good.

Ok. Good information, flames are good, and tend to go with ease of lighting. 

Thanks

1 minute ago, DHutch said:

Ok. Good information, flames are good, and tend to go with ease of lighting. 

Thanks

That's it. Softish stuff. Also easy to revive even if there's only a bit glowing. 

I love burning peat and now that you can buy it in a compressed brick form you don't need to cut your own to get it. It smells wonderful, of course I could be biased because the smell of peat will always be home to me. I think it's safe to say it burns some where between coal and wood and if you add a stick to it you get a marvellous open fire. 

However I have no idea where it falls on the scale of smokelessness. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I love burning peat and now that you can buy it in a compressed brick form you don't need to cut your own to get it. It smells wonderful, of course I could be biased because the smell of peat will always be home to me. I think it's safe to say it burns some where between coal and wood and if you add a stick to it you get a marvellous open fire. 

However I have no idea where it falls on the scale of smokelessness. 

Really brought back memories, I could swear I could smell peat burning as I read it.  I used to live near to Holmfirth in West Yorkshire and residents were allowed to stake a claim in the peat grounds up on Saddleworth moor.  Made my own peat cutting spade and spent hours up there, stacking the turves of peat in the heather, to dry in the sun.

I've got a feeling that most smokeless fuels are only suitable for enclosed stoves, not open fires? We use Taybrite in ours, but in a stove not open fire.

We have an open fire in our lounge at home, a smokeless area. Excel burns well with some flame and minimal ash, Supatherm slower and with more ash. I’d guess that a shovelfull of real coal would catch quickly and start any smokeless fuel readily, I understand that some smoke is allowed in a smokeless area when firing up. Hope this helps.

Dave

Good information.

We have just picked up 6 bags of Blaze from B&M home and garden (the normal store didn't have coal) before calling in at Lidl who also had it 'while stocks last' we'll see how that goes. 

Expect pest is lovely, but it's uber none sustainable which doesn't sit overly well, even in the context of burning coal on an open fire. 

Daniel

10 hours ago, bizzard said:

That's odd, because Brazier as sold by Wickes definitely only has one size of ovoid, not two sized mixed.

6 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've got a feeling that most smokeless fuels are only suitable for enclosed stoves, not open fires? We use Taybrite in ours, but in a stove not open fire.

I used Taybrite in my stove, very good for staying in overnight, but now use Stoveglow, seems to burn much hotter with less ash but doesn't last as long and is a couple of quid cheaper than Taybrite.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

That's odd, because Brazier as sold by Wickes definitely only has one size of ovoid, not two sized mixed.

Brazier The one on the left is the smaller and slightly hexagonal, bigger oval on on the right. Bought at Range on Friday. I bought Brazier at Wickes last year and exactly the same.  Same differences with Multiheat.

001.JPG

10 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

I used Taybrite in my stove, very good for staying in overnight, but now use Stoveglow, seems to burn much hotter with less ash but doesn't last as long and is a couple of quid cheaper than Taybrite.

Unless it has changed back the other way again, StoveGlow ceased to be classed as smokeless several years back.

8 hours ago, bizzard said:

Brazier The one on the left is the smaller and slightly hexagonal, bigger oval on on the right. Bought at Range on Friday. I bought Brazier at Wickes last year and exactly the same.  Same differences with Multiheat.

001.JPG

I'll check the bucket more closely when we are next on the boat!