Bathroom again aghhhh

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Peter009 said:

No not at all have to go back to work tomorrow so cant concentrate on the boat unfortunately if I could I would be on here all day but unfortunately bills have to be paid but will update you next week with any progress or disasters:) that happen with moving the partition plus some pics thanks everyone have a clear view of moving forward now 

Glad I was able to give that working lark up 20 years ago, if ever you get  the chance go for it. Hence my knowledge is back with the 13 edition of the IEE regs.

28 minutes ago, Peter009 said:

No not at all have to go back to work tomorrow so cant concentrate on the boat unfortunately if I could I would be on here all day but unfortunately bills have to be paid but will update you next week with any progress or disasters:) that happen with moving the partition plus some pics thanks everyone have a clear view of moving forward now 

Apologies - I was thinking maybe some of the advice had 'irritated' you.

"See you" next week then.

On 03/01/2019 at 16:59, cuthound said:

This article covers the bathroom zones and electrical equipment IP ratings and  loactions.

https://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/issues/53/section-701-locations-containing-a-bath-or-shower/

Best not to deviate from it if you dont want to electrocute someone.

I have a washing machine and dryer in my bathroom but both are more than 0.6m away from the glass quadrant shower. Do these regs just apply to baths and showers and not sinks? There are plenty of houses with utility rooms where washing machines are located next to sinks. I'm not too sure what the difference is? Perhaps greater chance of water being splashed from a bath or shower?

Edited by blackrose

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I think there are plenty of houses with washing machines located in utility rooms with sinks that do deviate from those regs.

Hi there I am not the only one up at 4.30 in the morning then !!:)

I have this document but thanks for sending it through we are working to these regulations with the bathroom

Cheers

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

There are plenty of houses with utility rooms where washing machines are located next to sinks. I'm not too sure what the difference is? Perhaps greater chance of water being splashed from a bath or shower?

Piece I read the other day said it’s about not using switches when naked and wet.

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

I have a washing machine and dryer in my bathroom but both are more than 0.6m away from the glass quadrant shower. Do these regs just apply to baths and showers and not sinks? There are plenty of houses with utility rooms where washing machines are located next to sinks. I'm not too sure what the difference is? Perhaps greater chance of water being splashed from a bath or shower?

Yes it applies to all electrical devices in a bathroom unless they are rated at IPx7 in zone 0 or IPx4 in the rest of the bathroom. This link explains it better.

https://www.downlights.co.uk/faq-bathroom-zones.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA68bhBRCKARIsABYUGicOu8JomX-EpjHDTDfzN2sm0LD6hXZ7SOJZJno6MucNCSb9_3jDsHUaArgVEALw_wcB

The reason why you often see some electrical devices less thsn 600mm away from a bath, sunk or shower is because the IET wiring regs are not retrospective. However you are expected to bring them up to the requirements of  the latest issue when doing work on older circuits.

Also, except in Scotland, complience is not mandatory, but if you fail to follow them without good documented reason and kill someone  they will be used against you as evidence of your incompetence.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

On 03/01/2019 at 18:32, Mike Tee said:

Going back to the original question, if you are moving walls, I would suggest you build the new ones the same as every other boat I've been on - not with plasterboard of any kind, but use marine ply and seal it with PVA then tiles or preferably  with a product called 'WetWall' or similar.

Have finally been back at the boat the plasterboard that has been left in there for the bathroom is Siniat Moisture board which appears to have a high resistance to moisture in the bathroom, link below

https://www.siniat.co.uk/en/products-and-systems/products/internal-boards/gtec-moisture-board#downloads

We have confirmed the ply used is marine ply so we are intending to tile straight onto the board, spoke to the manufacturer and there is no issue with tiling straight onto the board at all, we are also getting an extractor fan fitted in the bathroom  Has anyone used this plasterboard from Saniat ?  I think it looks like a good product and does leave very smooth walls 

Sorry to be negative but basically its gypsum plaster board.

I would not use it anywhere on a boat, water or fire resistance does not make it a suitable material for an environment where there is shock loadings and vibration.

Ultimately it will return to dust retained by 2 layers of paper.

• Greenie 2

24 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Yes, but is it vibration proof when hung with heavy tiles?

Indeed. I’ve no doubt it is moisture resistant, but the chances of it surviving normal boating with vibration and the shell flexing and distorting due to thermal expansion/contraction seem to me to be very low indeed. Replacing it with bathroom grade wall board fixed to marine ply would be my advice.

Cross posted with Boater Sam with whom I entirely agree (this time ?). I’d go so far as to misquote Gibbo – using plasterboard in a marine setting is insane.

don't know why the RCD regulations have been introduced into this discussion.  The 5 year rule applies to new builds.  The OP has mentioned the 'previous owner'.  

RCD is more about documentation proving compliance with suitable standards, which I don't believe mention materials used for internal partitions, except that ANY materials or equipment used in any new boat should be CE marked and traceable.

However I am amazed that the OP appears to remain convinced that plasterboard is suitable for a boat.  

8 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

don't know why the RCD regulations have been introduced into this discussion.  The 5 year rule applies to new builds.  The OP has mentioned the 'previous owner'.  

RCD is more about documentation proving compliance with suitable standards, which I don't believe mention materials used for internal partitions, except that ANY materials or equipment used in any new boat should be CE marked and traceable.

However I am amazed that the OP appears to remain convinced that plasterboard is suitable for a boat.  

The previous owner of this boat had a boat already and the same sort of boat, he was an architect even though our plans for this boat have changed to what he had for the boat.  I am not definitely going to use the plasterboard for the bathroom I have my concerns as well so am not convinced however does someone have some evidence of this sort of plasterboard crumbling and falling apart if so grateful to hear it thanks

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

That's a consensus of 3 now. 

OK which is fine and I am not saying I do not believe what people are saying at all and if you are all right then you have saved me a lot of hassle and I appreciate that but can anyone give me some examples of where this has happened i.e the plasterboard falling apart in the bathroom

2 minutes ago, Peter009 said:

Really ! is there a rule that I am not aware of where is that stated ?  

Who said it was a Rule from anywhere?

I said MY BOATS, a personal view. Whether you use plasterboard or old egg cartons is nothing to do with BSS or anything else, and quite honestly, I could not care less what you do but you will regret using the wrong base board.

Just now, Boater Sam said:

Who said it was a Rule from anywhere?

I said MY BOATS, a personal view. Whether you use plasterboard or old egg cartons is nothing to do with BSS or anything else, and quite honestly, I could not care less what you do but you will regret using the wrong base board.

Oh OK sorry misread it, thanks for your input on not caring less on what I do with the boat NICE.... have a lovely day so I guess I wont be asking you for advice then:)  have a lovely day !!

1 minute ago, Peter009 said:

The previous owner of this boat had a boat already and the same sort of boat, he was an architect even though our plans for this boat have changed to what he had for the boat.  I am not definitely going to use the plasterboard for the bathroom I have my concerns as well so am not convinced however does someone have some evidence of this sort of plasterboard crumbling and falling apart if so grateful to hear it thanks

Sorry to be dense but what does  "The previous owner of this boat had a boat already and the same sort of boat" mean ?

Was this a new boat that he was fitting out but (for some reason) gave up on and sold it to you before it was finished and launched ?

Was it a complete & finished boat ?

3 minutes ago, Peter009 said:

OK which is fine and I am not saying I do not believe what people are saying at all and if you are all right then you have saved me a lot of hassle and I appreciate that but can anyone give me some examples of where this has happened i.e the plasterboard falling apart in the bathroom

Plaster board is for dry lining in houses, end of.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sorry to be dense but what does  "The previous owner of this boat had a boat already and the same sort of boat" mean ?

Was this a new boat that he was fitting out but (for some reason) gave up on and sold it to you before it was finished and launched ?

Was it a complete & finished boat ?

Yes it was a boat that he had started, he used to live in another boat exactly the same in London and I think his intention was to fit it out and rent it out in London, however it looks like he ran out of money so we was looking at the time and heard about it as it was word of mouth.  He had partly done the boat, floorboats, partition walls etc but we have taken over the rest of it from then.  The only plasterboard that was brought for the boat was in the bathroom and is the moisture repellant type.  I seriously dont think it is such a huge issue as everyone is making out looking at this link below others use it without an issue although not the norm.  I will make my decision some time soon but I only wanted a view on it at the end of the day I will make my own decision regardless the link below is interesting using plasterboard.

https://passivehouseplus.ie/blogs/the-bauhaus-barge-an-energy-efficient-canal-boat

1 minute ago, Peter009 said:

Yes it was a boat that he had started, he used to live in another boat exactly the same in London and I think his intention was to fit it out and rent it out in London, however it looks like he ran out of money so we was looking at the time and heard about it as it was word of mouth.  He had partly done the boat, floorboats, partition walls etc but we have taken over the rest of it from then.  The only plasterboard that was brought for the boat was in the bathroom and is the moisture repellant type.  I seriously dont think it is such a huge issue as everyone is making out looking at this link below others use it without an issue although not the norm.  I will make my decision some time soon but I only wanted a view on it at the end of the day I will make my own decision regardless the link below is interesting using plasterboard.

https://passivehouseplus.ie/blogs/the-bauhaus-barge-an-energy-efficient-canal-boat

Thankyou - so the boat should have been transferred to you with RCD documentation to the stage it was sold, (part build) otherwise it was sold illegally - you now become the 'builder' and are subject to build in compliance with the RCD.

(To answer Murflynns question about the RCD)

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 07:03, BruceinSanity said:

Piece I read the other day said it’s about not using switches when naked and wet.

Wet hands are wet hands aren't they? I'm not sure what difference having clothes over the rest of one's body would make but I may be missing something. Perhaps it's something to do with increased wet surface area? I have a washing machine and dryer in my bathroom but the mains switches for both are in other rooms on the other sides of bulkheads. The switches on the appliances are still inside the bathroom of course but I tend not to operate them when I've just jumped out of the shower or with wet hands. 

13 minutes ago, Peter009 said:

No sorry not end of, where is it stated that plasterboard cannot be used on boats or is this just peoples opinions 

You may find this old thread interesting :

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've just jumped out of the shower or with wet hands. 

Apparently Army officers are taught at Aldershot to wash their hands after peeing - When I did my officer training at Cranwell we were taught not to pee on our fingers.