Bathroom again aghhhh

Featured Posts

Have had to go back on the plans for a small bath in the bathroom, our bathroom is just too small.  I measured it up again yesterday and from the wall to the window I only have 600 mm to work with for a shower before going over the window also the height max is 2000 mm so am looking for a reduced height shower enclosure wondering if anyone has one of these and where did they get it from I have seen some on ebay but the prices are ridiculous.

Also the walls are sheetrock, (previous owner) am I correct that I should line the walls with PVA prior to tiling to create a barrier or can anyone recommend another product that works well to prevent mositure build up.

For some reason I am finding the bathroom the hardest room to deal with the size is small even though it is a widebeam the way it was partitioned before we brought it was this way and I have thought about moving the partition back but all the electrics, plumbing etc is already there so that will have to move as well which could be a nightmare so am going to make the most of the space we have got but finding the right enclosure for the area is proving difficult.

Sometimes I really do feel like giving up with this boat it can be very hard at times getting this right is not easy as I am sure some of you will understand, there is always a problem nothing is straightforward !

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’d be getting rid of the plasterboard! It’s not a house....it will just fall apart with the movement & damp. Replace with decent ply...might cost a bit now but not as much if you leave it till everything is finished. 

The previous owner brought moisture resistant 12 mm sheetrock so I think it is the right material to use as I checked with him and he confirmed that is why he brought it as it is a mositure resistant range

1 minute ago, Peter009 said:

The previous owner brought moisture resistant 12 mm sheetrock so I think it is the right material to use as I checked with him and he confirmed that is why he brought it as it is a mositure resistant range

It is green board drywall the moisture resistant and mould resistant type more expensive than standard plaster so happy to use that however want to put a lining on it before tiling so was going to use a PVA wash on top of the green board sheetrock prior to tiling 

12 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Google ‘hardiebacker’ - i’ve never used this on a boat but it may help out. I did use it when building a small shower room at home and it seems to be working fine after 6+ years.

Have done thanks for that I got it wrong the sheetrock is not green it is orange but I have no idea what type it is does anyone know by looking at the picture, the previous owner is no longer contactable all I know is she brought this board specifically for the bathroom and that it was moisture and mould resistant 146882259_thumbnaikkl(34).jpg.289da8431f83213b495699bf31a249e8.jpg

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Plasterboard types :

Accoustic = Blue

FireBoard = 'muted pink'

Water Resistant = Green

Improved water resistant = Purple

Impact resistant = Yellow

General Purpose = White

Non of which I would suggest are suitable for use in  steel boats which will be subject to differential expansion and 'warping/twisting' in Summer and being subject to shock WHEN hitting locks, other boats etc (or being hit by other boats)

Take it out and replace with proven material (wood) as it is easier to do it before fit out that afterwards when the bathroom is fully fitted and the tiles start to fall off & the walls start to crumble.

"Do it right and do it once"

Yes I agree am quite concerned as the other side of that wall in the bathroom also has boards that are 12mm a completely different type of board than the bathroom boards for the wall the problem I have is there is nothing written on the boards to say what type they are.  So you think I should rip out the plasterboard and just put ply there no plasterboard at all ?  here is a pic of the other side of the bathroom wall as you can see all the plumbing is there as well as electrics so am a bit concerned about how big a job this will be as there are electrics to the top of that wall as well.  It would be a lot easier if I could coat the plaster in some sort of anti moisture/mould seal to ensure that it is covered but if you are saying this wont work long term then it looks like I will have to seriously consider changing the setup 

thumbnail (23).jpg

9 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

I'm just doing my shower and have used this

https://www.toolstation.com/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/p71005

I can't say how good it is, as I've not tested it, but the feedback is good. Plenty of video's on youtube.

Just looked at that and the reviews are very good for it plus it can be used on plasterboard, can I ask what wall material you have is it ply ?  thanks

11 minutes ago, Peter009 said:

Yes I agree am quite concerned

I am no plasterboard expert but my concern is not the 'waterproofness' of the plaster board but the expansion / contraction / shock loading capabilities.

It is surprising how much a steel boat twists, warps and 'grows' with one side in the Sun and the other in the shade - it may only be mm's but you can find (for example) T&G boarding used on the inside of the roof twisting and opening gaps between the planks.

Showing how the cables & pipes are installed I would suggest that it is no big issue to remove the plasterboard and replace with marine ply.

Suggest also that you leave an access hatch running (say 18" high) for the length of the wall so you can access for repairs when they freeze up, or you need to add extra cables.

On a NB cables and pipes generally run either along the 'skirting board' or under the gunwhale and are accessible.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Difficult to see what that board is, it does it have a name or spec printed on it, what is it?

If it is gypsum plaster board it could be soundproofing or fireproofing board, neither of which I would tile onto in a boat.

The real stuff is sold in smaller sheets and is made for wetrooms, floors and walls, is a nasty grey colour, cement asbestos substitute, known as tile backer board.

Lots of makes, Hardiebacker, Prowarm backer. Most is totally waterproof but check. All the tile people and DIY outlet shed sell it.

We used to give it one coat of diluted PVA, let it dry then coat it with neat immediately prior to tiling so it was still a bit tacky. Never had a tile fall off.

Don't grout the internal corners, caulk with mold resistant acrylic cartridge then you won't get cracks.

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Difficult to see what that board is, it does it have a name or spec printed on it, what is it?

If it is gypsum plaster board it could be soundproofing or fireproofing board, neither of which I would tile onto in a boat.

The real stuff is sold in smaller sheets and is made for wetrooms, floors and walls, is a nasty grey colour, cement asbestos substitute, known as tile backer board.

Lots of makes, Hardiebacker, Prowarm backer. Most is totally waterproof but check. All the tile people and DIY outlet shed sell it.

We used to give it one coat of diluted PVA, let it dry then coat it with neat immediately prior to tiling so it was still a bit tacky. Never had a tile fall off.

Don't grout the internal corners, caulk with mold resistant acrylic cartridge then you won't get cracks.

Hi no name or spec printed on any board at all which is the problem I just dont know what it is.  My thoughts were to coat with PVA twice prior to tiling but am concerned as to whether the tiles will stay in place or what problems I may have, it has been recommended to use wood instead by Alan.  Do you tile onto wood also or use plaster board thanks

5 minutes ago, Peter009 said:

Hi no name or spec printed on any board at all which is the problem I just dont know what it is.  My thoughts were to coat with PVA twice prior to tiling but am concerned as to whether the tiles will stay in place or what problems I may have, it has been recommended to use wood instead by Alan.  Do you tile onto wood also or use plaster board thanks

Neither! Use the proper tilebacker board.

I have tiled onto OSB with no problems, tiling onto ply depends on the quality of the ply, most new board is poor compared to the old stuff.

7 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Neither! Use the proper tilebacker board.

I have tiled onto OSB with no problems, tiling onto ply depends on the quality of the ply, most new board is poor compared to the old stuff.

Even the Lloyds registered marine plywood requires serious treatment to last outside. 

I'm surprised that more people don't use modern composite boards for fitting out, technology seems slow to be adopted by many on inland waterways. 

Plastic interlocking sheet as sold for showers would be my choice, I would not worry too much about what lies beneath it, battens would be ok and fix with 'no more nails' or something. Decent ventilation is important and/or just open a window when you leave the shower. Reduced height shower? Maybe try for a second hand enclosure, take it apart and chuck the glass away then cut the aluminium bits to length and replace with Perspex or something, I've just redone our shower at home and remade the door. There's not much too them.

1 hour ago, Peter009 said:

Hi no name or spec printed on any board at all which is the problem I just dont know what it is.  

There's plenty of writing on the boards, but I can't read it on my phone. That will indicate the  manufacturer and specification. Can you tell us what it says?

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There's plenty of writing on the boards, but I can't read it on my phone. That will indicate the  manufacturer and specification. Can you tell us what it says?

Will be going to the boat later on today and will take another look perhaps I have missed it will advise when I get back what it says thanks

7 hours ago, Peter009 said:

the height max is 2000 mm 

Is that onto the floor, or are you cutting the floor away to get the shower tray down onto the members? You’ll gain maybe 50mm that way. 

Ours is a low profile shower tray with the shortest available available standard enclosure. 1800 mm high if memory serves. The only issue is that there's not much capacity in the tray for when somebody forgets to turn on the pump before getting in. Our shower wall is panelled with this product (no issues after ten years): https://www.mermaidpanels.com/laminate-shower-panels/natural-shower-panels/

8 hours ago, Peter009 said:

Have had to go back on the plans for a small bath in the bathroom, our bathroom is just too small.  I measured it up again yesterday and from the wall to the window I only have 600 mm to work with for a shower before going over the window also the height max is 2000 mm so am looking for a reduced height shower enclosure wondering if anyone has one of these and where did they get it from I have seen some on ebay but the prices are ridiculous.

I did indeed pay a good deal of money for my shower doors but that was because I wanted two pairs of bi-fold doors in glass not "plastic" to create space when the shower (in my case wetroom) was not in use. To me they are great and cover the porthole window when the shower is in use. I understand your dilemma but if you settle for second best you will forever regret it in my opinion.

• Happy 1

5 hours ago, BWM said:

I'm surprised that more people don't use modern composite boards for fitting out, technology seems slow to be adopted by many on inland waterways. 

I`ve used thin flexible planked flooring  from B&Q (1350mm x 150mm) glued to quality marine ply from http://www.timbmet.com/uk/products/range/marine-plywood/ Because of size of initial order delivered direct to Cornwall. Topped up from their local agents. Waterproof and as stated flexible plus easy to work with. Used Thixotropic 613 as the adhesive..