Stove chimney hole filling

jocave

Featured Posts

Our Eberspacher is now fitted and I have removed the Stove, we are having some various welding jobs done in the spring and one of those jobs is to have the hole welded up but I was just wondering the best method to seal the hole up temporarily?? It just needs to be watertight for a few months..

Make it temporary cover, so that when the ebersplutter chokes itself and stops you can reinstate a more reliable stove either multifuel or diesel bubble/drip feed.  The ebersplutter/webasto heaters are not noted for 24/7 reliability great for a couple hours a day but not continuous, it is always better to have 2 ways of heating.  

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Just sikaflex a bit of steel plate, or plastic fascia offcut or the like over it. 

Daniel

When my collar was off for a few days, we cut the bottom out of a plastic catering bucket and used sealant to stick it over the hole. Worked a treat, and no reason to think it wouldn’t have lasted a few months.

Having said that.... I like having a Boatman stove in addition to a warm air heater.

53 minutes ago, Detling said:

Make it temporary cover, so that when the ebersplutter chokes itself and stops you can reinstate a more reliable stove either multifuel or diesel bubble/drip feed.  The ebersplutter/webasto heaters are not noted for 24/7 reliability great for a couple hours a day but not continuous, it is always better to have 2 ways of heating.  

It won't be used for 24/7 so it's perfect for what we need, the one on our last boat worked perfectly for the two years we had it..

49 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Just sikaflex a bit of steel plate, or plastic fascia offcut or the like over it. 

Daniel

Thanks that's what I thought , sikaflex something as a temporary fix ..

11 hours ago, Detling said:

Very , very wise words.

You could leave the hole and turn it in to another high level air vent, if you like. The hole size may suit a mushroom, or flying saucer style vent.

I did something similar on my boat when I removed a composting toilet (big mistake!). In this case, I kept the collar and added a dome from a mushroom vent. The bathroom is now very well ventilated and is great for drying laundry.

Jen

IMG_20190103_103416.jpg

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You could leave the hole and turn it in to another high level air vent, if you like. The hole size may suit a mushroom, or flying saucer style vent.

I did something similar on my boat when I removed a composting toilet (big mistake!). In this case, I kept the collar and added a dome from a mushroom vent. The bathroom is now very well ventilated and is great for drying laundry.

Jen

IMG_20190103_103416.jpg

Jen, what was the big mistake in your opinion, fitting or removing the composting bog?

I fitted a plastic pudding basin to the roof of our mainland boat share with silicone sealant in 2014 as a temporary fix for a broken ventilator. It's still going strong. (The condensation in the photo isn't really a problem, it was about 0 C outside at the time and the heating had just gone on).

IMG_20180325_130035144.jpg