Where do I find boaters who want end of garden moorings?

john cowie

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, frangar said:

Don’t be daft!! House for ageing parent & all her stuff....and the boat at the bottom of the garden for us! (If I could find one with a 1000 sq ft unit as well that would be ideal!!?)

I did wonder!

We've been looking for workshops with house and garden attached. Found some crackers.......however no navigable river or canal nearby :(

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

On the T&M near Anderton Lift , not sure about the mooring bit as its towpath but they are all long term moorings there so I guess that is what is available  https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/49441826?search_identifier=673ddf6f18ee7efaa2da6928db5cfbd7

From memory the towpath along there was covered in dog mess as it’s a busy dog walking stretch. There was also a lot of Japenese Knotweed on the opposite bank up to the corner near the tunnel. 

23 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

If so, "48ft permanent brick and concrete end-of-garden mooring" is the problem - you can only get a little boat on there, so it's no use to anyone with a bigger boat.

Hey !!

My boat is 42 foot   !

Snobs....      ?

7 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Do They? Why?

It's a private joke, Richard. Mrsmelly knows that I have a 45 foot boat and that it has a cross-bed.

As for "Why?", it does save a couple of feet of the boat's length which means that the saloon can be longer than it otherwise would be. Cross-beds would not be suitable for very tall people, but for me (5'10") and Mrs. Athy (5'5") it's ideal.

Edited by Athy

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's a private joke, Richard. Mrsmelly knows that I have a 45 foot boat and that it has a cross-bed.

As for "Why?", it does save a couple of feet of the boat's length which means that the saloon can be longer than it otherwise would be. Cross-beds would not be suitable for very tall people, but for me (5'10") and Mrs. Athy (5'5") it's ideal.

Don't believe it, Athy was 6'6" before he bought Trojan.

Or did you mean why "spawn of the Devil"? Its the banging of head under one gunwale and the cramping of feet under the other. And if the mattress is of a decent thickness you have to be 5' nothing to fit at all.

8 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Don't believe it, Athy was 6'6" before he bought Trojan.

Or did you mean why "spawn of the Devil"? Its the banging of head under one gunwale and the cramping of feet under the other. And if the mattress is of a decent thickness you have to be 5' nothing to fit at all.

I wish! Or perhaps, on reflection, I don't. I would have had too many bumps on my head from door lintels!

We had Trojan built and collaborated with the builder, Mel Davis, in the various details (I can still remember Mrs. Athy standing on the stern in the workshop holding a broom handle while Mel measured its height above deck to make sure that the tiller would be at a comfortable height for her, for example). Yes, mattress is 8" thick but I can just fit in neatly between the gunwales.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Aha! I only ask because I have a 45ft cruiser stern with a lengthways bed and a 10ft lounge. I suppose a cross bed would have given me a 12ft lounge, but I don’t think the inconvenience would be worth it :)

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

Aha! I only ask because I have a 45ft cruiser stern with a lengthways bed and a 10ft lounge. I suppose a cross bed would have given me a 12ft lounge, but I don’t think the inconvenience would be worth it :)

If you are happy with what you've got, that's fine - each of us has varying tastes in boats and their configurations..

We find the cross-bed no inconvenience at all. Others (especially if they're tall) might do.

55 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Just noticed its sold :(

https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/47357734

Apart from having a moderator as a near neighbour ;)

I don't think that's it since the OP's opening line read "Hi - when we put our house with end of garden mooring in Worcester up for sale ". 

The earlier Zoopla link to a property in Northwich was likely to be a wrong assumption for a similar reason.  

I did ask earlier if it was a property I've seen up for sale on the canal in Worcester, but that went unanswered, as I think did all our responses.  Its probably worth giving up on this thread unless the OP actually comes back - perhaps someone with a cross bed might be moved to start an alternative? :D

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Well, three or four miles away - that one is at the end of the next village, I do recognise it.

But the property under discussion is not that one; it's the one which you highlighted in your post No. 6. At least, I think so.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Well, three or four miles away - that one is at the end of the next village, I do recognise it.

But the property under discussion is not that one; it's the one which you highlighted in your post No. 6. At least, I think so.

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

That one looks a great house again but no mention I could see of length of mooring. 

And not sure anyone who wants to boat would want an acre of land-i prefer the countryside I don't have to garden. 

I know the second link I posted isn't the house mentioned in the OP, it's just an example of a waterside property.

I did posted the first link to the only canalside house with a mooring in Worcester.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

I know the second link I posted isn't the house mentioned in the OP, it's just an example of a waterside property.

I did posted the first link to the only canalside house with a mooring in Worcester.

I found the same link. That agent is Doorsteps, who charge only £95 + VAT for marketing a property. I don't know how they make any money, other than very high volume and very low costs. For £95 you have to wonder how much they are able to care about whether they get the asking price right, whether they are able give good advice, and whether they are able to provide an ongoing service if a property doesnt sell.

The OP is conspicuous by his absence... but may just be busy.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

You raise a very interesting point - can someone elucidate?

Yes that’s correct.

you have to prove you own the property or have their permission and apply each year.

there is £95 fee which I think you only have to pay if it’s a new EOG mooring your applying for. 

Also technically eog moorings can only be associated with residential property