Amazed (and not in a good way) by Great Haywood Boat Sales

geehils

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I believe buskers in London are now carrying cardreaders, as are Big Issue sellers in various towns.  Either the world is insane or I am.

PS wibble...

Several Big Issue sellers in Bristol now use card readers.

14 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

Now you mention it, our local branch of Crédit Agricole has no till either, so probably only has cash in the cash machines. It might explain why the local boulangerie is so happy to get small change, to avoid having to order it from the bank, and no doubt pay for the privilege. I’m in Limoges next week and will wander into a bigger branch and see what there is there.

I will try not to bang my head :)

If you want croissants& coffee you'll be OK, money or any thing in that line not sure ,the branch mentioned in my post has since closed so the nearest building containing staff is the in  next village 3day staffed rest automatic transactions , a further 8km's further away but the local small Intermarche has installed a fruit machine but only accessible during opening hours

7 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

So people actually present their cards to a machine held by a stranger in the street?

I'm amazed and appalled. 

Those same people are the ones that moan like hell and go on tv programmes slanging the banks off when they lose money from their accounts by scammers!! You simply couldnt make it up. Perhaps someone should invent a form of payment easily carried in small quantities for such transactions? I think a great name for it could be " Money " it has a nice ring to it.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Those same people are the ones that moan like hell and go on tv programmes slanging the banks off when they lose money from their accounts by scammers!! You simply couldnt make it up. Perhaps someone should invent a form of payment easily carried in small quantities for such transactions? I think a great name for it could be " Money " it has a nice ring to it.

I think you've coined it.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Maybe the card machines are those 'contactless payment' thingies. Don't think they hold any info do they? Though I heard £Billions have been stolen through them.

Had quite a fright when I first used mine in a butchers, I was waving my card about telling the cashier I'd never used this type of payment before when the machine went blip! That was the payment going through. Scary stuff!

15 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

There was an article in The Times last week to the effect that beggars in Sweden are now carrying card readers because Sweden has become a cashless society.

It is happening here as well. However, those I know about are buskers - depends on your point of view whether you think there is a difference (legally I believe that there is a big one). In fact, contactless readers are now very inexpensive and, I understand, quite easy to set up, unlike the days of merchant accounts and endless form filling etc.

7 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

It is happening here as well. However, those I know about are buskers - depends on your point of view whether you think there is a difference (legally I believe that there is a big one). In fact, contactless readers are now very inexpensive and, I understand, quite easy to set up, unlike the days of merchant accounts and endless form filling etc.

My feeling is that the easier the system is to set up, the easier it is to 'adjust' for dishonest purposes.   Government and banks don't like cash, as they have no control over it.  Mind you, the Indian Government caused chaos a couple of years ago when they cancelled the two highest denomination banknotes - 'high denomination'  being about equivalent to £5.

9 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

500 euro note will not be printed any more soon, April 2019 is the end.

Though I am a frequent traveller to mainland Europe, I've never seen one. They can't be very common, so they probably won't be missed. I may occasionally have had a 100 euro note, but usually the ighest denomination I've had has been 50 euros.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Though I am a frequent traveller to mainland Europe, I've never seen one. They can't be very common, so they probably won't be missed. I may occasionally have had a 100 euro note, but usually the ighest denomination I've had has been 50 euros.

I have never seen a €500 or €200 note, and can’t remember when I last had a €100 note. The €500 note has long been the preferred note of money launderers and criminals, and should have been discontinued long ago.

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Whats a " Euro "? is it sort of like " Bitcoin " a non currency?

Looks that way, at least according to Bulgaria, Croatia, The Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Sweden, and the UK...

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Athy said:

€500 notes used to be known as 'Bin Ladens'  (as in Osama, not an overfull waste receptacle) because everyone knew they existed, but no-one had seen one.  And now they are being killed too.

• Greenie 1

On 03/01/2019 at 18:03, Phil Ambrose said:

Plus it is a nightmare when someone comes in with a couple of carrier bags full of cash (And they do) You have to sit and count out several thousands of pounds often tatty and curled up, not a quick  job  and then you have to get someone else to count it , at least they did at my dealership 

Problem is people are fixed on the false idea that they get a better deal for cash not realising "cash" doesn't mean the folding stuff,  a debit or credit card is still a cash sale and much more preferred than a scabby  old notes 

Phil

If you have problems with having carrier bags of cash., please post them to me at........

:)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

It is also, I believe, difficult to pay in large quantities of cash at the bank, without answering lots of questions.

I found that. I also found it difficult to withdraw a large amount in cash a few years back even after giving them notice. I was ushered into the manager’s office and given coffee then asked why I wanted it, where it was going, and why. 

29 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

It is also, I believe, difficult to pay in large quantities of cash at the bank, without answering lots of questions.

Ridiculous but true. I went into a building society in Gloucester in october 94 yes quite a while ago. I went to the counter to open a savings account and handed over 8k in cash and the girl refused giving me all sorts of ridiculous prepared waffle as to why a building society couldnt accept my money. There were other people in the queue who saw this. I left and went to the nearest next place a cheltenham and gloucester building society and this time stated straight away I had cash and was sensibly told it wasnt realy liked but yes of course we will accept the money. Bloody ridiculous 8k even back then was only a small car money not a friggin drug dealers mansion. Seven years ago when my old Dad died we found nearly thirty grand under his mattress and it was only because we told them he had died etc that we didnt get the third degree. Absolutely crazy.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I found that. I also found it difficult to withdraw a large amount in cash a few years back even after giving them notice. I was ushered into the manager’s office and given coffee then asked why I wanted it, where it was going, and why. 

I think it may depend on what type of bank account you have.

When I bought the 'Cat' from Croatia I needed to pay in Euros.

Phone call to the bank and asked them to transfer the amount (six-figures) to my FX Broker.*

Broker received it and 'sent' Euros to the sellers bank account.

All done in a matter of hours.

Using my Broker rather than the bank saved over £6000 in fees / commission.

* If anyone is transferring money, or, buying or selling anything in any 'foreign currency' (even just £2000) try using Halo Financial, they save a fortune when compared to using your bank.

https://www.halofinancial.com/get-the-best-exchange-rates?&gclid=Cj0KCQiA68bhBRCKARIsABYUGifp2Pc3j_qMQIFzGmaBXz6r5Ju6Jtca47Qq-9KwXbf7dKtEm-l7d6AaAmQuEALw_wcB

Exchange rates 4% better than the banks offer, no commission, transfer charges significantly lower.

They will send your money anywhere in the world for £15 (£5 for regular transactions) - Banks typical charge is £40

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Ridiculous but true. I went into a building society in Gloucester in october 94 yes quite a while ago. I went to the counter to open a savings account and handed over 8k in cash and the girl refused giving me all sorts of ridiculous prepared waffle as to why a building society couldnt accept my money. There were other people in the queue who saw this. I left and went to the nearest next place a cheltenham and gloucester building society and this time stated straight away I had cash and was sensibly told it wasnt realy liked but yes of course we will accept the money. Bloody ridiculous 8k even back then was only a small car money not a friggin drug dealers mansion. Seven years ago when my old Dad died we found nearly thirty grand under his mattress and it was only because we told them he had died etc that we didnt get the third degree. Absolutely crazy.

Reminds me of a work colleague around the same time who  went to his building society for cash to pay his builder. Being a Mancunian when they started asking he simply stated in broad Mancunian it was to fund a drugs deal and none of their effing business...  much shuffling and confusion by the staff and his bag of cash was duly delivered without further comment....

and he he paid his builder if course ?

Edited by jonathanA
  • Greenie 2