Amazed (and not in a good way) by Great Haywood Boat Sales

geehils

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Although many a self employed plumber (or other trade) won't take cash any further than the back pocket. Of course, that wouldn't be said on a public forum, one of you may be a revenue man. 

It's perfectly legit for such a person not to bank the cash as long as he writes it down and declares it for tax purposes. I often do exactly that when I've had a stall at a record fair. It simply means that I don't need to go to the cashpoint for a few weeks.

Edited by Athy

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's perfectly legit for such a person not to bank the cash as long as he writes it down and declares it for tax purposes. I often do exactly that when I've had a stall at a record fair. It simply means that I don't need to go to the cashpoint for a few weeks.

Precisely. My last business was cash only and all legit, the couple running it now are still cash only. We use an Indian restaurant, we are going on tuesday nite they only accept cash but will accept cheque if you have no cash. Its not so unusual. Money has been around a while longer than plastic and it works without need for gadgets.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Most self employed people understand that, but how many, on occasion, don't abide by it?

42 minutes ago, matty40s said:

as MikeTheBoilerman(remember him) used to say - it costs far more for a business to process cash received into a bank than it does to accept card payments - especially debit cards.

Plus it is a nightmare when someone comes in with a couple of carrier bags full of cash (And they do) You have to sit and count out several thousands of pounds often tatty and curled up, not a quick  job  and then you have to get someone else to count it , at least they did at my dealership 

Problem is people are fixed on the false idea that they get a better deal for cash not realising "cash" doesn't mean the folding stuff,  a debit or credit card is still a cash sale and much more preferred than a scabby  old notes 

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

24 minutes ago, Athy said:

And I do the same on my brocante stall.

I bought and sold my last boat through New and Used boat company, the service at the time was a bit naf,f but when my other half of the time made a ridicules offer on my current boat, they eventually passed it on to the finance company that owned it! they of course refused it but lets say I paid 28k less than the asking price with hard negotiating on her part! I got what I wanted for mine and myself and the new manager parted on good terms. The moral of the story is take a lady with a good figure, nice smile  and let her do the work!! ?

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, bmp said:

Not sure it is appropriate of me to add this or not for a bit of balance ....

I have only bought one boat so can not profess to be an expert but I bought my boat from Great Haywood in August and I couldn’t fault them. 

The marina staff were also very helpful too. 

BMP

My experience to.

I suspect that with any broker it depends on who you are dealing with and whether or not they are having a bad day.

9 hours ago, bmp said:

Not sure it is appropriate of me to add this or not for a bit of balance ....

I have only bought one boat so can not profess to be an expert but I bought my boat from Great Haywood in August and I couldn’t fault them. 

The marina staff were also very helpful too. 

BMP

Pleased to hear that, we bought our boat from them 3 years ago and found them very good.

We had been looking for months for our boat, and we'd been to about a doz brokers. Some were good, and some weren't so good. With us, Gt Haywood just clicked. Funny coincidence, we picked our boat up from Longport where it had been blacked before an out of water survey, and as complete newbies we were travelling on the T&M to get onto the Ashby where we'd organised a mooring. Just as we were passing GH, Leeza from the office phoned us, she was wondering how we were doing and if we had any problems. A few months later we called into GH and Leeza visited our boat, still asking if everything was OK. You have to speak as you find.

BTW, and sorry it's off topic - Leeza works for a Staffordshire Terrier rescue place - if anyone's looking to rescue a Staffie, she's your contact.

Regarding handing over the money, we transferred the cash through the internet, into GH's customer holding account. It was pretty painless.

10 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

That sounds very odd to me, Paul is very proffessional and will not usually allow anyone to look at boats without accompanying them,  I can only assume that he was not available on that day and the person in the office was trying to be helpful. Your experience was more than five years ago so maybe things were different then. I could name another broker often recommended on the forum who we used less than three years ago who was absolutely dreadful, but ownership has changed since then so is irrelevant.  After more than six months of inactivity, we took our boat away and placed it with Braunston Marina, who found a buyer within a few weeks.

Five years back...Paul  did the same with us. We took several lots of keys..and just wandered...

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Precisely. My last business was cash only and all legit, the couple running it now are still cash only. We use an Indian restaurant, we are going on tuesday nite they only accept cash but will accept cheque if you have no cash. Its not so unusual. Money has been around a while longer than plastic and it works without need for gadgets.

However, as I'm sure you know, it's also much the preferred medium for criminal activity.  In the USA there's long been calls to remove the higher denomination notes for just this reason.

Just now, Sea Dog said:

However, as I'm sure you know, it's also much the preferred medium for criminal activity.  In the USA there's long been calls to remove the higher denomination notes for just this reason.

The reason the " establishment " the banks etc etc want rid of cash is very simply because when we have lost cash through following all this pushing us to leave cash behind they will then have us by the short and curlies and what do you think will happen to free banking?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The reason the " establishment " the banks etc etc want rid of cash is very simply because when we have lost cash through following all this pushing us to leave cash behind they will then have us by the short and curlies and what do you think will happen to free banking?

The proposal I refer to is only the bigger notes that most of us rarely see but allow huge sums to fit nicely into a briefcase. 

The bigger threat to free banking is legislation to stop them charging folk who don't manage their account properly.  Be it Rail Fares, Energy supplies, Insurance premiums, or whatever, the drive to disallow higher charges for those who don't do research, shop around, change suppliers and buy wisely (colloquially known as "idiot tax") means those who are more prudent get to pay equal shares to cover this loss of revenue rather than continue to reap the benefits from managing their money wisely.

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

The proposal I refer to is only the bigger notes that most of us rarely see but allow huge sums to fit nicely into a briefcase. 

The bigger threat to free banking is legislation to stop them charging folk who don't manage their account properly.  Be it Rail Fares, Energy supplies, Insurance premiums, or whatever, the drive to disallow higher charges for those who don't do research, shop around, change suppliers and buy wisely (colloquially known as "idiot tax") means those who are more prudent get to pay equal shares to cover this loss of revenue rather than continue to reap the benefits from managing their money wisely.

So in a couple of years when drool swamps your keyboard you won't mind paying this tax? 

15 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

:offtopic:

One problem (of many) with US dollars, for the US at least, is a large number of them are in circulation outside the states - I've travelled to several countries where the US dollar is the de-facto local currency. These notes represent an interest free loan to the US treasury, and they are loathe to do anything that might result in that loan being called in...

US notes are all the same size as well, unusual if not unique, and this isn't going to alter for the same reason - US dollars that are no long "good" represent a significant problem.

4 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

So in a couple of years when drool swamps your keyboard you won't mind paying this tax? 

Related, but separate,  methinks. There's a world of difference in letting those who can't be bothered to shop around choose the convenience of simply paying premium prices versus taking advantage of those unable to do so.  There are far better ways to help this than imposing a false flat rate for everyone.

Incidentally, what's all this about a couple of years?  Why do you suppose I choose to access the Web using a waterproof Sony tablet?  ;) :D

Had a bit of a surprise a couple of month 's back ,Tuesday local village open street market day fairy early around 8.45am wanted to by an item IIRC in the region of €5 only had a €50 note stall holder hadn't enough change,at that time ,right behind his stall the bank local branch where I have my €100's deposited enter & ask for 5x€10 notes in exchange for my €50,  certainly when would you like to collect , "NOW" not possible the soonest would be 10 days as we have to get it from head office . Gobsmacked is an understatement .

9 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

There was an article in The Times last week to the effect that beggars in Sweden are now carrying card readers because Sweden has become a cashless society.

Beggars in China display a QR code to scan with your phone to donate – the Chinese have skipped the credit card stage and gone straight to their equivalent of Apple Pay.

15 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Beggars in China display a QR code to scan with your phone to donate – the Chinese have skipped the credit card stage and gone straight to their equivalent of Apple Pay.

I believe buskers in London are now carrying cardreaders, as are Big Issue sellers in various towns.  Either the world is insane or I am.

PS wibble...

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

Had a bit of a surprise a couple of month 's back ,Tuesday local village open street market day fairy early around 8.45am wanted to by an item IIRC in the region of €5 only had a €50 note stall holder hadn't enough change,at that time ,right behind his stall the bank local branch where I have my €100's deposited enter & ask for 5x€10 notes in exchange for my €50,  certainly when would you like to collect , "NOW" not possible the soonest would be 10 days as we have to get it from head office . Gobsmacked is an understatement .

Now you mention it, our local branch of Crédit Agricole has no till either, so probably only has cash in the cash machines. It might explain why the local boulangerie is so happy to get small change, to avoid having to order it from the bank, and no doubt pay for the privilege. I’m in Limoges next week and will wander into a bigger branch and see what there is there.

I will try not to bang my head :)