Amazed (and not in a good way) by Great Haywood Boat Sales

geehils

Featured Posts

Having owned two previous boats, I'm now in the market to buy a third.

I've identified three boats on GHBS's books that I would like to see; they are all within 20 miles of each other, but also nearly 120 miles from where I live.

Despite highlighting this with the agent I spoke to, they refused point blank to arrange for three viewings on the same day - I had to choose my favourite boat and then if that didn't suit, come back on a different day to see the second and then a further different day to see the third. Apparently this is company policy.

The sales particulars are very average too, with no layouts or much detail in the description, but on the basis of this I was happy to accept the time and fuel to view three boats on one day, but not one. So, the outcome was my declining to see any of them (which is a shame as they all looked lovely boats).

I wonder if the owners of boats on brokerage with GHBS are aware of this policy?

• Greenie 1

Stupid! I'd want the same, whichever marina I was going to view at.

Perhaps lots of boaters should ask to see a few boats on the same day, then pull out when they say no. 

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, geehils said:

Having owned two previous boats, I'm now in the market to buy a third.

I've identified three boats on GHBS's books that I would like to see; they are all within 20 miles of each other, but also nearly 120 miles from where I live.

Despite highlighting this with the agent I spoke to, they refused point blank to arrange for three viewings on the same day - I had to choose my favourite boat and then if that didn't suit, come back on a different day to see the second and then a further different day to see the third. Apparently this is company policy.

The sales particulars are very average too, with no layouts or much detail in the description, but on the basis of this I was happy to accept the time and fuel to view three boats on one day, but not one. So, the outcome was my declining to see any of them (which is a shame as they all looked lovely boats).

I wonder if the owners of boats on brokerage with GHBS are aware of this policy?

You dont suprise me. The problem is that despite some crap brokers out there many boat owners are not in the know as to who is/is not a poorly run outfit. My present boat was with this broker and I went to see it and paid for it within twenty minutes of arriving to look. I then said I would be back to pick the boat up on the friday, this was tuesday and I was told they needed 14 days to sort " everything " out. I wasnt arsey but simply informed them I had paid for it and it was now my property and I would be coming back for it on the friday. They were ok and arranged the bill of sale etc and I returned friday. A cowboy outfit second to non.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Stupid! I'd want the same, whichever marina I was going to view at.

Perhaps lots of boaters should ask to see a few boats on the same day, then pull out when they say no. 

This is a very good idea. Sadly I suspect that the management at Great Haywood are of the DILLIGAF persuasion.

• Haha 1

Not unusual to see poor reviews of brokers - allegedly, that one might figure in more than most. There are good boats at poor brokers, but you buy them there despite the service so they're possibly not for the unseasoned buyer, particularly at distance. Why not line up some viewings at brokers who folk seem very satisfied with? ABNB and Rugby spring to my mind, but a search here will reveal many threads on the topic. Good hunting! 

Before we decided to splash out on a new boat, we looked around at second hand boats. As it happened, we were passing GHBS on our friend’s boat and decided to call in. Mid week, middle of the day. We got a frosty reception when we tried to moor up by the sales office but were eventually “allowed”. We asked to see a boat they had advertised but no-one showed any interest in us, we definitely felt like we were a nuisance. After waiting 1/2 hr for a sales person to attend to us, we got fed up and left. No sale, obviously.

We have since (foolishly) visited that marina on a second occasion, again middle of the day and mid week. We just needed to buy something (I think it was a mooring chain) but the shop was closed for lunch despite it being 15 minutes or so before the advertised lunchtime closing. No sale again! And with 2 strikes, they are out.

• Greenie 2

40 minutes ago, Nut said:

thank you OP I know who I wont be using

would love the brokerage to come and explain

But there lies the problem. There are some cracking boats with some crappy brokers. If you discount the broker you discount the boat unless you can ascertain who the owner is and that is often awkward. My present boat is a great boat and better spec and condition than many around when I wanted to buy. My bro in law bought an absolute beauty that was at the much maligned Whilton as another for instance. If you want a fairly specific boat avoiding certain brokers becomes even harder, its not so bad if you want a standard 57 foot offering but my wants list even though not strict cuts out over ninety percent of boats for sale.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Not unusual to see poor reviews of brokers - allegedly, that one might figure in more than most. There are good boats at poor brokers, but you buy them there despite the service so they're possibly not for the unseasoned buyer, particularly at distance. Why not line up some viewings at brokers who folk seem very satisfied with? ABNB and Rugby spring to my mind, but a search here will reveal many threads on the topic. Good hunting! 

May I add Braunston Marina to the shortlist.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ianali said:

Il pop them back on the list. Best broker I ever dealt with.

I expect you were not the seller of the immaculate boat (still containing lots of personal possessions) which they gave me the keys to, and let me roam around, unaccompanied for half an hour. There was no one in the shop when I came to return them so I left the keys and the two other sets they had given me, on the counter.

So my attitude is that I would rather be a buyer than a seller were I to use this broker!  I don't remember the names but my visit was in June 2013.

55 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I expect you were not the seller of the immaculate boat (still containing lots of personal possessions) which they gave me the keys to, and let me roam around, unaccompanied for half an hour. There was no one in the shop when I came to return them so I left the keys and the two other sets they had given me, on the counter.

So my attitude is that I would rather be a buyer than a seller were I to use this broker!  I don't remember the names but my visit was in June 2013.

That sounds very odd to me, Paul is very proffessional and will not usually allow anyone to look at boats without accompanying them,  I can only assume that he was not available on that day and the person in the office was trying to be helpful. Your experience was more than five years ago so maybe things were different then. I could name another broker often recommended on the forum who we used less than three years ago who was absolutely dreadful, but ownership has changed since then so is irrelevant.  After more than six months of inactivity, we took our boat away and placed it with Braunston Marina, who found a buyer within a few weeks.

Edited by David Schweizer

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

That sounds very odd to me, Paul is very proffessional and will not usually allow anyone to look at boats without accompanying them,  I can only assume that he was not available on that day and the person in the office was trying to be helpful. Your experience was more than five years ago so maybe things were different then. I could name another broker often recommended on the forum who we tried to use less than three years ago who was absolutely dreadfull, but ownership has changed since then so is irelevant.

That same broker who you consider dreadful sold two boats for me very very quickly with zero fuss or bother, or should I say marketed them for me because as a liveaboard I sell my own boats in reality but I used a broker on those two occasions because I couldnt be arsed marketing the boats. I sold a boat for a friend on apollo duck last month within a week as he is too busy to mess about and I am not. Perhaps I should start in the brokerage business!! err maybe not that sounds like work!!!!!!