LPG Ovens

curlass24

Featured Posts

Hello peeps,

We need to buy an LPG oven for our narrow boat. I have seen some that come with a conversion kit.

Do you know if an oven with an lpg conversion will pass the BSS? 

Also any recommendations on good lpg ovens to buy?

Thanks!

Malcolm

If the conversion kit makes the oven flame pattern satisfactory (which it should do) then that in itself isn’t an issue. But the oven will also need to have flame failure / flame supervision device (that shuts the gas supply off if the flame goes out). Most modern ovens have this, but still worth checking before you buy.

No issue with the BSS as far as conversion kits are concerned, what is required is the flame safety device which cuts off the gas if the flames goes out. As to models, we have a belling lpg oven which has been very good. They do singles and doubles for lpg depending on how much room you have.

6 minutes ago, curlass24 said:

Do you know if an oven with an lpg conversion will pass the BSS? 

The only requirement is that it has a flame failure cutout device - known as FFD.

Oh, and that the feed pipe is large enough for all rings and oven to be on full along with any other gas devices. 

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

The only requirement is that it has a flame failure cutout device - known as FFD.

Oh, and that the feed pipe is large enough for all rings and oven to be on full along with any other gas devices. 

For some, there will also be an issue with finding an ignition system to work on 12v dc as opposed to the 240v ac versions normally found in the domestic market.  Domestic sizing is another possible issue with the restricted space and smaller counter sizing in a typical  narrowboat. 

Edited by Sea Dog
Missing words

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

For some, there will also be an issue with finding an ignition system to work on 12v dc as opposed to the 240v ac versions normally found in the domestic market.  Domestic sizing is another possible issue with the restricted space and smaller counter sizing in a typical  narrowboat. 

All true but not a BSS concern. 

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I agree - but they are factors the OP will need to consider in any answers to his second question. Its also why we continue to persevere with a Caprice MkIII! :)

I’d forgotten all about the 2nd question!

I guess my answer would be “whatever takes your fancy”. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

I’d forgotten all about the 2nd question!

I guess my answer would be “whatever takes your fancy”. 

Well I hope he finds one and remembers to come back to tell us what it was - I might be in the queue behind him!

Some lpg kits are fiddly to install, particularly the main oven/grill.Having fitted a conversion kit once i won't bother doing another. There are plenty of decent cookers on offer, with a wider choice available from marine rather than canal based chandlerys. 

Parents are on LPG at home, had a lovely Newsworld cooker back in the late 80's which was replaced 'like for like' five years ago but sadly in the mean time the brand had been bought up by GlenDimplex and the quality is awfull.

The kitchen is smaller so would ideally have a 550 rather than a 600 as might suit a boat. So I'll watch this for suggestions. 

Daniel

10 hours ago, DHutch said:

Parents are on LPG at home, had a lovely Newsworld cooker back in the late 80's which was replaced 'like for like' five years ago but sadly in the mean time the brand had been bought up by GlenDimplex and the quality is awfull.

The kitchen is smaller so would ideally have a 550 rather than a 600 as might suit a boat. So I'll watch this for suggestions. 

Daniel

New world, leisure, etc. all seem to have gone the same way quality wise. We went for a dometic cooker last time and the quality is excellent, probably not ideal for home use being gimballed though. I did see an Italian made one at Denham yacht Station but can't remember the name, it was narrow and looked well made. 

Had our LPG cooker converted by the gas registered engineer. Certificate issued. Had a stainless steel hinged lid made which also clips to cabin side and protect both window and side. Doubles as additional work surface. 240 volt lighting ignition system or we us a hand held gasless igniter

1 hour ago, BWM said:

Depending on the planned layout of the kitchen those lift up glass lids can be a problem, due to the cabin side profile. 

Good point. With many of those lids you have to lift them past 90 degrees for the hob burners to light. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Good point. With many of those lids you have to lift them past 90 degrees for the hob burners to light. 

Yes, many have a cut out switch fitted but is rarely mentioned in the specification!