Transiting Trent Falls Ouse to Trent

David Maynard

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Have a look at the river gauge for keadby

Half an hour of flood achieves about 0.4m of depth

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2144

Crikey, yes, it steams in, doesn't it! Or rather it rises quickly - the tide itself still comes in according to normal tidal movement (the sheer volume of the sea being the irresistible force) but also backs up the river hence the rapid depth change, I suppose. 

36 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Crikey, yes, it steams in, doesn't it! Or rather it rises quickly - the tide itself still comes in according to normal tidal movement (the sheer volume of the sea being the irresistible force) but also backs up the river hence the rapid depth change, I suppose. 

It does stream in fast once it gets going  up to 5 knots going upstream  .

The humber narrows and funnels the water upstream and the trent funnels further.

The effect is even more pronounced further upstream where , on springs, the Aegir cand develop.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Runs in for approx. 2 hours on the Trent, hence the aeiger on big spring tides.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Don't be daft. Tony Dunkley can be a bit abrupt and occasionally more so on certain subjects, but he's a fund of useful knowledge and, in my view, is much missed on here.  Of course there is plenty of good advice here, but Tony is hugely knowledgeable and an expert on certain parts of the system and there's no shame in saying so.  When I was having engine problems he took the trouble to track me down, phone me and give me a great deal of useful advice.  Just don't try to persuade him CRT is the best thing since sliced bread...

Nor in my opinion, should we have any problem with the existence of TB - it's not a competition, it's just two forums run on different lines and quite a lot of people are members of both.  Some of us prefer the posting style of one rather than the other, but I guess most of us visit from time to time anyway.

No competition at at all. All of the knobs have gone over there. They can have their own back slapping sessions over there.

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Haha 1
  • Unimpressed 1

18 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

the aeiger on big spring tides.

There used to be aegir  predictions published but  I haven't seen that for a few years.

The year before last in early July we met hardly a ripple  down towards Keadby but the tide became  a 1 metre wave at Gainsborough.?

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Don't be daft. Tony Dunkley can be a bit abrupt and occasionally more so on certain subjects, but he's a fund of useful knowledge and, in my view, is much missed on here.  Of course there is plenty of good advice here, but Tony is hugely knowledgeable and an expert on certain parts of the system and there's no shame in saying so.  When I was having engine problems he took the trouble to track me down, phone me and give me a great deal of useful advice.  Just don't try to persuade him CRT is the best thing since sliced bread...

Nor in my opinion, should we have any problem with the existence of TB - it's not a competition, it's just two forums run on different lines and quite a lot of people are members of both.  Some of us prefer the posting style of one rather than the other, but I guess most of us visit from time to time anyway.

Sensible,truthful post.

5 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Maybe TD can help, but do you really have to act as Thunderboat recruiting sergeant ?  In TD's thread  "Tempt CWDF'ers over here for some useful advice" implies you can't get good advice on this forum.  There is very good advice on this forum.  It does you no credit posting on TD's behalf because he's banned from this forum.

This is exactly the type of post which incites trouble between the two forums in my opinion.I happily shift between both & appreciate advice/help from either of them.

5 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Edited by Athy
Multiple post.
  • Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Maybe TD can help, but do you really have to act as Thunderboat recruiting sergeant ?  In TD's thread  "Tempt CWDF'ers over here for some useful advice" implies you can't get good advice on this forum.  There is very good advice on this forum.  It does you no credit posting on TD's behalf because he's banned from this forum.

This is exactly the type of post which incites trouble between the two forums in my opinion.I happily shift between both & appreciate advice/help from either of them.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Flyboy said:

It's simple Flyboy, somebody needed help and all I did was point him in the direction of somebody who could help 

I'm not trying to recruit anyone and if you bothered to read that thread when you visited you would realise it was tongue in cheek.

I suggest you stop trying to wind things up because as of now all is happy, calm and peaceful, if you had bothered to check my profile you would find I've been a member here for 10 years and have a decent reputation so don't start having a go at me pal 

Phil

• Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

And TD's thread isn't ?    "Tempt CWDF'ers over here for some useful advice"  isn't in your view.

• Unimpressed 1

1 minute ago, Phil Ambrose said:

It's simple Flyboy, somebody needed help and all I did was point him in the direction of somebody who could help 

I'm not trying to recruit anyone and if you bothered to read that thread when you visited you would realise it was tongue in cheek.

I suggest you stop trying to wind things up because as of now all is happy, calm and peaceful, if you had bothered to check my profile you would find I've been a member here for 10 years and have a decent reputation so don't start having a go at me pal 

Phil

You started it by acting as TD's proxy poster. I'll let others form their own opinion on it.

• Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

No competition at at all. All of the knobs have gone over there. They can have their own back slapping sessions over there.

All?

Phil

4 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

You started it by acting as TD's proxy poster. I'll let others form their own opinion on it.

For heaven's sake, get over yourself, there are many TB members who are regular posters here and hey let's compare reps before you start calling me out 

Phil

9 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Charming,I'm certainly not a knob/nob & have never caused trouble...unlike some !

Edited by The Bearwood Boster
  • Greenie 2

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

It does stream in fast once it gets going  up to 5 knots going upstream  .

The humber narrows and funnels the water upstream and the trent funnels further.

The effect is even more pronounced further upstream where , on springs, the Aegir cand develop.

11 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Interesting stuff. Thanks :)

11 hours ago, Flyboy said:

And TD's thread isn't ?    "Tempt CWDF'ers over here for some useful advice"  isn't in your view.

It doesn't matter what the lads play at on TB. It's unmoderated so you get some daftness, some unpleasantness and some bad language. Who cares? The normal forum rule is "If you don't like it, don't read it". If you know you won't like it, why bother with it. You don't in any other bit of life - I don't like boating on rivers, so I stay on the canals as far as possible. But I don't therefore think people who like rivers are idiots, or shouldn't be allowed to say what they want. 

I don't belong to TB because I don't like it much and it seems only half a dozen people are active anyway, there's more variety of opinions here. I visit because I'm interested in what Dunkley does because I like him, and the fact that he's called me a few rude names in the past is just his way. I've heard worse in the workplace. 

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 2

3 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Charming,I'm certainly not a knob/nob & have never caused trouble...unlike some !

Law of the excluded middle, I think. "All the knobs are in Thunderboat" does not mean that "all in Thunderboat are knobs" . Please note this is an exercise in logic, not a personal opinion on the spherical nature of anyone, anywhere, either on the planet or in cyberspace. An appearance of circularity often depends on the position of the viewer. 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It doesn't matter what the lads play at on TB. It's unmoderated so you get some daftness, some unpleasantness and some bad language. Who cares? The normal forum rule is "If you don't like it, don't read it". If you know you won't like it, why bother with it. You don't in any other bit of life - I don't like boating on rivers, so I stay on the canals as far as possible. But I don't therefore think people who like rivers are idiots, or shouldn't be allowed to say what they want. 

I don't belong to TB because I don't like it much and it seems only half a dozen people are active anyway, there's more variety of opinions here. I visit because I'm interested in what Dunkley does because I like him, and the fact that he's called me a few rude names in the past is just his way. I've heard worse in the workplace. 

Tony is a nice bloke. I have conversed with him when I was a Trent skipper. A knowledgable bloke who takes no prisoners, he is a loss to this forum. I also like Rachel, I have only ever met her with a wave when I was skippering the Nottingham Princess but she says it how it is.

On 04/01/2019 at 12:46, Fitter kieron said:

For someone like me who might only access the Trent via the Ouse on my boat maybe only a handful of times in my life the Boating Association books are essential. The navigational notes, transit lines and having every marker light and feature to gauge progress is really reassuring. Everything is there and easy to read. I would like to make this trip again to access the Chesterfield canal from Barmby in one day. Setting off from the anchor point at Trent falls last time i could feel the boat sliding over a mud bank so maybe next time i will sit on anchor longer. Also found that the flow on the flood tide past Keadby was really strong and i used most if not all of my 27hp to get into the lock

Hi

Copy and paste information from Tony Dunkley. 

***FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY***

Quote follows:

"Whilst glancing through CWDF's latest crop of contributions earlier I came across one in redfox226's 'Transiting Trent Falls Ouse to Trent' thread by CWDF member 'Fitter Kieron' which gives rise to some serious concerns over the potential dangers posed by the Flood to small craft grounding over the Low water period or first of the Flood on the outer end of Middle Sand (now re-named Island Sand) in the Lower Trent. This is what he said : -

Fitter kieron
Boat Name:Vixen
Posted 6 hours ago

For someone like me who might only access the Trent via the Ouse on my boat maybe only a handful of times in my life the Boating Association books are essential. The navigational notes, transit lines and having every marker light and feature to gauge progress is really reassuring. Everything is there and easy to read. I would like to make this trip again to access the Chesterfield canal from Barmby in one day. Setting off from the anchor point at Trent falls last time i could feel the boat sliding over a mud bank so maybe next time i will sit on anchor longer. Also found that the flow on the flood tide past Keadby was really strong and i used most if not all of my 27hp to get into the lock
                                                            ____________________________________________

The sentence underlined and in bold is the matter of concern. From what he's said it can be concluded that he was anchored over the LW period at or near the point designated as an anchorage on ABP's Charts, close to the Western training wall and roughly halfway between South Trent Light and Adlingfleet (Old river Don outfall) Light. 

On mean tides (halfway between Neaps and Springs) and above the Flood begins to run strongly up the Trent immediately after LW, and any inbound boat leaving that anchorage and heading for the Eastern side marked channel (Cliff End Leading Lights) at or shortly after LW is likely to be set towards and grounded on the outer end of Middle Sand by the strength and speed of the tide. It is at this point that things get really dangerous for small craft. Once aground and held by the tide on the outer end of Middle (Island) Sand it is impossible for any boat to escape until the tide has 'made' enough for it to float over the shallowest areas, and the strength of the tide can be sufficient to roll small vessels over long before there is sufficient depth for them to float clear.

I posted several warnings to this effect before I was permanently banned from CWDF, and ABP - Humber publish the same warning in the Pleasure Craft Navigation pages on their website.  Would someone from here please relay this information to 'Fitter Kieron', and anyone else on CWDF who may or could use this marked Trent End anchorage, . . they just might not be as lucky as he was."

end

12 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Great.

Now he has a parrot on here ?

Language, dear ! 

No. I'm neutral I just thought what Tony Dunkley posted was interesting from a navigation safety point of view which is why I copied it here. 

Edited by Athy
  • Greenie 5
  • Unimpressed 1