Transiting Trent Falls Ouse to Trent

David Maynard

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

The person was banned for a reason.

His grudge against CRT and his over robust defence of it, and his refusal to accept that others had valid arguments, often leading to a level of personal abuse not tolerated here is why he was banned and is no doubt happier surrounded by the like minded elsewhere. Doesn't mean some of his advice isn't useful and it's better quoted by those we know rather than those who join just to stir things up . 

Edited by Athy
  • Greenie 3

9 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Me to. 

:cheers:

Me as well. Knowledge in depth, which should be an asset to this forum. I am certainly not in favour of petty and childish name calling which smacks of the playground.  Those types of opinions are best left unsaid.:cheers:

Howard

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

His grudge against CRT and his over robust defence of it, and his refusal to accept that others had valid arguments, often leading to a level of personal abuse not tolerated here is why he was banned and is no doubt happier surrounded by the like minded elsewhere. Doesn't mean some of his advice isn't useful and it's better quoted by those we know rather than those who join just to stir things up . 

The person who copied over Tony's post didn't "join to stir things up", like me, he has been a member of this forum longer than t'other, though only occasionally posting here. Certain members here seem to be speeding in to cause bother, when bridges need to be put in place. Has anyone any instructions re bridges? 

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

The person who copied over Tony's post didn't "join to stir things up", like me, he has been a member of this forum longer than t'other, though only occasionally posting here. Certain members here seem to be speeding in to cause bother, when bridges need to be put in place. Has anyone any instructions re bridges? 

That's rather the point I was making. Are you deliberately misinterpreting me, or just having a kneejerk reaction?

I see no reason for bridges, though. I don't care what anyone says on TB, and see no reason why anyone there should care what's said on here, though some seem to, judging by the number of threads referring to CW. Each to their own. 

While I miss some of the expertise that's gone, I don't miss the abusive posting style that went with a lot of it and would almost certainly return should the perpetrators do. As there's a place where nobody minds it, what we have seems to be the best of all possible worlds. And if useful info can be shared in a friendly manner, all to the good. 

• Greenie 3

48 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's rather the point I was making. Are you deliberately misinterpreting me, or just having a kneejerk reaction?

I see no reason for bridges, though. I don't care what anyone says on TB, and see no reason why anyone there should care what's said on here, though some seem to, judging by the number of threads referring to CW. Each to their own. 

While I miss some of the expertise that's gone, I don't miss the abusive posting style that went with a lot of it and would almost certainly return should the perpetrators do. As there's a place where nobody minds it, what we have seems to be the best of all possible worlds. And if useful info can be shared in a friendly manner, all to the good. 

I think we are in agreement, I just wished to clarify Magnetman's status here, some may not realise. Not all the trouble starts from TB members either, certain posts by  a regular here have been edited by mods. It must be a struggle now MTB has taken the shared brain cell with him. 

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

I think we are in agreement, I just wished to clarify Magnetman's status here, some may not realise. Not all the trouble starts from TB members either, certain posts by  a regular here have been edited by mods. It must be a struggle now MTB has taken the shared brain cell with him. 

I agree. I think this thread, like me, is exhausted. 

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd prefer the 'original' back.

A wealth of knowledge and years of experience.

No thanks.

ETA: his "wealth of knowledge " has led many people a merry dance and cost them untold money.

How's the lightship doing nowadays?

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Unimpressed 1

18 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

No thanks.

ETA: his "wealth of knowledge " has led many people a merry dance and cost them untold money.

How's the lightship doing nowadays?

Still trying to wind things up Rachael? Let's hope nobody starts a thread on speeding 

Why not just let it  go?, as I said earlier, all as of now is calm and peaceful so why not let that stand.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose
  • Greenie 3

23 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Still trying to wind things up Rachael? Let's hope nobody starts a thread on speeding 

Why not just let it  go?, as I said earlier, all as of now is calm and peaceful so why not let that stand.

Phil

You should know by now Phil that I will give as good as I get.

You will also know that several of the later posts in this thread were also winding things up.

So as always I will and always will give as good as I get.

27 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You should know by now Phil that I will give as good as I get.

You will also know that several of the later posts in this thread were also winding things up.

So as always I will and always will give as good as I get.

Yes I know you will always give as good as you get, nowt wrong with that but...... as of yet nobody has given you anything, you just popped up with a bit of a rant 

Phil

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Yes I know you will always give as good as you get, nowt wrong with that but...... as of yet nobody has given you anything, you just popped up with a bit of a rant 

Phil

I would read back then and have a look again. Jog your memory maybe.

20 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I would read back then and have a look again. Jog your memory maybe.

Not possible, your rant has been edited, has unladylike language been removed? It's not allowed on here, you need to go elsewhere to hone those skills, you'll get plenty of practice in robust banter.

• Greenie 1

Anyway 

A bit more comment on the Trent. I realise that people will have looked at the other forum but in the event of someone finding this thread by chance due to some searching its probably worth having as much details as possible. 

I personally would hate to think people died because of something I failed to do. 

Its just text. 

-----

Hi Tony ...... was reading that post/warning of yours.

Under those conditions (neap tide and early on the flood) In a very shoal draft craft would it be safer when leaving the anchorage near South Trent Beacon to go upstream hugging the West bank through the West Trent channel ?
                                                               _________________________________________

To get underway from that marked anchorage on the first of the Flood, that would be my preferred choice every time, John, with anything and regardless of draught. Stemming the Flood back down past South Trent Light in getting away from the anchorage, and then turning eastwards across the tide when you've got the East Trent leading lights lining up will always leave you vulnerable to being carried onto and grounding on the outer end of Middle Sand if you misjudge the tide rate, wind strength and direction, or if you're unlucky enough to suffer a temporary loss of power for any reason whilst doing it. With a commercial vessel, barge or tug/tow, it would just cost you time until the tide had made enough to float you over the shallowest parts of Middle Sand, but with a small pleasure boat it could cost you a lot more. I know it's fairly long odds against something like that happening at precisely the wrong moment, but I'm a great believer in contributing to and making your own reserves of luck, and not using any of it up until you really need to.

West Trent channel round Middle Sand has always tended to change a bit in depth and width in cycles, but generally staying deep enough for at least light, inbound barges, and ABP's most recent surveys and charts have shown that it's lately been washing out and getting a good bit deeper and wider again whilst the East Trent with the Cliff End leading lights looks to be making up, especially at the top end near the remains of the stoneheap about halfway between Flats Light and Cliff End (low) Light. 

I last went up that West Trent side just before the Besthorpe-Whitwood gravel job finished in July 2013 with a light barge drawing about 4' 6'', when it was quite a bit narrower and shallower than it is now. We were quite early on a mean tide Flood, having waited for it on Tackhammer, but got through alright just riding over a bit of a bar towards the top end near West Trent Light. To find the deepest water through there you need to run no more than about 40 -50 yards off the shore/stones before passing Henderson Light, then 30 yards at most off the stones after passing Henderson Light then just before the stoneheap lowside of Island House Light, swinging head to Cliff End Light and keeping it on there until roughly midway between the two lights, and then steering for and passing close to the big stoneheap just over halfway between Cliff End Light and Hillside Light.

-----

i just hope I save a life or two 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zUoT5AxFpRs

• Greenie 1