Transiting Trent Falls Ouse to Trent

David Maynard

Featured Posts

I seek the collective Forum wisdom regarding the above transit - specifically is there a duty to make Humber VTS aware of ones intentions, or will contacting lockkeepers alone be sufficient? 

I intend making the transit in a 20ft trailer sailer with 1ft draft on a neap tide at slack low water.

TIA

David

Redfox 'Foxglove'

In theory VTS will be pleased to hear from you as you pass Goole and  Keadby  although if you don't there will be no penalty. have a look at the ABP website as follows ...........

http://www.humber.com/Yachting_and_Leisure/Pleasure_Craft_Navigation/

Lock keepers at Goole and Keadby not interested unless you want to go in . In which case you need to phone the day before to book a passage.

I doubt there will be much moving at low tide at Trent falls.

I strongly suggest you obtain the charts for the Trent and Ouse (which may be printed off the ABP website) as at low tide it is imperative to stick to the channel .

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

In theory VTS will be pleased to hear from you as you pass Goole and  Keadby  although if you don't there will be no penalty. have a look at the ABP website as follows ...........

http://www.humber.com/Yachting_and_Leisure/Pleasure_Craft_Navigation/

Lock keepers at Goole and Keadby not interested unless you want to go in . In which case you need to phone the day before to book a passage.

I doubt there will be much moving at low tide at Trent falls.

I strongly suggest you obtain the charts for the Trent and Ouse (which may be printed off the ABP website) as at low tide it is imperative to stick to the channel .

Thank you Martyn - I have Humber, Ouse and Trent Charts and have overlaid them on Google earth, so should be OK with the channel - I have a laptop on the boat with GPS attached....

There is no requirement for small craft to contact Humber VTS on that stretch, but they are friendly enough and will be happy to take your plan and warn any larger vessels of your intentions. Although you will unlikely meet any larger vessels at that state of tide anyway.

If it is a nice day it is a lovely spot to drop the anchor and enjoy a bite to eat.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, David Maynard said:

I seek the collective Forum wisdom regarding the above transit - specifically is there a duty to make Humber VTS aware of ones intentions, or will contacting lockkeepers alone be sufficient? 

I intend making the transit in a 20ft trailer sailer with 1ft draft on a neap tide at slack low water.

TIA

David

Redfox 'Foxglove'

Are you singlehanded and do you have VHF ?

12 minutes ago, MartynG said:

What is your intended destination?

Gibraltar Point on the Wash.  Just doing because I can really!

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If it is a nice day it is a lovely spot to drop the anchor and enjoy a bite to eat.

Thanks - might well do just that while waiting for the flood up the Trent......

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you singlehanded and do you have VHF ?

There will be 2 of us I hope, crew less experienced.... I have fixed and HH VHFs but will have to cobble a rail mount aerial for the former...

I did this trip both ways last year we went out of ocean lock had a rest at trent falls whilst tide changed and onwards to Keadby. Coming back we left Gainsborough and had a rest at Trent falls and then went up to Goole easy. Now there are big boats wandering around very big! so Humber VTS will tell you about them, with your draught however you can easily do the trip in one go and avoid all the moving big boats which isnt a bad thing. Also do it in daylight because neither river is much fun in the dark! Ask me how I know ?

• Greenie 1

The boating association publish really comprehensive booklets for the Ouse and Trent which i used when making this trip. I folded them open on the page i needed inside an A4 plastic sleeve giving protection from wind and rain. I also contacted Goole a day or so before my planned journey to make them aware of my passage (as well as the locks i was passing through Barmby and Keadby) and again by VHF for permission before passing Ocean lock. 

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Fitter kieron said:

The boating association publish really comprehensive booklets for the Ouse and Trent which i used when making this trip.

Thanks Kieron - I have those and the ABP line charts for lower ouse and Trent.  I was somewhat surprised that the BA ones were Google Earth based......

9 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

A bit off topic, but it anyone wants "charts" for the tidal Nene and Great Ouse, then my homemade versions (2015) are here

https://nbsg.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/nene_guide_aug2015.pdf

https://nbsg.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/ouse_june15.pdf

There are some pontoon moorings at Sutton Bridge now on the Tidal Nene.

Not had a chance to visit them yet. Might make a long weekend of it this year and pay a visit,

23 hours ago, David Maynard said:

Thanks Kieron - I have those and the ABP line charts for lower ouse and Trent.  I was somewhat surprised that the BA ones were Google Earth based......

We gave our Trent chart book away years ago. It wasn't much use too us.

We have a quick look at the ABP online charts if we are heading down to Trent Falls and below just to check the latest channel line. That is the only section that really changes.

For someone like me who might only access the Trent via the Ouse on my boat maybe only a handful of times in my life the Boating Association books are essential. The navigational notes, transit lines and having every marker light and feature to gauge progress is really reassuring. Everything is there and easy to read. I would like to make this trip again to access the Chesterfield canal from Barmby in one day. Setting off from the anchor point at Trent falls last time i could feel the boat sliding over a mud bank so maybe next time i will sit on anchor longer. Also found that the flow on the flood tide past Keadby was really strong and i used most if not all of my 27hp to get into the lock

35 minutes ago, Fitter kieron said:

For someone like me who might only access the Trent via the Ouse on my boat maybe only a handful of times in my life the Boating Association books are essential. The navigational notes, transit lines and having every marker light and feature to gauge progress is really reassuring. Everything is there and easy to read. I would like to make this trip again to access the Chesterfield canal from Barmby in one day. Setting off from the anchor point at Trent falls last time i could feel the boat sliding over a mud bank so maybe next time i will sit on anchor longer. Also found that the flow on the flood tide past Keadby was really strong and i used most if not all of my 27hp to get into the lock

We usually wait 15-20 minutes after the tide has turned before we set off from the anchorage to give us plenty of water.

6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

There are some pontoon moorings at Sutton Bridge now on the Tidal Nene.

Not had a chance to visit them yet. Might make a long weekend of it this year and pay a visit,

Thank you. I am planning to walk from Sutton Bridge to Kings Lynn in February/March, and will take some photos ...    They are clearly visible on Google Earth ....

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.7685327,0.197352,503m/data=!3m1!1e3

S

On 02/01/2019 at 21:44, Phil Ambrose said:

Hi David, now I hope I will not get into trouble for posting this, but Tony Dunkley has a wealth of knowledge in this area, unfortunately he is unable to use this site but can be found on Thunderboat 

I'm certain he can assist.

Phil

Maybe TD can help, but do you really have to act as Thunderboat recruiting sergeant ?  In TD's thread  "Tempt CWDF'ers over here for some useful advice" implies you can't get good advice on this forum.  There is very good advice on this forum.  It does you no credit posting on TD's behalf because he's banned from this forum.

Edited by Flyboy

5 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We usually wait 15-20 minutes after the tide has turned before we set off from the anchorage to give us plenty of water.

If you don't already know it, look up the tide "rule of twelfths".  In the first hour after the tide turns the water depth will increase by just 1/12th (in for a 6m tide you'll only have 50cm more depth after a full hour), so your 15-20 minutes may not get you the "plenty" you imagine it does. The rate increases through 2/12ths in hour 2 to a max of 3/12ths each for hours 3 & 4, before slowing again at the same rate.  It may be that the tiny first 20 minutes worth of the example 50cm (or whatever 8% of the tidal range is at the location) is plenty for whatever Naughty Cal draws and you will, I'm sure, have plenty of depth to spare at the anchorage (hence why I opened with "If you don't already know") so forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but it may help other those less familiar with tidal waters! :)

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

If you don't already know it, look up the tide "rule of twelfths".  In the first hour after the tide turns the water depth will increase by just 1/12th (in for a 6m tide you'll only have 50cm more depth after a full hour), so your 15-20 minutes may not get you the "plenty" you imagine it does. The rate increases through 2/12ths in hour 2 to a max of 3/12ths each for hours 3 & 4, before slowing again at the same rate.  It may be that the tiny first 20 minutes worth of the example 50cm (or whatever 8% of the tidal range is at the location) is plenty for whatever Naughty Cal draws and you will, I'm sure, have plenty of depth to spare at the anchorage (hence why I opened with "If you don't already know") so forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but it may help other those less familiar with tidal waters! :)

I don't think that rule holds  true as the tide runs in fast and runs out more slowly compared to tide at the coast

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Maybe TD can help, but do you really have to act as Thunderboat recruiting sergeant ?  In TD's thread  "Tempt CWDF'ers over here for some useful advice" implies you can't get good advice on this forum.  There is very good advice on this forum.  It does you no credit posting on TD's behalf because he's banned from this forum.

Whatever his faults, it cannot be denied that TD knows what he is talking about when it comes to the tidal Trent and surrounding area. No harm is letting the OP know where to obtain the benefit of that knowledge.

• Greenie 2