The Folly Inn at new years

Mike E-W

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Sorry!

Folly_from_the_air.jpg.8d0cd70c82cbb0602c216b4f9ec24a05.jpg

I should perhaps have added Sarah's facebook post that many will be unable to read. It gives the Folly another thumbs up -

I CAN SEE THE PUB FROM HERE!!!!

Thank you to everyone at The Folly for helping to make our Dad's 70th such a brilliant one. He's threatening to arrive by parachute next time now that he's got arriving by car, boat, on foot and by helicopter out of the way.

You were all totally brilliant and the roast was top notch too.

Keep doing what you're doing and hope to see you soon!

• 1 month later...

We visited the Folly yesterday evening on account of me having had a birthday during the week. Well worth the one hour journey in either direction (particularly as I wasn't driving).

Superb pint(s) of North Cotswold brewery Shagweaver and it also had Hooky and Old Hooky on plus a local cider.

Kids enjoyed the entertainment by Mark the landlord and good, solid pub food. It was rammed but extending it would spoil the character. Had a good chat about the history of the place.

Noted that Shagweaver uses New World hops yet is superbly balanced and I rounded off the evening by cancelling an order for a single malt Scotch whisky when I spotted a bottle of Canadian grain sprit distilled in a chemical factory in the middle of nowhere gathering dust on a shelf.

JP

• Greenie 1

We ate in the folly, i had a steak sandwich which was fine and wifey had ribs buy they were not great by any means.....looked like they came out of a packet and microwaved.

beer was okay tho. 

Best pub we stopped at on our 180 mile journey was the great western arms at aynho wharf.....not cheap but boy it was good and the rhubarb cider was fantastic 

Edited by Matt&Jo

1 minute ago, Matt&Jo said:

We ate in the folly, i had a steak sandwich and wifey had ribs buy they were not great by any means.....looked like they came out of a packet and microwaved.

beer was okay tho. 

Best pub we stopped at on our 180 mile journey was the great western arms at aynho wharf.....not cheap but boy it was good and the rhubarb cider was fantastic 

The GWA was a brilliant pub when Dave Varney had it but alass he packed in a few years ago now.

12 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

We ate in the folly, i had a steak sandwich which was fine and wifey had ribs buy they were not great by any means.....looked like they came out of a packet and microwaved.

beer was okay tho. 

Great Western arms is ok if you are having food but god forbid you go in for a pint and sit at a table. if someone comes in for food and there is no tables left , even though they haven't booked you will get chucked off of the table. 

37 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

beer was okay tho. 

Ribs in a pub, what's the realistic level of expectation? Unless it's the kind of place that serves a rack of lamb, which the Folly isn't and doesn't pretend to be.

JP

17 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Ribs in a pub, what's the realistic level of expectation? Unless it's the kind of place that serves a rack of lamb, which the Folly isn't and doesn't pretend to be.

JP

Ribs in a pub is not unrealistic is it? Certainly not darn sarf.....its a menu mainstay.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

We visited the Folly yesterday evening on account of me having had a birthday during the week. Well worth the one hour journey in either direction (particularly as I wasn't driving).

Superb pint(s) of North Cotswold brewery Shagweaver and it also had Hooky and Old Hooky on plus a local cider.

Kids enjoyed the entertainment by Mark the landlord and good, solid pub food. It was rammed but extending it would spoil the character. Had a good chat about the history of the place.

Noted that Shagweaver uses New World hops yet is superbly balanced and I rounded off the evening by cancelling an order for a single malt Scotch whisky when I spotted a bottle of Canadian grain sprit distilled in a chemical factory in the middle of nowhere gathering dust on a shelf.

JP

HOORAY!

A posting about a pub that mentions beer (OK, and spirits) but doesn't focus on food.

:cheers:

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Great Western arms is ok if you are having food but god forbid you go in for a pint and sit at a table. if someone comes in for food and there is no tables left , even though they haven't booked you will get chucked off of the table. 

Grrrrrr.......

Well in ain't a pub then, is it.

What happens if you refuse to move until you are ready?

38 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

HOORAY!

A posting about a pub that mentions beer (OK, and spirits) but doesn't focus on food.

:cheers:

Grrrrrr.......

Well in ain't a pub then, is it.

What happens if you refuse to move until you are ready?

And hereby lies the problem. So many pubs are no longer pubs but licensed cafes now, a crying shame. The very busy pub in my old village were my Mum still lives served no food whatsoever since time immamorial.  It is a very busy country village pub even today and the only food they do is a few pre made wrapped sarnies at the back of the bar on occasion. Never a menu or cooking so its still a real pub, not many left now.

31 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

And hereby lies the problem. So many pubs are no longer pubs but licensed cafes now, a crying shame. The very busy pub in my old village were my Mum still lives served no food whatsoever since time immamorial.  It is a very busy country village pub even today and the only food they do is a few pre made wrapped sarnies at the back of the bar on occasion. Never a menu or cooking so its still a real pub, not many left now.

Is time immamorial around 1 year old?:cheers:

Howard

2 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Ribs in a pub is not unrealistic is it? Certainly not darn sarf.....its a menu mainstay.

Sorry. I didn't mean availability, I was musing on how they might be prepared in general in a pub kitchen. I am sure the meat would always be hygienically pre-packaged although I suspect you meant the sauce was in the packet as well. I doubt many pubs go to the trouble of preparing their own sauce for ribs. My daughter had the ribs yesterday and seemed to find them OK but to be fair they are not something I routinely eat in pubs so if your good lady has sampled a few and declares the Folly's to be not so good then so be it.

JP

58 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Quality of spirits is a very good indicator of how seriously a pub takes it's products.

At my last pub I stocked 180 single malts, many of which that were cask strength. Apart from 8 cask ales and Old Rosie. 

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The GWA was a brilliant pub when Dave Varney had it but alass he packed in a few years ago now.

I used to moor at Aynho when I was cruising on the Oxford and the Great Western Arms was a good old fashioned pub with no nonsense decor, But that was nearly twenty years ago. I visited it again about twelve years ago, but it had been poshed up with an expensive  and pretentious menu.  I did not like it and moved on. I have not been there since.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I used to moor at Aynho when I was cruising on the Oxford and the Great Western Arms was a good old fashioned pub with no nonsense decor, But that was nearly twenty years ago. I visited it again about twelve years ago, but it had been poshed up with an expensive  and pretentious menu.  I did not like it and moved on. I have not been there since.

Yes that was when Dave Varney was the tenant. A bloody good cook himself and a proper character he was. The place takes far more money these days but alas tis no longer a pub by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by mrsmelly

31 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Spending another winter up North, this year in Yorkshire, they do proper pubs and proper beer up here, popping out for a quick couple right now, just a little local boozer but still has 8 handpumps.

............Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

Spending another winter up North, this year in Yorkshire, they do proper pubs and proper beer up here, popping out for a quick couple right now, just a little local boozer but still has 8 handpumps.

............Dave

I know it well. yorkshire that is. I was there again yesterday.