Alternator Voltage Regulator Tuning

Cas446

Featured Posts

I have a mains fridge setup with a 1600VA inverter and it works fine. As you would expect when the engine is running and the compressor kicks in, the alternator pulls the revs down. This is not really a problem but I do wonder why the alternator voltage regulator has to be set so sensitive given that the inrush required to start the compressor only lasts for <500ms.

I was wondering if it was possible to install a remote voltage regulator and then add some sort of passive filter in the voltage sense to effectivly slow the regulator response, thus avoiding the engine rev dip and all the assoociated stress on belts etc..

Ant thoughts?

My thought is that it is a lot of hassle to cure a non-problem. If you slug the alternator regulator, you merely transfer the load to the batteries. Is that better or worse?

If you slug the alternator regulator, it means that when there is a heavy load on which is suddenly turned off, the voltage will over-swing. Definitely worse.