Smartgauge and Amp meter

GUMPY

Featured Posts

So you have a Nasa BM1  with shunt wired correctly with all the -ve on the end of the shunt and you wish to wire a Smartgauge in with it.

It specifically says in the instructions that SG should be wired directly to the battery as otherwise it wil not be accurate.

However all -ve should be on one end of the shunt. Once you have fitted the SG the BM1 is only there to be used as an ammeter, Which way do you wire the SG on the battery terminal or on the shunt.?

All the negative cables go on the end of the shunt so ALL current going in or out of the batteries must pass through the shunt to give an accurate current measurement, but the smart gauge current draw is tiny as it is ‘just’ a smart voltmeter, so I can’t think of a reason to not wire it in as per the sg instructions.

Quite simply, follow the SG instructions. It must be connected directly to the battery, using the same terminals as the power feed. 

9 minutes ago, Loddon said:

It specifically says in the instructions that SG should be wired directly to the battery as otherwise it wil not be accurate.

Definitely directly to the batteries. Yes it does mean that the shunt won’t see the SG supply current, but it is very small. If you put the SG -ve after the shunt, it will see the voltage dropped across the shunt and thus won’t work properly.

This is how my SG and AH-counting Mastershunt are wired.

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

Quite simply, follow the SG instructions. It must be connected directly to the battery, using the same terminals as the power feed. 

Yet on Bm1Funny readings thread.

Who wrote?

One connection and one connection only to the battery - the shunt. All other wires, yes all of them, yes even that one, and the starter negative... yes all of them, go to the other side of the shunt. 

I'm confused? Or ........... 

5 minutes ago, Dinz said:

Who wrote?

One connection and one connection only to the battery - the shunt. All other wires, yes all of them, yes even that one, and the starter negative... yes all of them, go to the other side of the shunt. 

I'm confused? Or ........... 

Only confusing if you don’t understand the issues. All loads should go via the shunt. End of.

Except for the Smartgauge.

Clear now?

11 hours ago, Dinz said:

Who wrote?

As per Nick & Sam, SmartGauge isn’t a load. It’s a monitor. 

12 hours ago, Loddon said:

Good to see almost all agreeing 

I only see agreement. There is only one correct answer.