Copper piping turned silver

bigcol

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, bizzard said:

That's true.  :mellow:

As kids we used to put our tongue across the terminals on the PP9 batteries - you soon got an idea if the battery was 'full' or not - but could not determine the voltage to 2 decimal place.

My 'lads' are both a bit 'frit' of electric and they blame me for it. They reckon that it is because I used to get them to go around the horse paddocks checking to see if the electric fence (15,000 volts) was working.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As kids we used to put our tongue across the terminals on the PP9 batteries - you soon got an idea if the battery was 'full' or not - but could not determine the voltage to 2 decimal place.

My 'lads' are both a bit 'frit' of electric and they blame me for it. They reckon that it is because I used to get them to go around the horse paddocks checking to see if the electric fence (15,000 volts) was working.

If you touch a PP9's terminals on a ball of fine wire wool, it glows red.

Edited by bizzard

If you can keep everything disconnected for another hour then you’ll be good for those figures telling us something useful. 

As it stands, Batts 1&2 look good. Batt 4 looks probably good. Batt 3 might be ok. 

Whatever you do, do NOT reconnect the 12V tap, with or without the Vanner. It didn’t appear to be doing anything. Get a 24V-12V power supply. 

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If you can keep everything disconnected for another hour then you’ll be good for those figures telling us something useful. 

As it stands, Batts 1&2 look good. Batt 4 looks probably good. Batt 3 might be ok. 

Whatever you do, do NOT reconnect the 12V tap, with or without the Vanner. It didn’t appear to be doing anything. Get a 24V-12V power supply. 

Just read this, I did reconnect everything accept the 12 volt and vanner.

wife moaning at me lol, grandkids cant play the Xbox, I swear I’m the man of the boat, I must be weak, wife complaining it’s cold.

i will disconect again in 10 mins if this would be useful

Geez Col, how are we ever going to sort this out if you keep short-cutting the tests? 

Keep it as it is for now then but take a voltage reading of Batt4 on a regular basis. Report back please. 

And please, do not ever reconnect the 12V. Not unless you want to buy two more batteries every week. 

Keep going and keep checking batt 4.

13.4V is looking much better than it was this morning. What we’re hoping for is eventually more parity between 3 & 4. You don’t need to check 1 & 2 for now. 

Here we are another day, maybe the last reading. 11am

i think the readings may be good news?

but wait for feed back.

it seems all my problems were having a 12v feed to a battery bank.

even with the vanner it didn’t seem to like it

i will opt for a 24v to 12v thingamajig

but will wait till you guys says so

col x

554FCEAE-FD7F-4717-9AAF-985111A8D7E8.jpeg

I am still wonder how battery 4 can have such a high reading hours after it was taken off charge and it seems even with some load taken. I suspect that whatever type of battery it is that it has lost a fair amount of liquid from the electrolyte so the acid is now stronger giving a more viperous reaction. If I am correct then the battery is probably still serviceable for now but possibly with reduced capacity and with increased plate erosion. Lets hope it lasts a fair amount of time if they are sealed batteries (I think Col said they were AGMs.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am still wonder how battery 4 can have such a high reading hours after it was taken off charge

They’re not off charge. Col put them back on last night. Batt 3 is pulling a lot and that’s why batt 4 is so high. It’ll be interesting to see if batt 3 recovers. That’s why I suggested Col shouldd keep measuring 3 & 4 (or just 4). If batt 3 collapses completely he’ll have batt 4 gassing like a mad thing. 

4 hours ago, bigcol said:

i will opt for a 24v to 12v thingamajig

but will wait till you guys says so

Yes, do it. :)

Hi all

taken more readings, as per photo

i will not be using the vanner equaliser any more,and will be placing it on eBay.

as soon as the voltage dropper I will be installing it.

many thanks

col

0826E1C5-1114-4849-A297-9B238AF31679.jpeg

3 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Hi all

taken more readings, as per photo

i will not be using the vanner equaliser any more,and will be placing it on eBay.

as soon as the voltage dropper I will be installing it.

many thanks

col

0826E1C5-1114-4849-A297-9B238AF31679.jpeg

It still seems (to me) to be very unbalanced - particularly the 2v difference between #3 & #4

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It still seems (to me) to be very unbalanced - particularly the 2v difference between #3 & #4

It is, but batt 3 was seriously abused. 

Col, do you have access to a 12V charger? If so, stick it across batt 3. You don’t need to disconnect anything, just try to get batt 3 up a bit.