Copper piping turned silver

bigcol

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Yes - 4 or 5 people have suggested it.

I linked to several different styles / option / qualities a couple of pages ago. (Post #193)

That's all you need - simple and effective and will not bugger up the batteries.

I think you will need to build a new battery bank first as the figures given above still show there are problems with batteries 3&4

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Happy 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pyle-PSWNV240-24v-to-12v-Step-down-Voltage-Convertor-Converter-Dropper/232976169293?epid=8009477726&hash=item363e76394d:g:-WAAAOSw0Rlbzj~m

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think I'll give up posting in this thread - I must be on 'ignore' or something.

I think I'll give up posting in this thread - I must be on 'ignore' or something.

Y

Lol you are certainly not being ignored  I’m here!!!!

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Okay soon I be going down and take more readings

then I will disconect the charger and isolate  the charger

im Thinking of buying one of the above 24v to 12v thingys

Vanner 60 10b new only been used 3 days

offers??

4838D63F-A5CF-4F97-96A8-994F5E589357.png

23 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Lol you are certainly not being ignored  I’m here!!!!

Thank you - I just wondered why you kept posting random ebay links (with no text to explain why or ask a question) when there have already been several suggestions for suitable units.

You are obviously free to choose and buy whichever you want.

Personally I would go for either the Victron or the Durite options - but for the sake of £5 maybe the Chinese one  'just to try it' (but monitor it carefully - the heat generated has to go somewhere)

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thank you - I just wondered why you kept posting random ebay links (with no text to explain why or ask a question) when there have already been several suggestions for suitable units.

You are obviously free to choose and buy whichever you want.

Personally I would go for either the Victron or the Durite options - but for the sake of £5 maybe the Chinese one  'just to try it' (but monitor it carefully - the heat generated has to go somewhere)

I am so grateful, it’s because I want things to be 100% right,

re the one, two battery’s letting the gas out,

getting the vanner installed to correct the 12v 24v charging problem

and trying to sort out battery bank

yes im getting confused with the battery’s, ive now numbered them,

can’t beleive how the voltages are different every time I go down in the engine bilge!!

knowing this equalzation is so expensive thinking I fit it must be a good thing?

then you bring up a little converter that could do the same jobs re our 12v supply!!

didnt expect the battery venting the gasses, would be so confusing to fix.

Col. And a Thankyou to you Alan, Tony and everyone that has spent your time trying to get this right.

i just hope this post will be helpfull to many people.

and the main question the Vanner equalisation unit, with all what is does, why would people use and buy this??

Edited by bigcol
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, bigcol said:

the main question the Vanner equalisation unit, with all what is does, why would people use and buy this??

I would suggest that not many folk do. It’s expensive for what it is supposed to achieve and it doesn’t appear to be achieving it anyway. I guess that’s why none of us have heard of it before. 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

the figures given above still show there are problems with batteries 3&4

Alan, Col still had the 12V tap and (apparently non-functioning) Vanner attached overnight. Hence my suggestion to leave everything charging without the Vanner or tap connected for an hour or so to see if batts 3&4 would even out. 

3 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Readings now carried out 10.30 am

now the battery bank and charger has been disconected

F36D2700-452E-474E-BAB2-4127DE7654E9.jpeg

Okay, not great, but disconnect everything so that all 4 batteries are just sitting isolated. Then give us a reading in an hour and a half or so. 

Edited by WotEver

Okay

these reading were taken at 11.40 am, this is with the battery’s isolated, 12v leads disconected and charger off.

ive now put the charger on and switch the battery’s on

but leaving the 12v cables off till I hear any diferently

col

9D85CB4F-4822-41BD-A257-9779A47FB694.jpeg

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Can you disconnect them from each other too. That’s important. 

I haven’t done this

so knowing I’ve done the above,

you advise turning everything off again ,but disconnecting all battery joining leads?

with the battery’s isolated and charger off

col

1 minute ago, bigcol said:

Okay

these reading were taken at 11.40 am, this is with the battery’s isolated, 12v leads disconected and charger off.

ive now put the charger on and switch the battery’s on

but leaving the 12v cables off till I hear any diferently

col

Col you may have to go thru all of this again - quickly turn everything off and do as Tony asks in post 241

4 minutes ago, bigcol said:

knowing I’ve done the above,

you advise turning everything off again ,but disconnecting all battery joining leads?

with the battery’s isolated and charger off

Yes. I know it’s a faff, but it’s the only way we’ll know the condition of the batteries. Putting them back on the charger is simply confusing matters and possibly exacerbating any damage. 

Those readings still make no sense and I would say  are impossible - has the battery in the meter been changed for a new one? Has the meter been checked against another? We might all be chasing out tails here if the meter is playing up.

Edited to add: I used to get well over 13 volts from a battery with two faulty cells in it when it came off charge but within 15 minutes it was well below 12V so I simply cant see how the 11.40 readings for batteries 2 and 4 can be correct.

Edited by Tony Brooks

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Col you may have to go thru all of this again - quickly turn everything off and do as Tony asks in post 241

Okay battery’s are now disconected from each other, cables 12v vanner and charger disconect so all 4 battery’s areon their own

So leave alone for another hour?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Okay battery’s are now disconected from each other, cables 12v vanner and charger disconect so all 4 battery’s areon their own

So leave alone for another hour?

Do not switch on, re-connect or do anything else except take the readings.

Then leave everything as it is until the readings have been reviewed and the nest step suggested.