Copper piping turned silver

bigcol

Featured Posts

If you are re doing things then it's best to have all battery leads the same length, mine branch out from brass + & - terminal blocks, so the current going to and from all the batteries is equal. 

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

If you are re doing things then it's best to have all battery leads the same length, mine branch out from brass + & - terminal blocks, so the current going to and from all the batteries is equal. 

Jim, you really don’t know Col, do you...? ;)

Lol  ? ? ? ? ? that’s unfair, instead of jumping in, I do read, and I do ask the forum for advice.

i like the job to be done correctly, i keep asking questions, I’m on the forum because I want it right and safe.

And I’ve had qualified people work on boats in the past, who hasn’t done a proper professional job.

yes I haven’t got a lot of confidence in my self, and I do keep asking. I want to get it right.

in the past I’ve had worked checked, and has been approved.

if by asking the forum I’m upsetting folks let me know, and I won’t ask no more.

i just like to add, the wiring was done correctly, it was my mistake getting the sketch wrong.

yes I made a mistake on the 12v but with the forums knowledge I will get it fixed.

everything I do I want it right.

col

• Greenie 4

2 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Lol  ? ? ? ? ? that’s unfair, instead of jumping in, I do read, and I do ask the forum for advice.

i like the job to be done correctly, i keep asking questions, I’m on the forum because I want it right and safe.

And I’ve had qualified people work on boats in the past, who hasn’t done a proper professional job.

yes I haven’t got a lot of confidence in my self, and I do keep asking. I want to get it right.

in the past I’ve had worked checked, and has been approved.

if by asking the forum I’m upsetting folks let me know, and I won’t ask no more.

i just like to add, the wiring was done correctly, it was my mistake getting the sketch wrong.

yes I made a mistake on the 12v but with the forums knowledge I will get it fixed.

everything I do I want it right.

col

You never did say if your CO alarm went off with your battery problems

Do I understand that your Eberspacher is 12V?

That would be enough to wreck the battery, they draw lots of current when igniting.

You definitely need that Vanner equaliser connected. Its odd that with such a tidy electrical panel that the boat builder made such a serious error in tapping the 12V off one battery.

Glad you sussed the wiring diagram, I began to think it was just me when no one took any notice. Didn't want you getting huge sparks when you fitted new batteries.

Don't get upset, there re folk on here who think it clever to get a rise out of people, I've got loads of them on IGNORE.

Eberspacher is 24v

The only 12v stuff on boat is radio, fan 12v socket and voltage display and 2 x 24v bed lights

everything else is 24v

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You never did say if your CO alarm went off with your battery problems

Thanks for asking No alarms went off, but am getting one for the bilge

2 hours ago, bigcol said:

No probs at all Col, always ready to help, as you well know. The sketch thing wasn’t a problem, the only person bothered about it was Sam :)

1 hour ago, bigcol said:

Eberspacher is 24v

The only 12v stuff on boat is radio, fan 12v socket and voltage display and 2 x 24v bed lights

everything else is 24v

Yup, you have told us that before :)

I reckon the fan would have been the heaviest draw but no worries, the Vanner will look after it. 

Did my PM make sense?

Yep I’m going to fit this afternoon, got the cable and terminals to fit the vanner.

Tony I've pmed you.

and Brian yes the radio is on most of the time, wish I got a 24v one now

but will be fitting this equaliser this afternoon.

still leaves me with the fan and 12v socks and display

as blizzard says better get these electric eels fed

col

image.jpg

Edited by bigcol

Vanner equaliser all fitted today

all battery’s are back in the bank

all battery’s are and have been monitored today

must be working as 12volt socket is showing 13.1 volts which means that the battery’s must be being equalised as if by magic

will monitor tomorrow but yes looks all good

many thanks for your help advice etc..

image.jpg

• Happy 1

37 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Vanner equaliser all fitted today

all battery’s are back in the bank

all battery’s are and have been monitored today

must be working as 12volt socket is showing 13.1 volts which means that the battery’s must be being equalised as if by magic

will monitor tomorrow but yes looks all good

many thanks for your help advice etc..

When you say all batteries back, does that include the duff ones? It will be interesting to see your battery voltages when you switch the Vanner

7 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

That Vanner is a clever bit of equipment if it equalises the batteries, never seen one before.

Let us know how you get on with it please.

Okay vanner fitted yesterday

all 4 battery’s reconected

the vanner unit has nothing on it to say it’s working or anything,not ever a on light lol

so took voltage meter reading this morning.

bat 1  with 12v wires connected and 12v cable from vanner grnd to earth terminal 13.1v

bat 2 with 24v eberspacher connected with the 24v cable from vanner 12.10

bat 3 13v

Bat 4 13v

Ps seriousley isn’t the battery installation okay?? 

have been on all night, put a carbon monoxide mtr above battery’s no smells or anything.

have I got away with replacing a faulty battery??

many thanks all

72815998-C8BA-45C8-8903-829B14095C08.jpeg

2936345A-72EE-4F49-8190-EDC05AD14BEB.jpeg

B3366B52-07FF-4107-BC93-D7CC1F6588FA.jpeg

Col, those fuses for the Vanner should ideally be outside the battery box. 

59 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Ps seriousley isn’t the battery installation okay?? 

It’s fine. It’s only Sam who’s said it isn’t and as far as I can tell there is no justification for that comment. 

1 hour ago, bigcol said:

bat 1  with 12v wires connected and 12v cable from vanner grnd to earth terminal 13.1v

bat 2 with 24v eberspacher connected with the 24v cable from vanner 12.10

bat 3 13v

Bat 4 13v

That’s impossible ;)

I suspect that Batt 2 is also 13V, not the 12.1V that you’re saying. 

Add togerher 3&4 and you get 26V. Add together 1&2 and you get 25.2V. Those two sums MUST be equal as they’re connected together with big fat cables. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Col, those fuses for the Vanner should ideally be outside the battery box. 

It’s fine. It’s only Sam who’s said it isn’t and as far as I can tell there is no justification for that comment. 

Sam and myself, it was do to a mistake that Col made with his drawing getting + & - round the wrong way which Col is aware of. 

My only comment on how they are connected now and I know nothing about this bit of kit he has added is that someone said there should be a link  between the center points of the two series batteries but I don't know if that is required.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

someone said there should be a link  between the center points of the two series batteries but I don't know if that is required.

It was me that said that and it was more of a question than a statement.

Now that I’ve seen that the Vanner is only a low current device (as you can see from the weedy cables which are the biggest that Col could fit into the terminals) it would seem that it is really little more than a 12V psu sitting across the battery. Therefore I doubt that there’s any value in linking the two banks at 12V. I’m open to suggestions as to why it might be a good idea though. 

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It was me that said that and it was more of a question than a statement.

Now that I’ve seen that the Vanner is only a low current device (as you can see from the weedy cables which are the biggest that Col could fit into the terminals) it would seem that it is really little more than a 12V psu sitting across the battery. Therefore I doubt that there’s any value in linking the two banks at 12V. I’m open to suggestions as to why it might be a good idea though. 

If you dont link the centers why cant you end up with these voltages

Vanna.jpg

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you dont link the centers why cant you end up with these voltages

Vanna.jpg

You can. But unless there was a fault with the third battery in your diagram it can’t happen. I don’t believe that Vanner has the power to do much about it either. 

A 12V battery is 6 cells in series but you don’t monitor the midpoint 3V part. A 24V bank of two batts in series is no different. 

Having just done a bit of research, it appears from Victron’s advice that you should only link the midpoint if you use busbars, thereby keeping all loads on the the batteries identical. 

16 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You can. But unless there was a fault with the third battery in your diagram it can’t happen. I don’t believe that Vanner has the power to do much about it either. 

A 12V battery is 6 cells in series but you don’t monitor the midpoint 3V part. A 24V bank of two batts in series is no different. 

Having just done a bit of research, it appears from Victron’s advice that you should only link the midpoint if you use busbars, thereby keeping all loads on the the batteries identical. 

But 2 batteries in series you dont normally monitor the midpoint but you normally only charge and discharge from the ends.   Col has suffered from unequal battery voltages  probably

due to taking a load part way down the chain   

23 minutes ago, bizzard said:

If those wing nuts on the terminals are just finger tight I'd nip em up a bit more with pliers.

That is what they supply, I used proper nuts

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Col has suffered from unequal battery voltages  probably

due to taking a load part way down the chain   

Absolutely. And that’s what the Vanner addresses.