Electrical part identification

Featured Posts

Morning all,

So whilst looking to resolve the usual leccy issues, I noticed a small cylindrical thingamy-bob inline between an Isolator for the inverter input supply and the domestic battery Isolator. It also has a couple of wires running from it with (what appears to be) a 5 amp fuse. Have never noticed anything like this part before on teh various boats I've had over the years. Was nigh on impossible to get a clean view but pics below...

Any ideas?

Edited to say "starter battery" isolator, not domestic although there is a third domestic isolator out of shot. And now wondering if it's a relay of some sort.

isolator part_2.JPG

isolator part_3.JPG

isolator part_1.JPG

Edited by Markinaboat
error

13 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Looks like the induction charger for your ecofan.

Sigh

2 minutes ago, stegra said:

My guess is that it's a large relay triggered by a small voltage-sensing split-charge relay. Trace the smaller cables back and one of them might go to the smaller relay. 

Split charge system seems as good an explanation as any for a large relay in that location. 

Daniel

18 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Not overly clear which part your interested in, however is it prehaps a largeish relay? To heavy gauge cables, and a smaller wire or two to energise.

Daniel

That would also be my guess, but for what for. It could be a split charge contactor or a remote battery isolator contactor. You would need to trace the cables to find out how its wired and then deduce what it is for.

Thanks for the quick input everyone!

I'll have to remove bits and bobs to get a better trace on it. If it was linking/splitting the connection between the domestic and engine only and not between the inverter input and engine batt, then it would make more sense. The fuse cold just be a later addition for a power take-off.

It's definitely no the Ecofan as I have the latest bluetooth version!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Thanks for the quick input everyone!

I'll have to remove bits and bobs to get a better trace on it. If it was linking/splitting the connection between the domestic and engine only and not between the inverter input and engine batt, then it would make more sense. The fuse cold just be a later addition for a power take-off.

Could it be that it's a relay that only allows the inverter to run when the engine is running? 

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

You should hear it clicking or clunking when you switch things on or off. If you disconnect a big red cable from it, you could probably find out then by what doesn't work.

If I can't find out by tracing, then that would indicate of the starter batt was getting a charge or not.

3 minutes ago, stegra said:

Could it be that it's a relay that only allows the inverter to run when the engine is running? 

Good point but the inverter does run without the engine running.