Chop saws for DIY uses

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

What is the best make and model of chop saw ? Of course one might say how long is a piece of string, so it’s all about compromises between cost and practicality. The saw will be used for jobs such as cutting oak skirting, pine studding, floor boards, as well as fine work such as picture frame cutting.

What experiences do fellow members have please.

Saw must

cut more than 150mm wide

be 240v

do accurate mitres

be long lasting

good spares availability 

Many thanks in advance

I've had the most basic Screxfix chop saw for many years and it's probably my most used power tool.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a sliding one for buigger cuts, such as this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb720msw-255mm-single-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-220-240v/8023r

In my opinion, you want a lightweight one so it's easy to move around, especially in a confined space.

I use the DeWalt sliding mitre saw.  It ticks all the boxes you mention. It aint cheap, but its rock solid and dead accurate. I wouldn't change it for anything else where consistent accuracy is demanded.  The only thing I would consider is the Evolution Rage saws, but only because they can cut metal as well using the same blade. But I very much doubt it would get anywhere near the accuracy of the DeWalts.  Both ranges available from Screwfix etc.

I can't add much but and interested in the outcome. Certainly I've seen and used DeWalt and Bosch Pro offerings which both appear fine although I can't comment on detail, and the Rage saws get a lot of mention online. 

Daniel

1 hour ago, Rebotco said:

I use the DeWalt sliding mitre saw.  It ticks all the boxes you mention. It aint cheap, but its rock solid and dead accurate. I wouldn't change it for anything else where consistent accuracy is demanded.  The only thing I would consider is the Evolution Rage saws, but only because they can cut metal as well using the same blade. But I very much doubt it would get anywhere near the accuracy of the DeWalts.  Both ranges available from Screwfix etc.

When my last sliding mitre Saw was broken by a clumsy ‘mate’ I replaced it with a Rage saw. Dead accurate once I’d tuned it but it’s heavy to move around. I’m very pleased with it, having cut wood, plastic, upvc and aluminium. Not had a need to try it on steel yet. It’s solid on the sliding bars, so repeatability is good. 

22 minutes ago, WotEver said:

When my last sliding mitre Saw was broken by a clumsy ‘mate’ I replaced it with a Rage saw. Dead accurate once I’d tuned it but it’s heavy to move around. I’m very pleased with it, having cut wood, plastic, upvc and aluminium. Not had a need to try it on steel yet. It’s solid on the sliding bars, so repeatability is good. 

I have been looking at these online, and the only problem I have noticed so far seems to be that I think they use a blade with an unusual central hole size? Some reviews mention this, and poor table quality, and it is for perfectly square and/or repeatable angles that it is going to be used.

Looking at saws online and the Bosch GCM 800 SJ is tempting me.

Edited by Stilllearning

2 hours ago, Rebotco said:

I have an Evolution Rage and it's not accurate. It has stick on gauges and the bed can move but it does cut quite thick metal which is why I bought it. Oh yeah it's cheap as well. BUT if you want accuracy then pay the money and buy a DeWalt or a Makita.

I’ve not yet had to replace the blade but when I do it’ll be with the same Rage blade so an odd size is irrelevant to me. The table on mine is perfectly flat, but that’s a sample of one of course. 

As as I said above it required a little tuning out of the box (but not much) and repeatability is fine. As with any sliding mitre saw, all cuts are within less than a degree but if you want better than that you’ll either finish them off on a disc sander or cut them on a table saw with an accurate sled. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

I’ve not yet had to replace the blade but when I do it’ll be with the same Rage blade so an odd size is irrelevant to me. The table on mine is perfectly flat, but that’s a sample of one of course. 

As as I said above it required a little tuning out of the box (but not much) and repeatability is fine. As with any sliding mitre saw, all cuts are within less than a degree but if you want better than that you’ll either finish them off on a disc sander or cut them on a table saw with an accurate sled. 

Which model of Evolution do you have?

Just now, pete.i said:

the bed can move 

Really?  Mine is rock solid. I wonder if the different ranges of Rage differ in build quality?  Mine is the £300 job, not the cheap ‘n cheerful £99 one.

Reviews seem to agree with me: https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-rage-3db-255mm-double-bevel-sliding-compound-mitre-saw-230v/29848

3 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Which model of Evolution do you have?

See above. But do note my earlier comment that it’s heavy. 

18.5kg - and a clumsy shape to carry. 

52 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

I guess the question is what does the OP want to use the saw for?

4 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

The saw will be used for jobs such as cutting oak skirting, pine studding, floor boards, as well as fine work such as picture frame cutting.

I used to have a Challenge extreme chop saw, but after working at the Isle Of Wight can't find it anywhere. I accidently left the passenger window open, so suspect someone reached in through the passenger window and unlocked the rear door and took it off the back seat from under the dust sheets! 

I didn't use it a lot but it did the job really well as used it on several house renovations. Could cut boards over 300mm wide. I wouldn't buy expensive tools as may get stolen. It cost just over £100 10-15 years ago from Argos from memory.

James

When I fitted the extension in Parglena in 2006 I bought similar to this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-r210sms-210mm-single-bevel-sliding-compound-mitre-saw-230v/2965v

Or it may have been this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-r255sms-255mm-single-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-220-240v/1062x

Its still going, cuts just about anything I ask of it as accurately as I need.

I made the mistake of buying a large proline saw which was B&Q's own brand. Accuracy was awful but it is really good at cutting up logs. Parts availability is nil and spare blades are hard to come by due to the odd centre hole diameter. I ended up getting a friend to make some inserts for me. 

For my DIY I have a smaller Bosch PCM 8 which does what I need accurately enough.

Got a JCB SCMS210 from B&Q, cracking bit of kit. 

https://www.diy.com/departments/jcb-1400w-240v-210mm-sliding-compound-mitre-saw-scms210/1267518_BQ.prd

Used a friend's Dewalt last summer, what I really liked was the runner bars were inboard which allowed it to be used close up against a wall. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

I made the mistake of buying a large proline saw which was B&Q's own brand. Accuracy was awful but it is really good at cutting up logs. Parts availability is nil and spare blades are hard to come by due to the odd centre hole diameter. I ended up getting a friend to make some inserts for me. 

For my DIY I have a smaller Bosch PCM 8 which does what I need accurately enough.

The Bosch PCM 8s looks to be closer to what I need

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

Plenty to chose from.  Make sure you buy one with a laser marker. 

I've got a cheapish one from Screwfix.  Performs well.

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

Got a JCB SCMS210 from B&Q, cracking bit of kit. 

https://www.diy.com/departments/jcb-1400w-240v-210mm-sliding-compound-mitre-saw-scms210/1267518_BQ.prd

Used a friend's Dewalt last summer, what I really liked was the runner bars were inboard which allowed it to be used close up against a wall. 

We are looking at Dewalts as they have a good reputation, and their lighting system seems to be considered more effective and foolproof than a laser marker.

The DWS773 is top of the possibles at the moment. €229 from Screwfix

37 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

The DWS773 is top of the possibles at the moment. €229 from Screwfix

And only 12kg. That makes a big difference if you have to move it around. Mine’s a pain in that respect. 

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

I was lucky enough to buy a Milwaukee M18FMS254-0 18V Li-Ion Fuel Mitre Saw 254mm off EBay when fitting out my sailaway. Fantastic tool. Did everything I needed it to do. New there are not cheap but a great piece of mobile kit.

We looked at those, as well as a lot of other makes/models in both home and professional ranges. In the end, about 10 minutes ago, we have ordered a Bosch PCM8S. There seemed no need to spend quite a lot more for a professional model, it will only be used intermittently and has the features we wanted. We already have a lot of Bosch kit, as well as some Ryobi, so feel comfortable with the choice.