Locker suggestions please

PeterCr

Featured Posts

We have a semitrad with the usual lockers either side of the cockpit. In one of those lockers I have nappy pins, windlasses, stakes, hammer etc etc. They all sit on the bottom and usually to get one out I have to drag it out from under the others, which is annoying.

It also means that most of the space in the locker isn't used well, with only about the bottom 10% utilised.

I have thought of getting a piece of timber and putting some hooks on it for hanging these implements and sticking it on the side of the locker. That way the space is used better and I don't have to drag everything out from the bottom.

However I thought with the accumulated experience here someone is likely to have a better idea.

All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks

Why not put a piece of wood in as you suggest but drill holes in appropriate places in the wood to slot your nappy pins, windlasses, stakes, hammers etc straight into the wood. That way you will keep them away from each other and they won't rattle as they hang there.

I think we all have lockers that are poorly used - my usage tends to be based on "racking/hanging" pins etc and then using strong plastic storage boxes to ensure you can stack them to maximise space and get at things easily by lifting them out - not too big though so they are easy to lift and work with 12"*18"*6" 'ish

Those magnetic hooks/eyes we find are brilliant. They're easy to move/re-position and they don't require any drilling. We've got a heavy duty one on the stern (80k pull weight) which our GS dog has his lead clipped too (stops any panic should he see a cat). There are lighter ones on the roof which presently holds strings of solar LED lights in place. We've utilised quite a few of them.

We used buckets in our lockers.  Some round ones and some 'square' (mop) ones.

Engine, engineers/electrical in one locker.  Deck and dock gear in the other side.

as we are abit OCD we also mde sure we had red buckets for the port side and green for starboard.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Grebe said:

Engine, engineers/electrical in one locker.  Deck and dock gear in the other side.

as we are abit OCD we also mde sure we had red buckets for the port side and green for starboard.

Amber for the middle one at the front?

2 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Amber for the middle one at the front?

white?

Bloke I used to work with used buckets for everything, then depending which hobby/job he was doing he picked up the bucket contacting the appropriate tools. 

................Dave

20 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Those magnetic hooks/eyes we find are brilliant. They're easy to move/re-position and they don't require any drilling. We've got a heavy duty one on the stern (80k pull weight) which our GS dog has his lead clipped too (stops any panic should he see a cat). There are lighter ones on the roof which presently holds strings of solar LED lights in place. We've utilised quite a few of them.

Now I like the idea of the magnetic hooks, I hadn't thought of that. Off to eBay to do a little searching for magnetic hooks. Where did you get yours?

I love the red and green thing. But buckets isn't a bad idea either, I might in fact be able to use buckets in the extra space I find by using the hooks along the side.

The idea is taking shape, thanks all.

Edit: Found the magnetic hooks already, an inexpensive and useful suggestion, thanks, got some on order now.

Edited by PeterCr
  • Greenie 1

My semi-trad right-hand locker contains two 13kg propane bottles.  A far more sensible place to keep the gas than in the bow locker (which we use for coal with a door into the well deck).

We lined our stern locker with play and fixed coat hooks on one side  and a rack with holes in it on the other. The hooks are used for those useful lengths of rope etc, the rack for mooring pins, lump hammer and nappy pins. We have ropes permanently spliced on the our nappy pins - we are less likely to leave them behind if we moor using them. We also use chains for mooring to piling. The bottom of the locker is where the Marine 16 and assorted cans of paint lives.

The locker size is usualy equal to about two slabs of beer cans. Put the cans in the bottom and this will raise the nappy pins up somewhat so easy to reach. Also easy to push them to one side to get to the beer whilst cruising.

24 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Not my boat but a couple of pictures I found on the net.

Might fit in a locker?

10177871_10152097223867636_6563489526103916511_n.jpg

I don't think I could ever live with anyone that organized!!

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

We had two bin type lockers aft , but both were fitted with a false floor located about 150mm from the top. The floor was supported by a leg in each corner like a table.

Above we stored the working set of windlass's, mooring pins and chains, and a couple of large fenders. Below were the extra mooring lines for springs, gumboots, spare mooring hardware and winlasses, and extra fenders, including the pipe fenders kept for  deployment at base plate level for the shroppie shelf only. 

12 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I don't think I could ever live with anyone that organized!!

Would break his heart if he lost a windlass and had to buy a different one. Pretty though, woman's boat you think?

Can't see an anti vandal handcuff key? 

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Would break his heart if he lost a windlass and had to buy a different one. Pretty though, woman's boat you think?

Can't see an anti vandal handcuff key? 

They don't visit the Calder and Hebble either....