Springer engine identification.

Featured Posts

Recently we bought a springer waterbug with inboard diesel and wondered what engine it is? Where can I get oil/fuel filters for it and what type? How much oil does it take and grade? Want to change oil in the next month or two.

Is it a reliable engine, anything needing attention? Sounds 2 cylinder and had no issues in the 50 mile cruise, apart from using 1/2 a litre a day of coolant. Going to check hoses etc.  

Do you know where I can get a replacement oil dipstick as it seems the end is broken off. Any with the same engine can you photo the end of the dipstick for me and length?    

Here are a few pictures of engine. Spring, clean and paint engine bay and exterior. 

Have to say I like it. Small but well laid out.

So far fitted a 240 volt landline. SFS and fireplace where 2nd dinette would of been. Replaced ceiling. Painted all of the interior and removed top half of wardrobe. Summer repaint exterior and locker and engine bay. 

Many thanks. James.:cheers:

Springer engine 1.jpg

Springer engine 2.jpg

Stove. Sisters..jpg

springer Boat.jpg

ceiling.jpg

Edited by canals are us?

5 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

They certainly did, and still do.

Thank you, Davis. I suspect that nowadays they just stick Perkins badges on them rather than actually manufacturing them.

7 hours ago, Athy said:

DC reckons it's a 2-cylinder Perkins - I've seen 3- and 4-cylinder Perkinses but never a twin as far as I recall. Did they make any?

Doesn't look like any Perkins, I have ever seen - looks like a Japanese engine to me.

7 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

It does look like a Mitsubishi, something Vetus might have marinised? (Spellchucker tried to change that to marinaded, which I rather liked).

Happy New Year/Bonne Année

I think this is the most likely suggestion yet.

From above I think it looks to be very similar to this, which was being sold as a Mitsubishi L2E

Mitsubishi-Diesel-Engine-2-Cylinder-L2E.

The Mitsubishi L2E appears to be an engine that Vetus also marinised and sold as the Vetus M 2.06

Manuals for the Vetus M2 can be found with Google, such as here.

Not sure this one has ever been a Vetus though, as I'm struggling to see any of the usual yellow paint you might expect with a Vetus.  (Or were they not always yellow in older versions?)

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

Wonder if it came with the engine fitted from new?

Waterbugs seen 2 and both had outboards.

Certainly some had inboards, but I would have thought things like air cooled Ducati engines were more the norm.  Perhaps what was fitted depends on what era it was from?

Thanks everyone. So could be a Vetus/ Mitsubishi/ Kubota engine or a mixture of all! Were they any good? Sounds like a motorbike when revved. It also has an oil removal pump like my BETA.

The boat is supposed to be from 1991, but who knows when it was actually built.

James :cheers:

Edited by canals are us?

39 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

Thanks everyone. So could be a Vetus/ Mitsubishi/ Kubota engine or a mixture of all! Were they any good? Sounds like a motorbike when revved. It also has an oil removal pump like my BETA.

The boat is supposed to be from 1991, but who knows when it was actually built.

James :cheers:

Don't be distracted by the provenance of the oil pump - it is / was an industry 'standard'.

Much kit sold on for canal (and other boating) use has a proportion of parts that are bought in and added by the resellers.

In reality you can only rely on the "short engine" being from one source!  

1 hour ago, canals are us? said:

Thanks everyone. So could be a Vetus/ Mitsubishi/ Kubota engine or a mixture of all! Were they any good?

The reason I suggested that it was a Mitubishi (Post #4) was that we had one in our 'Millenium' Nb built 1999

Nice little engine performed flawlessly for 1000's of hours.

Never needed to buy any spares so don't know about the availability of parts.