Waste Holding Tank

Peter009

Featured Posts

Hi again everyone 

As we have decided to go with a cassette toilet we have a waste holding tank already in the bathroom that has never been used a huge steel one that we wont be using.  I am thinking of just selling it on ebay but is there anything else that it might be useful for on the boat, just thinking as it is new wondering if anyone has used these tanks for any other purpose.  Also apart from the waste toilet water everything else just goes out the side above the waterline am I correct, just making sure that I dont need another tank that I have not thought of before getting rid of it.  Also if anyone needs one let me know.  

I would think it could be used as a secondary fuel tank if you have a Webasto / Lockgate diesel stove and filled with cleaner burning Kerosene / 28 second oil.  We have this setup on ours and have always used 28 second fuel to run ours and, burning cleaner than diesel and somewhat less expensive, have not yet had to clean either.

Upsides:

a) Kerosene is cleaner burning / reduces maintenance costs

b) Kerosene is cheaper - just ordered at 46.2 p/L

Downsides :

a) The Lockgate needed re-jetting to make the scale linear.

b) It may be more difficult to find Kerosene, but we have this for home heating and I don't mind the exercise to take a Jerry can or two to the boat every now and then.

Not sure how many use this on their boats, but it seemed a good idea to me...

35 minutes ago, Nickhlx said:

I would think it could be used as a secondary fuel tank if you have a Webasto / Lockgate diesel stove and filled with cleaner burning Kerosene / 28 second oil.  We have this setup on ours and have always used 28 second fuel to run ours and, burning cleaner than diesel and somewhat less expensive, have not yet had to clean either.

Upsides:

a) Kerosene is cleaner burning / reduces maintenance costs

b) Kerosene is cheaper - just ordered at 46.2 p/L

Downsides :

a) The Lockgate needed re-jetting to make the scale linear.

b) It may be more difficult to find Kerosene, but we have this for home heating and I don't mind the exercise to take a Jerry can or two to the boat every now and then.

Not sure how many use this on their boats, but it seemed a good idea to me...

That sounds like a fantastic idea had not thought of that at all thanks for that.

Personally, I'd put human waste in it to save me the frequent tedious and unpleasant job of emptying a potty in one of those unsanitary stations, but otherwise I'd remove it and use the space created for versatile storage which is always going to be at a premium on a narrowboat. 

As it hasn't been used... perhaps an additional water tank?

And yes toilet waste needs to stay onboard until you chuck/pump it out. Grey water which is your showers and sinks can go over the side in this country.

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Personally, I'd put human waste in it to save me the frequent tedious and unpleasant job of emptying a potty in one of those unsanitary stations, but otherwise I'd remove it and use the space created for versatile storage which is always going to be at a premium on a narrowboat. 

It's a widebeam.

Yeh, now I see the tank is brand new, I agree with Sea Dog. I'd put human waste in it. In the other thread, someone said have both pump out and cassette. Best of both worlds. You shouldnt be that pushed for space.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Stop it, you will get the boaters briefcase brigade going.  Us pumpout types need to just remain silently superior.

.............Dave

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

It's a widebeam.

Yeh, now I see the tank is brand new, I agree with Sea Dog. I'd put human waste in it. In the other thread, someone said have both pump out and cassette. Best of both worlds. You shouldnt be that pushed for space.

We kept a porta potti under the bed for many years just in case we got frozen in or other pumpout issue. We eventually gave it away to make better use of the space.

If we ever have a pump out crisis then we will buy a porta potti, I expect Amazon would deliver one by drone within a few seconds ?

...............Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

We kept a porta potti under the bed for many years just in case we got frozen in or other pumpout issue. We eventually gave it away to make better use of the space.

If we ever have a pump out crisis then we will buy a porta potti, I expect Amazon would deliver one by drone within a few seconds ?

...............Dave

Yes, ours is under our bed, never having been used (brand new). It looks like it has been there since the boat was new .....in 2002.