12v electric for wifi

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

You are getting con-fused.

Clue 2,

live and positive are fused.  The plugs will not fit in the wrong sockets though.

Removing the earth pin on the plugs for 12v and modifying the 12v socket to except a plug without a earth would be my guess (and may be block the earth on these 12v sockets, so not allowing 240v plugs to be inserted.

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

And the winner is Robbo!

The earth pin is cut off flush on the 12v plug. Plug engraved "12V" and socket labeled "12v" 

The earth socket on the 12v sockets has a dummy pin glued in which holds the shutters open.  Pos and neg wired to rh and lh sides respectively so pos is fused.

Mains sockets and plugs as manufactured with safety shutter.

Thank you for taking part. I'll don my asbestos suit whilst you all comment and rip me to pieces, but I'm happy with this arrangement and you don't have to buy my boat.

5 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Someone was asking about 12v and 19v converters. I have a converter from nominally 12v DC with switched outputs of, I think 15, 16, 18, 19,  20V from memory which came from ebay long ago. It will charge my laptop at 19V happily. I'll try to find a similar on on ebay.

Found it here    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Universal-Laptop-Car-Charger-DC-Adapter-80w/261016286840?epid=1352386718&hash=item3cc5c87678:g:iXoAAMXQeW5TX9hU:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Twas I, any idea of the efficiency of such an item

4 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Never worked it out, the box only gets slightly warm so pretty good I would say. It will be a buck/boost circuit inside + a switch etc.

I use one of those for a 19v supply, and it is certainly some form of high frequency inverter based boost circuit in use, the inverter frequency is not fixed and seems to be free running and will give a distinct squawk if it's overloaded or the supply voltage drops too low, also when run near it's limits it will run fairly warm

with this in mind I would put the somewhere around the 90% mark on efficiency

The two pin male will still plug into a 230v 13amp normal socket even without the earth pin as newer sockets no longer rely on the earth pin to move the shutters on L&N in the way older sockets did.

So as I said its not foolproof despite you insisting it was.

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

The two pin male will still plug into a 230v 13amp normal socket even without the earth pin as newer sockets no longer rely on the earth pin to move the shutters on L&N in the way older sockets did.

So as I said its not foolproof despite you insisting it was.

That won’t a BS kitemarked socket, probably some cheap chinese shit sold on eBay or amazon.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

newer sockets no longer rely on the earth pin to move the shutters on L&N in the way older sockets did.

If that’s the case then they don’t comply with BS1363 (IEC 60083 Type G) and are illegal for sale in the UK. 

It was an mk socket with no obvious tag in the earth pin, they actually require all 3 pins present rather than just the earth to open the shutters.

I have seen sockets that have shutters that are pushed aside by the L&N pins but I can't remember where or when.

31 minutes ago, Loddon said:

It was an mk socket with no obvious tag in the earth pin, they actually require all 3 pins present rather than just the earth to open the shutters.

Yes, MK started doing that a while back to stop you opening the shutters with a screwdriver (or upside-down plug) and poking the wires in the holes. 

Edited by WotEver
Added a bit

Just now, Loddon said:

I have memory of L&N shutters that were sculptured and would accept 2pins without needing the earth MK metalclad rings a bell but can find an example.

I have several MK metalclad in my shed and yes, they all have the sculpted shutters, because they require all 3 pins to operate them. 

38 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I have several MK metalclad in my shed and yes, they all have the sculpted shutters, because they require all 3 pins to operate them. 

I have memories of putting 2 pin plugs into those but cant remember how it was done hence my thoughts on the sculptured pins.

18 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I have memories of putting 2 pin plugs into those but cant remember how it was done hence my thoughts on the sculptured pins.

You can do it if you do the screwdriver or upside-down plug into the earth socket thing. Not that I’ve ever done this myself of course... cough, cough...

Edited by WotEver

22 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You can do it if you do the screwdriver or upside-down plug into the earth socket thing. Not that I’ve ever done this myself of course... cough, cough...

A market in Cambodia had 'interesting' extension leads - work with any plug in the world from UK 3-pin round, 5amp & 15 amp, 3-pin 'flat' 13 amp, to European 2 pin round, to USA 2-pin flat etc etc

But of course I'd never buy one.

CAM00396.jpg

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A market in Cambodia had 'interesting' extension leads - work with any plug in the world from UK 3-pin round, 5amp & 15 amp, 3-pin 'flat' 13 amp, to European 2 pin round, to USA 2-pin flat etc etc

But of course I'd never buy one.

CAM00396.jpg

The standard socket used in new hotels in the Philippines. I have a few at home, the better engineered ones, and they are fine. Lots of extension leads out here like that, the streets are not full of electrified bodies. These are the bee's knees compared to the rest of the wiring strewn across road or just lying in the sewer.

Electrical safety is a low priority here, sockets in shower areas for the heater, bare earth wires nailed to walls, but then again all the meters are on poles outside with twisted wire connections where they have been bypassed, the poles carry HT on top, transformers then the mains then the data/phones all leaning at crazy angles. The 240v mains is single wire with ground neutral, no earths on anything generally.

The sockets Julian was thinking of with the shaped shutters that rotate to admit the pins I have seen but only on 2 pin sockets.

I'm disappointed that you don't like my sockets, can you come up with a better solution though?

Sam.

All my portable stuff, phones / radio / tablet  / wifi are powered from USB sockets

If I wanted to have 12v Television / Fridge or other high current items they would be hardwired with a switch the same way pumps / VHF radio etc are.

I actually run 230v TV, Soundbar, fridge and Icemaker as I spend more time on the moorings with power than I do out cruising, when off the mooring in the summer  500watts of solar just about takes care of these.

So no need to use 12v sockets at all.

Edited by Loddon