12v electric for wifi

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Charles_Graham said:

Cheers Ivan, mine is the MacBook Pro 15' retina touch, fairly new.

So was aware it is a bit different, saw this link though, maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-MacBook-Spectre-Transformer-Precision/dp/B073X5NNVS

Nick,

is that 15W going to enough though, my system says it needs 85W...

Graham

Took a look at your link, the important bit is this:

Power Adaptor Input: DC 12-24V
    USB-C Output (DC): 20V/3A, 15V/3A, 12V/3A, 9V/3A, 5V/3A

This is a list of the profiles it supports. 20V * 3A = 60W, so this would definitely charge your laptop (assuming that the specs posted by the manufacturers of these devices are legitimate - those cables look a little thin for my liking!)

The one I have supports the following:

Input: DC 12-18V (Max)

Output: USB Type-C Power Delivery: 5V/9V/12V/15V-3A, 20V-2.25A (Max)

So you can see its maximum output of 20V * 2.25A = 45W.

I see that the Macbook can accept an 87 W charger. So neither of these would charge your laptop as fast as a 230V mains charger, but they both should charge it.

The one posted by @Robbo is a whopping 90W, the highest I've ever seen on a USB C charger. That does 5/9/12/15/20 max 90W, so that implies 20V/4.5A max. That theoretically would charge your laptop at maximum speed. Personally I'd almost be nervous to use that one!!

1 hour ago, ivan&alice said:

Do you usually get 4G where you are? We've fought with 3 and they changed the SIM card, saying that it could be faulty, but no real improvement so far. It could be that they don't have enough capacity in London.

I get 4G with Three regularly but I don’t spend much time around The Smoke if I can avoid it. Certainly all around The Midlands no problem with 4G. 

2 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

'll look into a inverter if and when we get a washing machine. That and the hairdryer are the only things that I can currently think of as stuff we'd want to power with 230V.

We have a 230v freezer - wouldn't be without it. 

Doesn't matter if you get iced in, doesn't matter if the bottom is too near the top and you cannot move - always plenty of meals & 'makings' available (and of course a nice Cornetto or Mivi on a hot day)

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Hmm, we're with 3 and roam the Midlands and North with little issue.  I concede we might find some if we were needing a highly reliable fast connection for work though... but I fixed that by not working :D

;)

Diana's phone was on 3 and her connection was nowhere near as good as my connection to 3 with a data sim in a Mifi.

46 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

The one posted by @Robbo is a whopping 90W, the highest I've ever seen on a USB C charger. That does 5/9/12/15/20 max 90W, so that implies 20V/4.5A max. That theoretically would charge your laptop at maximum speed. Personally I'd almost be nervous to use that one!!

The reviews for he one I posted are a bit mixed, they do say it gets hot tho.   They have other ones for the magnetic connector MacBooks as well.

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We have a 230v freezer - wouldn't be without it. 

Doesn't matter if you get iced in, doesn't matter if the bottom is too near the top and you cannot move - always plenty of meals & 'makings' available (and of course a nice Cornetto or Mivi on a hot day)

If your iced in a freezer would be kinda redundant  ?.

Edited by Robbo

11 minutes ago, Charles_Graham said:

How about mobile WiFi boxes, Im with 3, so was thinking of getting this one..

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

any other recommendations/problems with other networks...

I've got Three HomeFi on the boat. The router runs off 12v so I've got an adapter and the right sized plug, and it works great. It's even got aerial sockets so you can plug in an outdoor aerial if in low power reception areas.

4 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I've got Three HomeFi on the boat. The router runs off 12v so I've got an adapter and the right sized plug, and it works great. It's even got aerial sockets so you can plug in an outdoor aerial if in low power reception areas.

cheers, will buy it so.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Diana's phone was on 3 and her connection was nowhere near as good as my connection to 3 with a data sim in a Mifi.

Ditto to this, when I was in London I had to rely on a 3 dongle, not the 3 phone for tethering as the phone was next to Vodaphone? style service in some areas - the Dongle necer struggled.

1 hour ago, Charles_Graham said:

How about mobile WiFi boxes, Im with 3, so was thinking of getting this one..

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

any other recommendations/problems with other networks...

I almost bought that one 18 months ago and thought...naaaaaaa, will never use more than 40Gb (the contract for my dongle) sure enough, a day or two before the month is up, we run out.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Ditto to this, when I was in London I had to rely on a 3 dongle, not the 3 phone for tethering as the phone was next to Vodaphone? style service in some areas - the Dongle necer struggled.

I almost bought that one 18 months ago and thought...naaaaaaa, will never use more than 40Gb (the contract for my dongle) sure enough, a day or two before the month is up, we run out.

I’ve never used 100Gb, but I can watch videos and all kinds of stuff, with gay abandon, and don’t worry at all about reaching or exceeding the limit.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

So Boater Sam are you going to share the 13amp/plug socket modification with us all?

I am genuinely interested as to how you have done it.

When I was working we used to fitvthese non-standard 13 amp sockets to UPS backed sockets, to stop Mrs Mopp plugging her vacuum cleaner in to the UPS backed sockets.

https://www.flameport.com/electric_museum/plugs_13A_non_standard/index.cs4

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

When I was working we used to fitvthese non-standard 13 amp sockets to UPS backed sockets, to stop Mrs Mopp plugging her vacuum cleaner in to the UPS backed sockets.

https://www.flameport.com/electric_museum/plugs_13A_non_standard/index.cs4

I've seen those and the ones with the L&N pins turned through 90degrees, however Boater Sam said he had modified a standard 13amp and I am interested to know what he did.

42 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I've seen those and the ones with the L&N pins turned through 90degrees, however Boater Sam said he had modified a standard 13amp and I am interested to know what he did.

But he is not going to tell you. When I moored at Napton the Mooring Warden used 13 amp standard for 12 and 240 use connecting 12 volt to neg and earth connections. Extension leads were used for anything

Its so simple but I think I will run it as a contest. Keep you all guessing for a while.

The correct answer from the least insulting contributor wins. A Greenie as the prize.

Julian (Lodden) is a long way down at the moment for his idiocy remark, must try harder and be more polite please.

Its fun opening the gates of Hades and seeing folk walk in! 

A clue, costs nothing, been perfectly satisfactory for 18 years and at a glance all the brass sockets look the same.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

19 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Remove the live pin from the plug and block up the live socket.

can't see you could do much else without destroying the socket

Oh, no, not that. 

Someone was asking about 12v and 19v converters. I have a converter from nominally 12v DC with switched outputs of, I think 15, 16, 18, 19,  20V from memory which came from ebay long ago. It will charge my laptop at 19V happily. I'll try to find a similar on on ebay.

Found it here    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Universal-Laptop-Car-Charger-DC-Adapter-80w/261016286840?epid=1352386718&hash=item3cc5c87678:g:iXoAAMXQeW5TX9hU:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

9 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Its so simple but I think I will run it as a contest. Keep you all guessing for a while.

A clue, costs nothing, been perfectly satisfactory for 18 years and at a glance all the brass sockets look the same.

Well I guess you just wire the corresponding pins - positive to positive, negative to negative. no earth.

simple as that I guess.

47 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I guess you mean :

Positive to live

Negative to Neutral

There is no 'positive & negative' in AC mains.

No, I meant have the positive line up on corresponding pins.... live or neutral. 

And yes I understand how Ac works.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder why then you suggested AC had positive and negative terminals in the socket when they are clearly marked L & N ?

Thats not what I suggested Alan,

I suggested you wire the corresponding positive wire on each end - positive to positive , negative to negative.

Which terminal you use is redundant.

A bit like this discussion.