Lancing

archie57

Featured Posts

Wow! Bude moors about half a mile from us at Cropredy. She's now a cabinned liveaboard and is in quite smart nick. I see she was working as a mobile launderette when the photo was taken.

Edited by Athy

Oops, error. It is NOT Bude but Langho, sorry - Bude came later. Its been a long Christmas. The last time I saw Langho she was on the bottom not too far from Bude (the boat that is).

Need to remember to think before I type.

Edited by fittie
Being thick!

On 30/12/2018 at 17:49, archie57 said:

Seeing the photo stirred the grey matter but some things are a bit hazy  Time frame mid 60's? was at that time the boat named Rainbow ?Bringing a half load of piles for Whaley Bridge came across it broken down some 2/3 miles "Maccy" side of stop lock with a boatload of trippers towed him back to stop lock motor in question Petter PD2 or 3 heard later it had divided it's crank into several parts but again a later hearsay Fact?

Edited by X Alan W

13 minutes ago, fittie said:

Yep, she was Rainbow for a spell. Bloody awful name but maybe apt for the 60s.

Would the motor   in  it at that time have been a PD2/3 ISTR looking in the"ole & seeing the fish frying range & was the crank breakage fact/tow path tattle? thinking back the steerer was a shortish fair haired guy with glasses ?

Edited by X Alan W

We had a PD2 in YARMOUTH. It came out of a ships lifeboat from somewhere in Norfolk, and served us admirably for the years we lived and cruised afloat with never a problem. Started easily, and stonked along very well. Then when we sold her, within a matter of months we heard the crank had broken. Some have said "yeah, they will do that", but no-one has offered a practical reason why. Some have said they can do it on start-up, others if the tickover is allowed to drop too low.

The PD3 in TYCHO was fault free until the high pressure pump drifted loose on its table which brought it to a halt. Repaired, it soldiers on. (As far as I know). Vigilance is required over the oil cooler and its unions. A leak and subsequent loss of pressure will do no good.

2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Seeing the photo stirred the grey matter but some things are a bit hazy  Time frame mid 60's? was at that time the boat named Rainbow ?Bringing a half load of piles for Whaley Bridge came across it broken down some 2/3 miles "Maccy" side of stop lock with a boatload of trippers towed him back to stop lock motor in question Petter PD2 or 3 heard later it had divided it's crank into several parts but again a later hearsay Fact?

IIRC Lancing belonged to James(Jim) Hewitt at that time. He worked for BW and was based at  the Marple section office. More recently he wrote the book "Adventures of the Nippy" , a very interesting story of the dying days of the Ashton and Peak Forest canals  in the 50's and 60's and their subsequent re-opening. I went on  a first date on Lancing in 1972 with a trip from Marple to  near Bollington.

I think Jimmy Hewitt is the figure with the white shirt standing on the back end (ie far end of engine room on RHS). it looks like his dad standing in the doorhole. I don't think it broke it's crank in his ownership. though. Steered it myself a few times while at Marple, slow going on those canals!

On 01/01/2019 at 18:49, archie57 said:

I think Jimmy Hewitt is the figure with the white shirt standing on the back end (ie far end of engine room on RHS). it looks like his dad standing in the doorhole. I don't think it broke it's crank in his ownership. though. Steered it myself a few times while at Marple, slow going on those canals!

As Said not sure if the broken crank was fact/ towpath tattl just know it was a no goer on that afternoon

We pasted Mr Hewitt while boating in 2017, I was going to say last year but a new one has come along, as we were pasting a rather nondescript boat when a voice shouts out, "That's my old boat".

I asked what he thought of it to which he replied.

"Bloody marvellous!"

Which is good to know.

On 01/01/2019 at 18:49, archie57 said:

You are spot on there ,the load I delivered to Whaley Bridge started at Drayton with 16ish tons of concrete piles after digging a trench for myself for most of the Macky. Marple side of Bosley was really bad I had to unload around half the load on to the coping by the bridge near to the top lock (not open at that time ) to be able to pass the 2 swing bridge "oles" at he start of the stretch to WB had to return & load in the rest & deliver in 2 goes stuck for 3days at Fools Nook bridge non operative & had to wait for parts on the return journey "Argh the good old days"

Edited by X Alan W