Water tank blacking

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Hi all...Happy New year

My last boat had a stainless water tank...but the boat I have just bought has a nice...easy to get to..tank built into the bow.

Open the hatch...and look down...you could just jump in.

It 'looks like' it was once blacked with standard hull blacking...?...but maybe I'm wrong. ?

It is now a little streaky...not bad rust...but needs recoating.

Do you think that it is standard hull blacking..?.   or is there something that looks like it ?

Any suggestions as to what I should use...?

Thanks...

Bob

3 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

Hi all...Happy New year

My last boat had a stainless water tank...but the boat I have just bought has a nice...easy to get to..tank built into the bow.

Open the hatch...and look down...you could just jump in.

It 'looks like' it was once blacked with standard hull blacking...?...but maybe I'm wrong. ?

It is now a little streaky...not bad rust...but needs recoating.

Do you think that it is standard hull blacking..?.   or is there something that looks like it ?

Any suggestions as to what I should use...?

Thanks...

Bob

I used to do mine with standard bitumastic. Used it on several boats and I am still alive.

30 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I used to do mine with standard bitumastic. Used it on several boats and I am still alive.

I 'thought' it looked like bitumastic.

Maybe if I do the tank with that...I'll avoid pitting on my bottom ?..     ?

1 minute ago, Bobbybass said:

? Thing is today most people are frightened to death by stuff we did for years and we cant even buy stuff anymore that does the job you want. Someone will probably come along and tell you in a minute that its major toxic but thats what we all used years ago. I used it till about 12 years ago on various boats but since then my boats have had stainless tanks not that they would have if I had bought them new, I prefer integral tanks. ?

31 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

? Thing is today most people are frightened to death by stuff we did for years and we cant even buy stuff anymore that does the job you want. Someone will probably come along and tell you in a minute that its major toxic but thats what we all used years ago. I used it till about 12 years ago on various boats but since then my boats have had stainless tanks not that they would have if I had bought them new, I prefer integral tanks. ?

As I said......my last boat had a stainless tank...so you couldn't really see into it.

I prefer this boat as you lift the hatch on the bow...and there it is. You can see how much water you have and if there is any sediment. You can also just dump the hose in the top and fill it up.

• Happy 1

If you are going to a lot of trouble on the prep, there is another more modern coating you can use (yes I know that means getting all the old bitumin off!) Tank guard dw: https://www.smlmarinepaints.co.uk/tankcoatings if you read the spec it is suitable for potable water.

I'm thinking of converting my bow locker to extra water storage and that was what I planned to use.

4 minutes ago, Johny London said:

If you are going to a lot of trouble on the prep, there is another more modern coating you can use (yes I know that means getting all the old bitumin off!) Tank guard dw: https://www.smlmarinepaints.co.uk/tankcoatings if you read the spec it is suitable for potable water.

I'm thinking of converting my bow locker to extra water storage and that was what I planned to use.

You can nearly buy a bladder tank for the same price!! Johnathon who has just bought a 70 footer has a rusty tank and is thinking of going down that route

17 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You can nearly buy a bladder tank for the same price!! Johnathon who has just bought a 70 footer has a rusty tank and is thinking of going down that route

Question, is it necesary to treat the tank befor fitting one of these? 

My concern has always been that there must be a risk of rust due to the gap between the bladder tank and the steel, much like the rust build up you get if you lay a rubber mat on the roof. 

Danger is with the bladder tank in place it would be easy to forget about the steel work behind it. 

Genuine question Am I right to have this concern? 

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Standard bitumastic paint used to be approved by the makers for water tanks. But under newer regulations it needs expensive testing and certification for use with potable water. So the manufacturers don't bother.

Bang on. My own tank is blacked using International Intertuf which is not potable now.However  I still have the (old) data sheet somewhere that says it is potable before the regs came in..

Edited by PaulJ
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PaulJ said:

Bang on. My own tank is blacked using International Intertuff which is not potable now.However  I still have the (old) data sheet somewhere that says it is potable before the regs came in..

:banghead: I cannot start to guess who implemented the  new regs!!

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

? Thing is today most people are frightened to death by stuff we did for years and we cant even buy stuff anymore that does the job you want. Someone will probably come along and tell you in a minute that its major toxic but thats what we all used years ago. ?

You could apply that logic to asbestos... but it would be unwise. ;)

I used potable bitumen. I think the first time I just used ordinary stuff. Once done, I'd leave the tank open for a week to let the smell wear off, and even then the water will taste odd for a while. I took a keg for drinking water for a few months until the tank had had a few fills. I reckon to redo mine every ten years, which means I'll never have to do it again... 

The regular use was 'Black Jack' which was odourless and tasteless. This is still available, along with other Black Bituminous Paint, which was not Bitumastic, and used to be certified for water tanks. Most manufacturers (Evo Stik was one)  dropped the recommendation when certification became mandatory under E.U. Regulation about 8-9 years ago(?).

Mine was blacked with Black Jack 2 months ago, and has no taste or smell after curing for 2 weeks.

That's the thing - the paint I suggested is damn expensive, but if using the black bitumen means you have to leave the tank for a week then drink funny tasting water, it starts to make sense - though I can't say how effective/long lasting it is. But I did think any left over product would be good in places like gas lockers etc.

The "black jack" sounds like it could be the way forward though?

On another note, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss newer tighter regs about products Things are learned over time and it's only right that we should be informed and updated accordingly.

Will be interested to see what you decide on, OP. 

20 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

Maybe if I do the tank with that...I'll avoid pitting on my bottom

I think the medical term is fissures ... ouch ?