Ceiling Cladding Advice Please

Peter009

Featured Posts

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about having cladding like the picture attached on our ceilings, does anyone know whether there is a lightweight version of this already painted white and if so what is it called and where do I get it I really like this look but have no idea where to buy the stuff sorry for my lack of knowledge never done this before 

Thanks in advance 

Peter

6810161_20180816021342469_1_XLARGE.jpg

3 minutes ago, Richard T said:

No don't use plastic panels in a boat. They burn easily and give off toxic smake. It is much better to use timber painted in what ever colour you fancy. Much harder work to prepare, install and finish but much safer.

This ^^^. Also, white painted wood is easily touched in after you clonk it with something being carried through the boat, whereas plastic or melamine faced board is scarred forever.

Cor, its a London whitewash!

Seen a few with plastic planking, some use it as shower walls too.

You could always get the fire spec for the material and then decide.

Personally, if mine ever sets afire, I will just get out ASAP, before too much plastic and soft furnishings catch.

Captains swivel chairs burn really well despite the new regulations on foam upholstery, don't ask how I know.

• Greenie 1

Various options, but personally I don't like look of plastic, so would go with routed ply. It's nice and stable, reasonably fire safe, more forgiving. 

Our boat is actual tounge and groove ash which is varnished. However on a boat you get a lot of expansion and contraction of really timber, ash being worse than most, so if your going to paint it I wouldn't advise real tounge and groove as you will forever have exposured tounge an all the issues of real wood with non of the gaina. 

Daniel

2 hours ago, Richard T said:

No don't use plastic panels in a boat. They burn easily and give off toxic smake. It is much better to use timber painted in what ever colour you fancy. Much harder work to prepare, install and finish but much safer.

I was surprised to hear this about modern ceiling cladding, so I followed the link in the earlier post which revealed the plactic panels areFire rating - Class 1 (Resistant to the spread of flames)

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Various options, but personally I don't like look of plastic, so would go with routed ply. It's nice and stable, reasonably fire safe, more forgiving. 

I agree with not liking the look of plastic, they don’t seem to reflect a nice light and look a bit cheap.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I was surprised to hear this about modern ceiling cladding, so I followed the link in the earlier post which revealed the plactic panels areFire rating - Class 1 (Resistant to the spread of flames)

PVC does not burn easily.  Class 1 on the BS476 part VII test on PVC panels says it will be ok in a boat for fire resistance. It will be better than painted wood in a fire. If exposed to strong flames it will give off HCL which is not nice and loads of thick black smoke ....but you should be out by then.

....but I'd not use PVC for the roof lining. Wood looks so much better.

My Sisters springer water bug has UPVC cladding in the toilet compartment but it does sweat when the fire is first lit especially below the water line when it has been unheated while away.

I like wood. I replaced the water stained/rotten ply ceiling with a new one and like it. Thought Pine T&Q but ply quicker and doesn't really move/shrink. I decided to paint it as walls and old ceiling already painted. Stove I installed where dinette/seating was.

James.

ceiling.jpg

Stove. Sisters..jpg

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned closed cell plastic,  available in sheets and in thickness of 2mm to 4mm as well as planks and slabs. It is shiney on one side and matt in the other.

It is warm to touch and for construction purposes can be treated just like wood.

Phil

1 minute ago, Phil Ambrose said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned closed cell plastic,  available in sheets and in thickness of 2mm to 4mm as well as planks and slabs. It is shiney on one side and matt in the other.

It is warm to touch and for construction purposes can be treated just like wood.

Phil

Hi Phil any idea where this is sold ? thanks

1 hour ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Phil

As I said above, fine until you dent it, innit?

41 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

As I said above, fine until you dent it, innit?

You dent your ceiling? Crikey!

I've replaced skirtings and architraves in many of the rooms at home. It wipes clean and stays white, the wood grain finish is pleasant and there's not a mark on it, even where one's domestic goddess has been with the hoover. If it dents when used on the ceiling, your juggling balls are far too heavy!

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Peter009 said:

Hi Phil any idea where this is sold ? thanks

I think most plastic suppliers will have it, I got mine a few years ago from am outfit called DIYplastics. It is used a lot for industrial kitchens etc, also v good for shower rooms. 

And NO it doesn't dent anymore than wood.

Phil

On 30/12/2018 at 13:28, DHutch said:

Our boat is actual tounge and groove ash which is varnished. However on a boat you get a lot of expansion and contraction of really timber, ash being worse than most, so if your going to paint it I wouldn't advise real tounge and groove as you will forever have exposured tounge an all the issues of real wood with non of the gaina. 

Daniel

Paint each length of t&g before assembling and you’ll avoid this - time consuming though worth it. 

20 hours ago, blackrose said:

Assuming you're laying the new cladding over the existing lining, is there any issue of the additional weight being too much for the battens and pulling the lining down?

I think there could be an issue if it is too heavy I am trying to source the thinnest tongue and groove I can get for the ceiling in wood but not having much luck to be honest all seem to be around 8 mm thick does anyone know where I can get say 4-5 mm thick cladding

36 minutes ago, Peter009 said:

I think there could be an issue if it is too heavy I am trying to source the thinnest tongue and groove I can get for the ceiling in wood but not having much luck to be honest all seem to be around 8 mm thick does anyone know where I can get say 4-5 mm thick cladding

If you want thin and light, it rather brings you back to plastic Peter. Why not find a local supplier and see what they have on the racks? There's no obligation to buy if it doesn't meet your needs.

• Greenie 1