We're recruiting! - Moderator Vacancy

RichM

Featured Posts

Moderator Vacancy

Canal World is looking to recruit additional moderator(s) to join our team over next few weeks to work alongside the current team to replace members who have since retired from the role.

We are looking for existing members who visit the forum regularly and are able to give something back to the community. 
The role requires good judgement, an understanding of the forum rules and guidelines and the ability to work as a team. 

Moderators will join the current site staff in front-line voluntary work after a short introductory period.

Typical tasks include:

• Maintaining the forums content and promoting healthy discussion.
  • Engaging with and assisting members with general and enquiries.
  • Moving and merging duplicated topics and posts, removing spam, etc.
  • Removing inappropriate content and exercise disciplinary action where appropriate. 
  • Escalating serious or repeat incidents to forum administrators.

We recognise that we have a user-base with a vast amount of knowledge and experience in all walks of life. As such, we're also interested to hear from users who may be interested in helping out in other areas of the site. - We're always open to ideas! :)

If you are interested and are able to contribute some of your time to help maintain our site, please contact us by clicking here. Please provide a short cover note outlining your interest for the role along with any experience, knowledge or skills you can offer.

Canal World is managed by DHutch and operated by a Team of Volunteers who kindly provide their time to help towards maintaining the site.

We are extremely grateful to those who help make Canal World what it is today for the benefit of its members and guests alike.

Thank you

RichM

As ex mods seem to have done significant damage to this forum over the last couple of years, you have to wonder if trying to recruit replacements is such a good idea. At least take a look at modifying the job description. It is somewhat open to abuse.

Edited by billS

13 minutes ago, billS said:

As ex mods seem to have done significant damage to this forum over the last couple of years, you have to wonder if trying to recruit replacements is such a good idea.

No system or individual is perfect, however moderators are an essential part to almost all online communities.

Thanks

Daniel

6 hours ago, DHutch said:

No system or individual is perfect, however moderators are an essential part to almost all online communities.

Thanks

Daniel

Recent problems seemed to stem from single mods trying to cope on their own in the late evening. It’s not a role I’d fancy any more but I suggest the senior team thinks hard about mod support systems 24/7 and the need for mods to stay stone cold sober when modding. (I’m not suggesting alcohol had anything to do with any specific incident but I’m aware that almost all my online boo-boos have happened after a drink or two.)

6 hours ago, DHutch said:

Agree

8 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Recent problems seemed to stem from single mods trying to cope on their own in the late evening. It’s not a role I’d fancy any more but I suggest the senior team thinks hard about mod support systems 24/7 and the need for mods to stay stone cold sober when modding. (I’m not suggesting alcohol had anything to do with any specific incident but I’m aware that almost all my online boo-boos have happened after a drink or two.)

Some of the forum's I've assisted with have a "Mod Switch" (possibly asking for re-entry of password) to distinguish between "1st Ade" and "1st Ade the Moderator" - Discourages (but doesn't totally prevent) over use of Mod powers.

7 hours ago, RichM said:

Moderator Vacancy

Good Luck. (and not meant in any sarcastic or ironic sense)

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Aha, well I hope no one minds if I answer this one, it seems I've been having some issues recently, not sure what is happening, but  lets hope normal service will resume as soon as possible. It's not only late night, I seem to be hyper, 24/7.

ight be the heart, might be the head [hitting against a brick wall, perhaps.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Aha, well I hope no one minds if I answer this one, it seems I've been having some issues recently, not sure what is happening, but  lets hope normal service will resume as soon as possible. It's not only late night, I seem to be hyper, 24/7.

You won’t be the only one! Christmas with its disruption of routines, exposure to excess relatives, too much sugar, too much caffeine, not enough quality sleep can really do your head in. No wonder the divorce lawyers and boat brokers do fire sale business in the New Year :angry2:.

Hope you get it together soon.

Take care of yourself ?.

• Greenie 3

28 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Sincerely hope you do get back on track and normal service resumed.

Regards, Phil 

• Greenie 4

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Hopefuly 2019 will bring you the sale of your flat that you are wanting then maybe you will be able to do what you want to do. ?

• Greenie 2

• 1 month later...
On 30/12/2018 at 00:10, billS said:

As ex mods seem to have done significant damage to this forum over the last couple of years, you have to wonder if trying to recruit replacements is such a good idea. At least take a look at modifying the job description. It is somewhat open to abuse.

The problem with recruiting moderators is that the selection systam is seriously flawed. The job description is fine but the candidate profile is completely absent, with no indication as to the personal qualities or experience being sought. The fact that the present system has produced some good moderators has been a matter of luck rather than any special consideration. As long as the present recruitment system is uninformed by any Human Resources methodology, it will continue to remain a "hit and Miss" approach.

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Human Resources methodology, 

Most people wouldn't know what that was. Could you explain, please?

Candidates have to fill in an application form and have an interview (of necessity, by telephone). Isn't that how most vacancies are filled?

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Most people wouldn't know what that was. Could you explain, please?

Candidates have to fill in an application form and have an interview (of necessity, by telephone). Isn't that how most vacancies are filled?

"Human Resources methodology"  modern speak (well not that modern actually) for "Personell Selection Proceedure"

Is that how selection of moderators is undertaken? What sort of questions are asked on the form and during the "interview"?, and who conducts the interview, are they trained in Staff selection?

Edited by David Schweizer

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

"Human Resources methodology"  modern speak (well not that modern actually) for "Personell Selection Proceedure"

Now, personel I understand - but "Human Resources"? It sounds like some sort of list of people's skills and abilities, which I suppose is, in a way, what you meant. Or perhaps like a list of their savings.

29 minutes ago, Athy said:

Now, personnel I understand - but "Human Resources"? It sounds like some sort of list of people's skills and abilities, which I suppose is, in a way, what you meant. Or perhaps like a list of their savings.

Oh Mike!! I realise that you existed in a cocooned world where staff wer selected on the basis of going to the right School, and your father being known to the employer, but the world has moved on. The term "Human Resources" has been in use for at least 25 years, and basicly replaced "Personnel"  In fact most companies now simply use the acronym HM.

Edited by Athy

I'm talking to my cat, he's not talking to me gggggggggggggggggr

PS I'm of the  Personnel generation.................

I once met the head of SMMB HR in Tesco one day,  he had no idea that my main job was training racehorses, and I just did his admin job 9 to 5 for a decent bit of pocket money........... I remember he did complain I was not answering his rather obvious Questions, ......... sheesh ................

Edited by LadyG

33 minutes ago, LadyG said:

PS I'm of the  Personnel generation.................

But totally missed the upper case 'M' 

whoosh...

Edited by Guest

36 minutes ago, Athy said:
16 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Oh Mike!! I realise that you existed in a cocooned world where staff were selected on the basis of going to the right School, and your father being known to the employer, but the world has moved on. The term "Human Resources" has been in use for at least 25 years, and basicly replaced "Personnel"  In fact most companies now simply use the acronym HM.

Tee-hee. I have never been in that sort of world, but I'll take your word for it that it exists.

Why would "HM" be an abbreviation (rather than acronym, I think) for Human Resources?

They were called "staff" in the places where I worked.

Thank you, by the way, for being kind enough not to mention my glaring spelling error - most atypical of me (I hope).

36 minutes ago, Athy said:

"Gosh, cocked up the quoting procedure good and proper, have I not?"

Edited by Athy