We're recruiting! - Moderator Vacancy

RichM

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

Burns night is the 25th of January - though I can see haggis pizza being a thing. Not my thing you understand just a thing. 

Which raises the question of what is your thing?

Oh and hope you feel better soon, been a bit bleagh myself

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Let me guess: it's burns night?

:clapping:

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Burns night is the 25th of January - though I can see haggis pizza being a thing. Not my thing you understand just a thing. 

There you go again.You can't eat haggis, she is a valued forum member.

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

The problem with recruiting moderators is that the selection systam is seriously flawed. The job description is fine but the candidate profile is completely absent, with no indication as to the personal qualities or experience being sought. The fact that the present system has produced some good moderators has been a matter of luck rather than any special consideration. As long as the present recruitment system is uninformed by any Human Resources methodology, it will continue to remain a "hit and Miss" approach.

oh really?

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Oh and hope you feel better soon, been a bit bleagh myself

Thank you, Mr Tree Monkey. And you, hope that flu you had doesn't drag on too long. 

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Which raises the question of what is your thing?

Any thing that doesn't involve me eating haggis :D

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

There you go again.You can't eat haggis, she is a valued forum member.

? Sorry

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

It dragged for almost 4 weeks, now back at work which I suppose is a good thing :)

It can leave you getting tired quicker than usual for quite a long time after you think you've got better which is rather annoying, but yes getting back to normal is no bad thing. 

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Having absented myself from the forum for a couple of months or so because of maderation  (sorry genuine typographical error but it seems appropriate) I would like to make a few observations.

First.   Moderators do a thankless difficult job and need respected for doing it.

Second.   Moderators are necessary.  Over the last weeks I have spent a lot of time reading another unmoderated forum.  Despite their proud statements that self moderation works I am afraid it didn't as far as I was concerned.  Many threads were liberally sprinkled with "anglo saxon".  Fair enough the perpetrators were pulled up by others.  Result they promise to mend their ways only to revert to "anglo saxon" before long.  If you want a forum which can be read by anyone from a child to the most prudish maiden aunt moderation is necessary.

Third.  Probably most important is the moderation protocols need heavily revised/rewritten.  For example, for me locking a thread because of the behaviour of one or two is unnecessary and archaic.   There needs to be a system which draws to the attention of the culprit(s) the error of their ways.  Follow this by progressively stronger sanctions.

For example a simple "play nicely"/yellow card type post in a thread is generally enough.  If that fails a personal message issuing a warning.  If X warnings are issued in a month then a ban of Y days.  More than N bans in 12 months = permanent ban.   The system needs to be clear and understood both by contributors and mods.  This would avoid the rather daft (IMO) locked threads while mods discuss.

Finally I would never apply for the job of being a mod for two reasons.  The first is I don't think I am suitable, the second after my last job promotion as I approached retirement I promised myself I would never apply for another job.

I may be wrong but I have a fair idea of which forum you speak! 

8 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Having absented myself from the forum for a couple of months or so because of maderation  (sorry genuine typographical error but it seems appropriate) I would like to make a few observations.

First.   Moderators do a thankless difficult job and need respected for doing it.

Second.   Moderators are necessary.  Over the last weeks I have spent a lot of time reading another unmoderated forum.  Despite their proud statements that self moderation works I am afraid it didn't as far as I was concerned.  Many threads were liberally sprinkled with "anglo saxon".  Fair enough the perpetrators were pulled up by others.  Result they promise to mend their ways only to revert to "anglo saxon" before long.  If you want a forum which can be read by anyone from a child to the most prudish maiden aunt moderation is necessary.

Third.  Probably most important is the moderation protocols need heavily revised/rewritten.  For example, for me locking a thread because of the behaviour of one or two is unnecessary and archaic.   There needs to be a system which draws to the attention of the culprit(s) the error of their ways.  Follow this by progressively stronger sanctions.

For example a simple "play nicely"/yellow card type post in a thread is generally enough.  If that fails a personal message issuing a warning.  If X warnings are issued in a month then a ban of Y days.  More than N bans in 12 months = permanent ban.   The system needs to be clear and understood both by contributors and mods.  This would avoid the rather daft (IMO) locked threads while mods discuss.

Finally I would never apply for the job of being a mod for two reasons.  The first is I don't think I am suitable, the second after my last job promotion as I approached retirement I promised myself I would never apply for another job.

Welcome back and a very sensible post