Calling other BMV 501 users

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

One big fat wire from negative post of the leisure bank with nothing else connected to it running to the shunt and all other negatives on the domestic circuits connected to the other end of the shunt.

Edit

Sorry I have since read more of the thread and see you say that is what you have and also mentioning a photo. So I looked at the photo and can see 4 batteries in parallel with a single wire to the shunt, but I can also see another black wire at the other end of the battery bank, the very bottom one in the photo 

Are you referring to the heavy duty cable from the bottom right neg post? If so, without tracing I'm guessing this maybe to the starter relay?

52 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Are you referring to the heavy duty cable from the bottom right neg post? If so, without tracing I'm guessing this maybe to the starter relay?

Yes, but it is also common to all the other 3 batteries and the shunt connection if the forth is a starter battery, if its 4 leisure batteries then there is still a second connection going somewhere connected to the wrong end of the shunt.

25 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes, but it is also common to all the other 3 batteries and the shunt connection if the forth is a starter battery, if its 4 leisure batteries then there is still a second connection going somewhere connected to the wrong end of the shunt.

I'm lost then for now. Will definitely have a look when next at boat to see where that one goes. Boat was built by professional builder in 2006 and have been informed (FWIW) that all systems are original installation. Would seem odd with two previous owners if none of this ever worked?

Just now, Markinaboat said:

I'm lost then for now. Will definitely have a look when next at boat to see where that one goes. Boat was built by professional builder in 2006 and have been informed (FWIW) that all systems are original installation. Would seem odd with two previous owners if none of this ever worked?

unless it's just trunking and and not actually connected to neg?

UPDATE!

Fitted Dr Bob's used BMV 501 on Monday and hey presto, all is working as it should! So my corrupt/naff 501 is heading for the bin.

A big THANKS to Bob and Pam, it was lovely meeting you both!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

7 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

UPDATE!

Fitted Dr Bob's used BMV 501 on Monday and hey presto, all is working as it should! So my corrupt/naff 501 is heading for the bin.

A big THANKS to Bob and Pam, it was lovely meeting you both!

Glad it worked Mark!!

Great to meet you at Weedon.

Catch up with you again.

• Happy 1