Where's this?

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Can anyone identify where this might have been taken? It must have been about 25 years ago, and as it's my son driving, it could have been somewhere between Leeds and Chester on the Leeds Liverpool or somewhere between Chester and Llangollen, as I think they were the only two long trips he did. Or it might even have been thirty years ago on the boats trip from Coventry just after I bought it. And I know the boat looks a disgrace - it looks a bit better now...

ScanImage001.jpg

13 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Which way would the boat be heading? If north, it could be on the way over to Chester from Coventry, which would have been the trip when it was bought. Would also explain the state of the boat. 

That makes more sense

I was going to say, it looks oddly familiar but I couldnt exactly place it till I read the answer!

Here; https//goo.gl/maps/SoGbjogG62u

Daniel

Screenshot_20181230-004801_Maps.jpg

All the office buildings have since been demolished, about five years ago, leaving a bridge over the road and canal which now goes to knowhere having previously fed into the offices at first floor level.

Daniel

I know the bridge but had not thought to follow up the history before! I'm not very good with looking up old Google views but have managed the 209 Street View at this loation and you can see the office building, being the only remaining building at that point.

Not sure if this link will work: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.174204,-2.425785,3a,75y,62.12h,84.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMj1vR5YCW4PT3axxuy6QpA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

16 hours ago, DHutch said:

I was going to say, it looks oddly familiar but I couldnt exactly place it till I read the answer!

Here; https//goo.gl/maps/SoGbjogG62u

Daniel

Screenshot_20181230-004801_Maps.jpg

All the office buildings have since been demolished, about five years ago, leaving a bridge over the road and canal which now goes to knowhere having previously fed into the offices at first floor level.

Daniel

I think there is a railway line running the length of that concrete building inside it.

9 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Oh wow, they are ace. I've seen the building first hand, noticing it's grandness and the detail of the bridge going into it, and passed it after demolition, but not fully remembered it's scale. 

I also didn't know you could go back through the years of Google images. 

5 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

When we cruised that pound this summer, even the footbridge had gone, IIRC, and it looked like they were getting ready to build on the site of the saltworks.

Fair. Seems such a waste but then I guess times moves on and they/we no longer need formal offices. 

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think there is a railway line running the length of that concrete building inside it.

Wouldn't be surprised if there are tracks inside. I don't really know what actually happens there. 

Charlie Atkins would tell the story of the foreman at one of the saltworks who always had a boiled egg during his morning break, and who would walk out to one of the mounds of salt with a teaspoon, in which he put a little salt for seasoning.