Stern Gland,maybe?

rocketman

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Ah yes, I forgot, I think you are a Thunderboat supporter ?.

The only trolls that I have identified here been thunderboaters, but then I have not identified enough for statistical significance.

I have my own personal reasons for been very suspicious of thunderboat but am not going to discuss that here.

More importantly I have thought about the original post a bit more and although there is some troll characteristics I am pretty sure that the op is genuine and so I apologise to him.

So, to the op, keep mopping out the water every day and see if it stops, old towels are good for this and every boat should have a stash of these. Antifreeze usually has a spectacularly bitter taste so is easy to identify. Maybe you could wring the towels out into a bucket to get a measure of how much you have, there is often a whole let less than you think.  Lots of boats have a bit of water in the bottom, especially in winter.

................Dave

You are perfectly correct that I am a member of TB as I am a member here and have been for 10 years  I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of the same applies to the many other .members  of Thunderboat who are also members here.

Not sure what the problem is but can assure you that trolling is not even on my list of things to do and I feel fairly confident that other TB members such as Dyertribe, Bearwood Boater, BFG, Patty Ann,  Metanoia etc etc likewise have no truck with Trolling

Phil

• Greenie 1

How can you both ....

1) Fill your stern gland with grease

2) Not know where it s

Surely it will still be where it was when you filled it with grease? :wacko:

Assuming you have found it, is water visibly coming out of it, yes or no?

11 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

How can you both ....

2) Not know where it s

I thought he meant he had found and filled his greaser which may well be quite remote from the stern gland,  must admit I thought as you did till I gave it a bit more thought.

Phil (I am not a troll)

Edited by Phil Ambrose

7 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

How can you both ....

2) Not know where it s

On some boats the stern gland greaser unit is 'on deck' with the pipe disappearing thru the deck to 'who knows where'.

Maybe the OP was shown it and told to fill it, but he doesn't know where the other end is (although not being interested enough to find out is troubling)

I presume the op didn't fill his stern gland with grease but filled the remote greaser and maybe then didn't turn it to push some great in to the stern gland.

A photo of what he filled with grease would probably help answer.

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

How can you both ....

2) Not know where it s

A few boats do have the stern greaser remote from gland itself, for example some hire boats (and others) have it out on the back deck, so as the op is new and probably not spot on with boating terminology he may have filled the greaser

I think the critical thing is to make sure that the water is not coming in through a wafer thin hull, everything else can be more easily fixed.

..............Dave

there are some great minds thinking alike here, at least one us us might be right ?

• Happy 1

Take it down to Bedford Basin (the little boatyard about 300 yards onto the Bridgewater canal, just one bridge after Leigh basin) .  Someone there will be able to tell you what you want to do next. 

Alternatively go the other side of Plank Lane bridge and shout across to Mark in one of the boats tied on the offside. He will help you drink beer and might look at your boat too! 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Take it down to Bedford Basin (the little boatyard about 300 yards onto the Bridgewater canal, just one bridge after Leigh basin) .  Someone there will be able to tell you what you want to do next. 

Alternatively go the other side of Plank Lane bridge and shout across to Mark in one of the boats tied on the offside. He will help you drink beer and might look at your boat too! 

Not a good idea just to turn up unannounced! It's a small private basin and you won't be able to just wander in as there's building work going on at the moment so it's off limits really.

1 minute ago, Liam said:

Not a good idea just to turn up unannounced! It's a small private basin and you won't be able to just wander in as there's building work going on at the moment so it's off limits really.

I agree you won't currently be able to get in the basin, but turn up outside and say "Help!" and you are unlikely to be ignored. 

Won't be Paul at the moment though. 

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, rocketman said:

Hello one and all..i am a total newbie to the canal so please bear with me., i have been let down by so many people regs my boat repairs plus the guy who sold it me isnt exactly forthcoming with help. Right, i have a 1920s(apparently) Dutch Barge..now i have  an inch or 2 of water coming in and i am told it is my Stern Gland,so i repacked it with grease(it was totally empty of grease) and am ready to give the engine a go to see if it works...now,in the engine house there is water gathering,even when i mop it out it just comes straight back ie a little puddle(half a mop bucket full) of it and it has a fruity smell like water,diesel and god knows what else....what i dont understand is that if it comes back immediately after mopping it out why oh why doesn't it continuously keep coming out and obviously eventually sink the boat or at best i end up with a huge amount of water in the Engine house?       

OR

even better,i am based at Leigh in Lancs, does anybody fancy the job lol? Thanks for reading. 

Hello rocketman,

As others have mentioned, pictures help enormously. Old Dutch barges can have 'quaint' fixtures and fittings not often seen by many boaters on these waterways. Even on my modern boat i have 2 'greasers', 1 for the stern gland, and another for a gland on my steering. If you haven't already, consider joining the DBA, the Dutch Barge Association. There is a wealth of knowledge on there. I wish you were closer, I would have nipped over for a gander.

I too am on Thunderboat, and also not a troll.

Joe

• Greenie 1

In the short term he doesn’t need to go anywhere.... a number of photos of the engine bay, including the prop shaft as far as possible, and skin tanks if any, will help people here to give some advice.

Ive often found that turning up somewhere and hoping for help, (ask for Paul, or Mark.... ), is a bit of a lottery in terms of whether it works or not.

Joining RCR is probably a good idea as they will come to you. I’m insured with GJW and the basic RCR package is included in the premium.

50 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Ive often found that turning up somewhere and hoping for help, (ask for Paul, or Mark.... ), is a bit of a lottery in terms of whether it works or not.

I would generally agree, but in this particular case I would suspect you don't know either Mark or Paul!

20 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

How can you both ....

2) Not know where it s

On my lifeboat the greasers were huge pots in the wheel house which took the grease on a long journey to the stern tubes. 

It took the best part of a gallon of grease to fill both pots and pipes before reaching the stern tubes buried under the back deck. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, carlt said:

On my lifeboat the greasers were huge pots in the wheel house which took the grease on a long journey to the stern tubes. 

It took the best part of a gallon of grease to fill both pots and pipes before reaching the stern tubes buried under the back deck. 

Well said Carlt, this is a 1920 Dutch Barge not a 2005 Liverpool boat, it could be anywhere with all sorts of configuration.

Would be nice to see a pic.

"Dutch Barge" is a sort of all encompassing term that can mean just about anything that is not narrow, not a fat narrowboat, and not plastic.

There are a couple of boats in that area which fall into the "interesting and pleasing old tub" category. I wonder if its one of those? If it is then some slightly eccentric engineering might be possible.

I will be passing just after Easter next year but it probably needs somebody to look before that ?.

................Dave

On 29/12/2018 at 17:23, Phil Ambrose said:

You are perfectly correct that I am a member of TB as I am a member here and have been for 10 years  I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of the same applies to the many other .members  of Thunderboat who are also members here.

Not sure what the problem is but can assure you that trolling is not even on my list of things to do and I feel fairly confident that other TB members such as Dyertribe, Bearwood Boater, BFG, Patty Ann,  Metanoia etc etc likewise have no truck with Trolling

Phil

What about me Phil cant I be a troll sounds like a great job ?

• Greenie 1