Model of Hardy.

Tom909

Featured Posts

Just before Xmas I picked up this model of an old narrowboat. It is 39” long and done in what might be described as ‘a naive style’. I think it is a real beauty!

i’m wondering if it is a model of the Hardy that was in the news this year for sinking, and that is being currently restored.

4E1BC05A-7D0E-44C1-B973-89F1732F45D8.jpeg

A1AECD5C-8EEA-4314-AEAA-5418186713EA.jpeg

3FA31F4E-6988-4BA6-8F08-ACC710264A78.jpeg

1EE99566-1185-4513-A3C6-C1D0C87C14B6.jpeg

• Greenie 3

Looking at the model I'd say there is a good chance it is modelled on NB Hardy, exhaust stack is in the right place.

NB Hardy is at Tooley's Yard at Banbury undergoing restoration.

http://www.tooleysboatyard.co.uk/

William Humphris captained her for a while.

He had the fore cabin built to house some of his family.

Picture from NarrowBoat Magazine. Hardy at Banbury with William Humphris in the cabin entrance.

Hardy at Banbury.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Hardy in the Barlow fleet was unusual in having a bow cabin but even more unusually this was built in the bottom of the boat behind the deck beam.  The model isn’t like this showing it instead in the more conventional position in front of the cratch.

So not sure how familiar the model maker was with the actual boat Hardy...

Paul

Edited by Paul H

I think it is a lovely thing, not in any way spoilt by not being an accurate scale model of an actual boat.

From my observations of this kind of model, it seems to very usual for the hold portion of the boat to be shortened to something of the order of half the length it would have been in practice.

From memory the canal museum at Stoke Bruerne has several models of shortened narrow boats, and there is another in the bar of the Boat Inn in the same village.

I agree with Dave that it was quite likely made by a boatman.

I'd say the effort put into the miniature roses is quite unusual, and is a really nice feature.

Lucky you!

Thank you all so much for all the info.

I run a secondhand tool stall and I couldn’t believe it when I saw the boat on the next door stall. It was 7 in the morning and a dealer was straight in there negotiating to buy it - I was gutted. In the end he wouldn’t pay the price my neighbour wanted, so as he walked off I just got my wallet out and paid for it.

I can’t wait to get up to the museum now to take a look at the other models.

1 hour ago, Tom909 said:

For models of NB's the museum at Stoke Bruerne is your best bet, picture from S B.

Other museums are available, Ellesmere Port, Gloucester, London Canal Museum and Foxton.

DSCF5056.jpg

Hi everyone. 

As it seems that some of you are interested in narrowboat models I thought you might like to have a look at these. They are both scratch-built from balsa. I am not an experienced modeller, nor am I a boat person, so there are probably many many technical errors.....please excuse! I have very little knowledge of boats apart from strolling along the canal and admiring them. These two were built purely for fun to while away the hours of retirement. Please also excuse the poor photography!

Happy New Year to you all.

429CCF03-6443-4E77-A362-3A88D2D371ED.jpeg

D0A1C598-7FB3-4A95-BD95-1CBEEDF5A8EF.jpeg

65056FA2-C69F-4596-9018-DF40B23D940C.jpeg

BC5B2889-6816-4112-9A69-85762657D091.jpeg

42F90556-886D-43FC-836D-468D9B9C2DDB.jpeg

C9FC56EE-1A4F-43AF-839B-1C8F9D33D94B.jpeg

• Greenie 2
  • Love 2

On 29/12/2018 at 16:57, Tom909 said:

Thank you all so much for all the info.

I run a secondhand tool stall and I couldn’t believe it when I saw the boat on the next door stall. It was 7 in the morning and a dealer was straight in there negotiating to buy it - I was gutted. In the end he wouldn’t pay the price my neighbour wanted, so as he walked off I just got my wallet out and paid for it.

Despite what your friend Google may say if you are thinking of coming to the Museum in Stoke Bruerne it doesn't reopen until Saturday 16-Feb-19.

23 hours ago, Ursamajor4148 said:

Thank you for your kind remarks.

That’s right Mark, Lupin was moored up at Coppermill Lock. I don’t know if she's still there as I haven’t been up that way lately.

Lupin always seems to be there. Mind you, we decamped from that area (we were offside and above Black Jacks Lock)  a year ago.

Edited by mark99

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Lupin always seems to be there. Mind you, we decamped from that area (we were offside and above Black Jacks Lock)  a year ago.

Lupin is owned by the manager of the Hillingdon Narrowboat Project boats, so it is not surprising that it has a home mooring at the same location.