Brass head lamp

Rory_d

Featured Posts

Hi guys, 

does anybody know know where I can get a traditional brass head lamp for the narrow boat.

its got the brass mounting bracket on the boat but no lamp, I cannot find a replacement one for love nor money anywhere! Looked online at many chandlers and all I can find is modern led ones but I just don’t like the look of them and want to keep the boat looking original,

any ideas much appreciated

Midland Chandlers: https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1938/product/vn-005.aspx

LAMP WIPAC 8" S/S 4X4 LAMP S6013C
Auto Jumble: 

You will need to make sure it has a wire return. Not through the body of the boat, if you get a car one.

Edited by Ray T

All the working boats i knew in the 1960's used an old car fog light as a tunnel light. The fog light lens is better because it throws a wide letterbox beam, which can be adjusted to illuminate the roof of the tunnel.

Here is a photo of the one we had on Helvetia -  it was an old Lucas King of the Road Fog Light fitted with a 45 watt tungsten bulb.

983141096_Lamp03.JPG.3819093cd21ed0a53dd23259bdc3edaf.JPG

Edited by David Schweizer

I agree with previous posters.

A traditional light would be very unlikely to have been brass on the outside.

Many were chromed, and as David suggests, the use of vehicle foglamps was the most popular, because they throw a suitable wide beam, rather than a narrow spotlight.

Huge brass lights, (and particularly those more appropriate to a fire engine), are a new fad to add a lot of expensive modern boats as bling, but are not "traditional", (or at least not on a narrow boat).

Many of the published pictures of our boat "Flamingo" at work, actually show something quite small and inconsequential, though no doubt it did the buisiness.....

Narrow_Boats_Chaplain_001.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Huge brass lights, (and particularly those more appropriate to a fire engine), are a new fad to add a lot of expensive modern boats as bling, but are not "traditional", (or at least not on a narrow boat).

Many of the published pictures of our boat "Flamingo" at work, actually show something quite small and inconsequential, though no doubt it did the buisiness.....

There is always the exception......

Large tunnel light.jpg

Edited by Ray T

I don’t recall brass headlamps on the working boats I knew in the 60s,most were chromed or black. Neither am I a fan of the searchlight style from fire engines. Middletown’s of Manchester used to supply replica lamps, ours served perfectly for many years, they may still carry stock.

54 minutes ago, Ray T said:

There is always the exception......

Large tunnel light.jpg

That's not an exception to what I actually said, because I think it is chrome rather than brass finish.

Flamingo in it's Willow Wren days carried a variety.

This one appears to be painted, and is significantly larger than the one on the last picture I posted.

flamingo & butty at Winkwell swing bridge, Grand Union Canal, 1963 (Derek Andrews slide no. 2004).jpg

21 hours ago, Rory_d said:

Hi guys, 

does anybody know know where I can get a traditional brass head lamp for the narrow boat.

its got the brass mounting bracket on the boat but no lamp, I cannot find a replacement one for love nor money anywhere! Looked online at many chandlers and all I can find is modern led ones but I just don’t like the look of them and want to keep the boat looking original,

any ideas much appreciated

You could also try Holdens Vintage and Classic in Bromyard Worcs

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Although many older boats do earth through the holding bolt.

Which is on the BSSC check list :

3.7.1 Is the electrical system insulated from the hull? 

Check any wiring that can be seen to a suitable device
such as a horn, headlamp, or navigation light for the
presence of a two‐wire insulated cable.

Electrical systems using the hull as a conductor
will not pass this check.

NOTE – an electrical fitment attached to a metal hull or superstructure and having only a single wire
connected indicates the use of the hull as a conductor.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Which is on the BSSC check list :

3.7.1 Is the electrical system insulated from the hull? 

Check any wiring that can be seen to a suitable device
such as a horn, headlamp, or navigation light for the
presence of a two‐wire insulated cable.

Electrical systems using the hull as a conductor
will not pass this check.

NOTE – an electrical fitment attached to a metal hull or superstructure and having only a single wire
connected indicates the use of the hull as a conductor.

What you have failed to include though is that this is only an advisory point.

Non compliance is not a BSS failure.

As Matty suggests, I suspect vast numbers of boats would not pass this test.

32 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

What you have failed to include though is that this is only an advisory point.

Non compliance is not a BSS failure.

As Matty suggests, I suspect vast numbers of boats would not pass this test.

I did not suggest, or even allude to, the fact it would be a 'fail'.

Irrespective of the BSS, it is not a good idea (electrically) to use the hull as a 'return'