Handheld vacuum

blackrose

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

The idea of spending £200 for a vacuum makes me think the world has gone mad.

Agreed, but horses for courses and all that.

After spending £50 on an upright recommended here, then £40 on a B & D 12v, and being repeatedly irritated and frustrated with both, spending £200 4 or 5 years ago resulted in no further irritation and frustration. At less than a quid a week, and falling every year, it was money well spent.... for me!

Nobody has to do what I have done :) As above, I’m just passing on the benefit of my experience. As they say, YMMV 

Several previous threads on this so maybe worth a search.

The handheld Dysons are much better than anything else but are expensive and some people just don't like Dyson.

MtB pointed out that the latest Dysons are not as good as the previous generations, especially if you like to suck up ash, as the filter clogs much more quickly and is harder to clean. It will be sad if Mikes huge knowledge is lost to this forum.

The Makita has initial good reports but is much better value if you already own other Makita tools so have a set of batteries (Makita stuff can be purchased at much reduced cost without batteries and charger).

.............Dave

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’d dispute that. Have you ever used a G-Tech K9?

No, I read a couple of reviews of them stating they were not much good, though my opinion of reviews on the www is very low.

I think the main criticism was the rotary brush jamming and then failing, but I don't know if the brush is an essential feature.

I half remember that the Dyson had a rotary brush that pretty useless  ?

..............Dave

I just saw a bloke demonstrating the Dyson handheld (£199) at Currys. Just as I started talking to him the idiot emptied it all over the floor right next to me which sent up a cloud of dust and started me off sneezing. I have a dust mite allergy. It's fine if it's on the floor, I just don't want to breathe in a cloud of the stuff. Anyway, it picked up the dirt ok but it really didn't seem that powerful or anything special. Certainly not worth the money in my opinion. 

If that's really the best that's out there I won't bother with one at all and just stick to the trusty dustpan & brush!

Edited by blackrose

20 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If that's really the best that's out there I won't bother with one at all and just stick to the trusty dustpan & brush!

This "dustpan and brush" of which you speak. How many amp.hours does it take out of the boat batteries to charge up? How long does a single charge last? Can you get spare parts easily?

Jen?

I've got one of the B&Ds like that, probably an earlier version as ours is a few years old. Works well but the filter needs cleaning frequently and is a messy business best done outside. It ideally needs a vacuum cleaner to clean the vacuum cleaner's filter. It's lasted well.

20 hours ago, blackrose said:

I just saw a bloke demonstrating the Dyson handheld (£199) at Currys. Just as I started talking to him the idiot emptied it all over the floor right next to me which sent up a cloud of dust and started me off sneezing.

If you operate the emptying mechanism at the wrong time, the above will happen. It's difficult, (but not impossible), to do it accidentally... so the "idiot", as you call him, obviously didnt know how it worked, (perhaps a case of RTFM, particularly if doing a demo in a big store).

It's not rocket science, and the cheaper models are equally capable of creating a dust cloud if operated incorrectly.

I think the more recent, (and more expensive), Dysons have a better emptying facility, as do the G Techs, (IIRC).

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

If you operate the emptying mechanism at the wrong time, the above will happen. It's difficult, (but not impossible), to do it accidentally... so the "idiot", as you call him, obviously didnt know how it worked, (perhaps a case of RTFM, particularly if doing a demo in a big store).

It's not rocket science, and the cheaper models are equally capable of creating a dust cloud if operated incorrectly.

I think the more recent, (and more expensive), Dysons have a better emptying facility, as do the G Techs, (IIRC).

I'm pretty sure that very soon someone very clever will invent a better dust disposal system, perhaps by collecting all of the dust in a disposable bag so that no dust cloud is created. ?

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

I'm pretty sure that very soon someone very clever will invent a better dust disposal system, perhaps by collecting all of the dust in a disposable bag so that no dust cloud is created. ?

If the G Tech marketing is to be believed, their upright compacts it in the floor roller unit, and it just falls out as a fairly solid block... no dust. Not sure about the handheld.

Dysons latest, ultra expensive model, seems to have a means of expelling the waste in one slide of a lever, which definitely looks better than the current way.

20 minutes ago, cuthound said:

G-Tech are now advertising bagged vacuums as the next step forward, as though they've just invented them. 

Edited by stegra