Handheld vacuum

blackrose

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Been discussed before, some of us swear by Dyson handheld, others swear at Dyson handheld!!

Which model is that? I've read the mixed reviews of Dysons on upright cordless vacuum threads so I guess the same principle applies. I saw more negative reviews so I think I'd avoid the brand.

Edited by blackrose

8 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

You could ask him I suppose, you got his contact details?

No I met him about 6 years ago but don't have his personal contact details anymore. As far as I'm aware anyone can instant message anyone else on this forum. I talked to him on a thread a couple of weeks ago but I'm not sure what you're talking about? What's a shame? Is he ok?

Edited by blackrose

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

No I met him about 6 years ago but don't have his personal contact details. As far as I'm aware anyone can instant message anyone else on this forum. I talked to him on a thread a couple of weeks ago but

I'm not sure what you're talking about? What's a shame?

The word on the street is that he no longer frequents this forum. 

We have a Dyson upright at home and on the boat. We also have a Dyson V6 cordless handheld on the boat and at home. The handhelds both have the extension attachments, so can act as an upright for 6 mins or 20 mins, dependent on the power desired.

On the boat I initially tried a £50 upright, and a £40 12v Black and decker dust buster. Both irritating and prove the old adage, “buy cheap, buy twice!”

Can’t believe I spent a couple of hundred quid each on 4 vacuum cleaners, but they are all worth every penny.

10 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

We have a Dyson upright at home and on the boat. We also have a Dyson V6 cordless handheld on the boat and at home. The handhelds both have the extension attachments, so can act as an upright for 6 mins or 20 mins, dependent on the power desired.

On the boat I initially tried a £50 upright, and a £40 12v Black and decker dust buster. Both irritating and prove the old adage, “buy cheap, buy twice!”

Can’t believe I spent a couple of hundred quid each on 4 vacuum cleaners, but they are all worth every penny.

I wouldn't say that the B&D unit is cheap and it does get some good reviews on the Currys website and on Amazon.

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I wouldn't say that the B&D unit is cheap and it does get some good reviews on the Currys website and on Amazon.

It’s not two hundred quid like the Dyson V6 :)

I read the reviews of the Black and Decker when I bought mine for £40 a few years ago.  They were very good. With hindsight, I can honestly say that the Dyson is at least 5 times better, (although it is charged by 240v, so not all boats will be able to power it).

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

It’s not two hundred quid like the Dyson V6 :)

I read the reviews of the Black and Decker when I bought mine for £40 a few years ago.  They were very good. With hindsight, I can honestly say that the Dyson is at least 5 times better, 

Was your £40 B&D handheld an 18v model? I think that one has only been out for about a year and a half so I'm not sure if you're comparing eggs with eggs.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned when it comes to vacuum cleaners they only really have to be good enough to do the job, so nothing is going to persuade me to part with 200 quid for a small handheld unit. It's just going to be used for those times when it's a small job and I can't be bothered to get the bigger corded vac out, so I'm not going to spend a small fortune on one. If I was going to do that I'd buy the G-Tech K2 for £120 as it actually has better reviews than the Dyson.

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Which model is that? I've read the mixed reviews of Dysons on upright cordless vacuum threads so I guess the same principle applies. I saw more negative reviews so I think I'd avoid the brand.

I have the DC30 with all the fittings at home and bought another for the boat with just the basic brush head. Got mine from the Dyson outlet on Ebay, something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dyson-DC30-Handheld-Battery-Hoover-Vacuum-Cleaner-Serviced-Cleaned/113089980890?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D0b6b1249853e4db989888387d9621f25%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D173694488957%26itm%3D113089980890&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Was your £40 B&D handheld an 18v model? I think that one has only been out for about a year and a half so I'm not sure if you're comparing eggs with eggs.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned when it comes to vacuum cleaners they only really have to be good enough to do the job, so nothing is going to persuade me to part with 200 quid for a small handheld unit. It's just going to be used for those times when it's a small job and I can't be bothered to get the bigger corded vac out, so I'm not going to spend a small fortune on one. If I was going to do that I'd buy the G-Tech K2 for £120 as it actually has better reviews than the Dyson.

My B & D was 12v. Probably about 4 or 5 years ago.

You should buy what seems best for you... you don’t seem to want it for the same things I do. Just passing on my experiences :) 

Vacuum cleaners that are very powerful can be a nuisance. They tend to keep trying to suck things in that you don't want sucked in and keep clinging to thing which you don't want clung onto,  like if you go too near the curtains, a newspaper, currency notes, your pinny, baggy trousers, coal out of the coal skuttle,  things from which your forever having to yank the nozzle away from, which make the motor scream like anything as well. All very frustrating. I'd go for moderate suck, cheaper too.

Cheap always worked for me, on the boat. About 20 years ago I got a Dirt Devil for £20 and it still works. For all other needs a dustpan and brush was always sufficient ,after all, a boat isn’t very big, and only carpets need a vacuuming. The idea of spending £200 for a vacuum makes me think the world has gone mad.