Speed limits

Antony

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Speed over ground is almost universal, not sure how you would measure speed through water. ( I know how it's done)

For boaters convenience the Broads Authority have 1/4 mile posts to time yourself, likewise on the River Great Ouse.

Phil

Between Nottingham and Gainsborough, where ABP take over from CaRT as the navigation authority, the river Trent has posts at 1km intervals, which you could use for speed calculation. I have used GPS speedo apps to measure boat speed over ground. With the tide behind you you can be going at a considerable pace without really trying in a narrow boat. You only realise when you meet something fixed, like a bridge. Lining up for the correct arch of the Gainsborough bridge coming up really fast and seeing the water boiling round the abutments can be a bit scary. No second chances!

Jen

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Between Nottingham and Gainsborough, where ABP take over from CaRT as the navigation authority, the river Trent has posts at 1km intervals, which you could use for speed calculation. I have used GPS speedo apps to measure boat speed over ground. With the tide behind you you can be going at a considerable pace without really trying in a narrow boat. You only realise when you meet something fixed, like a bridge. Lining up for the correct arch of the Gainsborough bridge coming up really fast and seeing the water boiling round the abutments can be a bit scary. No second chances!

Jen

This bridge?

20180526-081915.jpg

We like that one. Means we can get the throttle down.

• Happy 1

46 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

3mph.

It is suitable for the waterway. It can do the speed limit, just.

Perhaps your boat isn't suitable for the rivers as it can't do the speed limit?

I’ll think you will find the clue is in the term “limit” not “minimum”. Let’s hope you don’t drive your car in the same manner....

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Maybe your boat isn’t suitable for the waterway then.....

Narrowboats are outnumbered by cruisers in the Lincoln area.

Any boat can do 3mph. But not necessarily without being in and out of gear.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Narrowboats are outnumbered by cruisers in the Lincoln area.

Any boat can do 3mph. But not necessarily without being in and out of gear.

I realise that....it’s fun making them nervous when manoeuvring a narrowboat near them...I laughed a lot....they didn’t see the funny side sadly.  

6 minutes ago, frangar said:

I realise that....it’s fun making them nervous when manoeuvring a narrowboat near them...I laughed a lot....they didn’t see the funny side sadly.  

Not surprising .

Equally narroboaters don't see the funny side if a cruiser passes making a little wave.

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

3+ mph I would say :D

That picture is not in Lincoln. It is Gainsborough .

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Through Lincoln it is 3mph. 

ETA: on the Witham the limit is 6mph.

Many of the boats on the Fossditch can't even do 3mph in tick over. Ours can just. Some are looking at at least 4mph in tick over so be prepared that not all boats will be travelling as slowly as you would expect.

It's not difficult to maintain a speed less than tickover.... not really an excuse for exceeding a speed limit, or going too fast past moored boats.

Edited by Richard10002

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

It's not difficult to maintain a speed less than tickover.... not really an excuse for exceeding a speed limit, or going too fast past moored boats.

The voice of someone who has never handled a light cruiser.

16 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

3+ mph I would say :D

Indeed. No speed limit below Gainsborough. 

15 minutes ago, frangar said:

Equally funny to see the nervous faces of narrowboatists on the Trent as cruisers gain on them at high speed.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Equally funny to see the nervous faces of narrowboatists on the Trent as cruisers gain on them at high speed.

I just think they are like BMW drivers....inadequate in most areas so they try and prove themselves by bad driving....same on land and water....oh and my narrowboat really isn’t fussed by the waves cruisers make...they are all froth & no substance....

10 minutes ago, frangar said:

I just think they are like BMW drivers....inadequate in most areas so they try and prove themselves by bad driving....same on land and water....oh and my narrowboat really isn’t fussed by the waves cruisers make...they are all froth & no substance....

What's the problem then?

You won't mind if they pass you  bit quicker than you would travel.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

What's the problem then?

You seem to be excusing boaters who exceed speed limits, as well as those who travel too fast past moored boats..... why would you do that?

8 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

What's the problem then?

I love the trent and the diverse boats /ships especialy at the business end below Gainsborough. I have never encountered any problems with the huge stuff passing or indeed small cruisers. the boat rocks a bit and if the wind is blowing small waves break over the front of the boat and ya gets wet. On a very high spring tide its a case of going sideways sometimes approaching Gainsborough arches then booting the boat straight but its all part of proper boating. Soem people dont like the serious rivers which is their choice and speeding on narrow canals is certainly annoying and uneccesary but giving it what for on the de restricted lengths of such as the Trent is absolutely fine.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

You seem to be excusing boaters who exceed speed limits, as well as those who travel too fast past moored boats..... why would you do that?

Ask the moorers in brayford when she was at the helm what they thought about her attitude to moored boats and speeding.....

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Ask the moorers in brayford when she was at the helm what they thought about her attitude to moored boats and speeding.....

Stop stirring!
Why you have to bring up an old story I do not know, other than to be troublesome.
Give it a rest.

8 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Wasn't that in response to a post seemingly excusing narrowboaters making moored grp owners nervous due to manoeuvring too close? 

I am moored in salcombe harbour and, despite the proliferation of fast moving cruisers the biggest wash is caused by the little tenders and, Ironically, the Harbour master's launch. 

2 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Stop stirring!
Why you have to bring up an old story I do not know, other than to be troublesome.
Give it a rest.

I brought it up but it was meant as a lighthearted josh and required no justification or continued animosity. 

I have a boat that is in excellent order but still fully expect to be lightheartedly teased about previous flirtations with wooden sinkers. 

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

....... its all part of proper boating....

Kind of says it all really!

As in any walk of life, as you will know only too well, there are always some who will break the rules, for a whole variety of reasons. Some are pushing boundaries, some will make excuses, and some just don’t think the law and rules apply to them... occasionally, there will be some who are naive and inexperienced, so just don’t know.

4 minutes ago, carlt said:

Wasn't that in response to a post seemingly excusing narrowboaters making moored grp owners nervous due to manoeuvring too close? 

My post was a general comment on an attitude that pervades several posts, rather than the specific post

On 30/12/2018 at 12:27, Richard10002 said:

Not excusing it no. We are just used too it and don't make a fuss if a boat passes a bit quicker then it probably should. 

And we certainly don't complain about the local brokerage taking boats out on high speed test when they are perfectly within their rights to do so.

If you don't like it. Don't visit. As simple as.

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:43, Graham Davis said:

Stop stirring!
Give it a rest.

It isn't troublesome.

It's just teasing another forum member who can take the joshing, and can hand it out in equal measure.

It isn't even as if anybody mentioned the best way to operate a moveable bridge.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, mayalld said:

It isn't troublesome.

It's just teasing another forum member who can take the joshing, and can hand it out in equal measure.

It isn't even as if anybody mentioned the best way to operate a moveable bridge.

Citation needed!