Speed limits

Antony

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Antony said:

Can someone please tell me what the speed limit is on rivers and canals,and is it the same on both ? thank you 

Most canals are 4 MPH or a wash which ever is the slower, Rivers can all be different and you need to check local information.

3 hours ago, Antony said:

Thank you ditchcrawler 

Thanks Loddon,I will try and find out what the river Brayford is ?

I think you mean Brayford Pool in Lincoln - which should be slow as its is mostly occupied by moored boats - certainly not more than 4mph.

The Fossdyke Navigation , Lincoln to Torksey , is a canal therefore 4mph

On 28/12/2018 at 18:06, Loddon said:

No

For starters from memory

Canals 4mph

R.Thames 8kph

R.Nene 7mph

R.Gt Ouse 4mph/7mph depending on where you are

R.Avon 4mph upstream 6mph downstream

Interesting - so does the Severn have the highest speed limits (6mph upstream, 8mph downstream)?

On 28/12/2018 at 17:57, Antony said:

Can someone please tell me what the speed limit is on rivers and canals,and is it the same on both ? thank you 

Sorry for being stuffy, but shouldn't the speed be more about the wash you're leaving behind, so your boat doesn't disturb habitats and the bank

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Sorry for being stuffy, but shouldn't the speed be more about the wash you're leaving behind, so your boat doesn't disturb habitats and the bank

There should be no chance of anything like that from my boat as I only have a small electric motor and a pair of oars ?

11 minutes ago, Detling said:

interestingly the Thames speed limit is speed over the ground not through the water so tickover downstream can be mighty close to speeding and flat out upstream you can be well under the speed limit.

Speed over ground is almost universal, not sure how you would measure speed through water. ( I know how it's done)

For boaters convenience the Broads Authority have 1/4 mile posts to time yourself, likewise on the River Great Ouse.

Phil

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

Exactly!  4mph is too fast for many situations and unnecessarily restrictive in others.

Given I don't even have a speedo fitted, I pay attention to my wash relative to the condition of the canal, moored boats etc not some imaginary speed limit.

George

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

Maybe - and that determines my maximum speed on canals, which is nowhere near 4mph, but on the Severn it would be easy to break the speed limit without producing a huge wash (depending on the boat - I break the speed limit all the time in a kayak*, but don't produce any significant wash - some big boats however are already producing lots of wash at those speeds, hence they're not necessarily nominal).

* before anybody complains the speed limits only apply to powered boats

10 minutes ago, aracer said:

Maybe - and that determines my maximum speed on canals, which is nowhere near 4mph, but on the Severn it would be easy to break the speed limit without producing a huge wash (depending on the boat - I break the speed limit all the time in a kayak*, but don't produce any significant wash - some big boats however are already producing lots of wash at those speeds, hence they're not necessarily nominal).

Yes, in the summer when we were on the Nene, there were times in deep water where we felt we were travelling fast, but the reeds hardly moved.

33 minutes ago, aracer said:

Upstream against normal flow I can only dream of achieving the speed limit in our narrowboat.

On 28/12/2018 at 21:17, MartynG said:

I think you mean Brayford Pool in Lincoln - which should be slow as its is mostly occupied by moored boats - certainly not more than 4mph.

The Fossdyke Navigation , Lincoln to Torksey , is a canal therefore 4mph

Through Lincoln it is 3mph. 

ETA: on the Witham the limit is 6mph.

Many of the boats on the Fossditch can't even do 3mph in tick over. Ours can just. Some are looking at at least 4mph in tick over so be prepared that not all boats will be travelling as slowly as you would expect.

Edited by Naughty Cal

37 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Through Lincoln it is 3mph. 

ETA: on the Witham the limit is 6mph.

Many of the boats on the Fossditch can't even do 3mph in tick over. Ours can just. Some are looking at at least 4mph in tick over so be prepared that not all boats will be travelling as slowly as you would expect.

And Brayford Pool? 

Maybe your boat isn’t suitable for the waterway then.....

1 hour ago, frangar said:

And Brayford Pool? 

Maybe your boat isn’t suitable for the waterway then.....

3mph.

It is suitable for the waterway. It can do the speed limit, just.

Perhaps your boat isn't suitable for the rivers as it can't do the speed limit?