A place for naughty boys and girls!

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Just a thought

Instead of banning people completely would it be possible to ban them from posting in the forums and to give them their own unmoderated Sub Forum where only they could post and only registered users could view.

This would allow them to vent and others could see how silly they are and laugh at them.

J

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Nothing to do with this idea of yours, but I used to have a very naughty cat called Fat Freddy.

OK, are we off Topic yet?

Mozart,

its been used in TV ads, it must be good

Edited by LadyG

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

It is an interesting idea, thank you.

I have heard that other fora which go some way towards meeting your criteria are available,.

I knew you would try to be funny/miss the point, I guess its the price you pay for being an academic!

Why should other fora get the fun they might not want the castoffs

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

I knew you would try to be funny/miss the point, I guess its the price you pay for being an academic!

I have done neither. My reply is an honest one.

48 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

The biggest objection I have to all this is the use of the pseudo-plural 'fora'.  :rolleyes:

Oh bloody Norum....

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

We could turn this idea around and have one very heavily moderated section - "Safe Space" or similar ...

I can see your line of thinking but I should like to think that it's all "Safe Space", whether it's General Boating, New to Boating, Living Afloat or *gasp* The Virtual Pub and not just in one catch all generic category :)

I agree, the forum rules and guidelines should not exclude fun from being had, so using them for the whole site should support an all round site which can be enjoyed by the majority.

Should people wish to also use other sites in other ways that is also good. I use many other forums, but find canalworld best for my boating needs.

Daniel

On 28/12/2018 at 17:07, Mac of Cygnet said:

The biggest objection I have to all this is the use of the pseudo-plural 'fora'.  :rolleyes:

Why? The grammatically correct plural of Forum is "Fora", there is nothing pseuso about it at all. However, the Anglicised "Forums" is now becoming recognised as the more popular form.

Would a group of boring newspapers and radio stations constitute the Mass Tedia? Or several backsdes be ba?

Alas, analogies frequently don't work in English, to the delight of native speakers and the confusion of those trying to learn it as a foreign language.

Edited by Athy

10 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Why? The grammatically correct plural of Forum is "Fora", there is nothing pseuso about it at all. However, the Anglicised "Forums" is now becoming recognised as the more popular form.

The forum we are discussing is an English word, of which the plural is 'forums'.  If we were discussing Roman market places in Latin the plural would be 'fora'.

I called it 'pseudo' because the use of 'fora' here is pretentious and incorrect usage.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

The forum we are discussing is an English word, of which the plural is 'forums'.  If we were discussing Roman market places in Latin the plural would be 'fora'.

I called it 'pseudo' because the use of 'fora' here is pretentious and incorrect usage.

Oh dear, I've just realised that we've got Flora in our fridge.  Its definitely pseudo butter, but is it also similarly pretentious?  If so, should I ask her indoors to stop using it? ;)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Oh dear, I've just realised that we've got Flora in our fridge.  Its definitely pseudo butter, but is it also similarly pretentious?  If so, should I ask her indoors to stop using it? ;)

Ah, but she was singular. She was one of yer goddesses.

8 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Both the Oxford and Collins dictionaries show the plural of "forum" to be either "fora", or "forums", with no differentiation between usage, pretentious or otherwise. . Of course Athy, being a retired academic, would know that.